U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:21 AM

25,870 posts, read 34,612,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

But is CFL not entertaining enough for you guys?
The CFL used to be a lot more popular, and as a result felt a lot more "big time" and was much more fun to follow.

Then (many) Canadians decided it wasn't "big time" enough for them and came to view anything that wasn't American or involved the Americans in some way, as unworthy of their interest.

The CFL is actually a much higher calibre gridiron football league than where the MLS ranks in the global soccer structure.

Yet so many Canadians think the CFL sucks but that the MLS is great simply because the MLS is a US-based league.

It's American, so it's gotta be the best, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 12:28 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,723,849 times
Not necessarily, Acajack. Note that I will confine my remarks to the alleged "NFL is better than CFL" comments above, and I'll leave soccer out of this.

This is a topic on which I can expound at length, so I will try to be brief. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that the NFL did everything right, and the CFL did everything wrong.

I can agree with you that the CFL is a high-calibre gridiron football league. It is slightly different from the NFL in terms of rules, and size of field, and the like; but the two games are so similar that players and skills are interchangeable. I recall reading something by Joe Thiesmann (Toronto Argos, Washington Redskins) that said that the two leagues were pretty much complimentary to each other. If a CFL and NFL superstar says that, he's not telling Canadians that the NFL is better just because it's American. And other CFL and NFL superstars have been happy to play in Canada; among them Warren Moon and Doug Flutie, both of whom (to the best of my knowledge) have only said good things about CFL football.

As I recall, it was the late 60s/early 70s when the leagues diverged in their approaches. The NFL saw its future in TV, licensing broadcasts to networks, and consolidating all their games on a single day of the week: Sunday. Monday Night Football would come along on ABC in 1970, but that was it. Gate receipts and packed stadiums were nice, but TV revenues were where the NFL decided it was at.

However, the CFL relied on gate receipts to survive, and it played on various days (I remember attending an Argo game in Toronto on a Tuesday night, for example). Oh sure, there was TV coverage, but it wasn't as important as putting butts in Canadian stadiums' seats, so there were blackout rules. Which is why a couple of generations of Canadian kids never got to see their home team play on TV, except for away games--which may have happened on a school night and in a different time zone. Just try watching your Argos play the Lions in Vancouver on a school night when kickoff is three hours past your bedtime. Meanwhile, thanks to proximity to the border and cable, those Canadian kids could watch the NFL every Sunday afternoon, guaranteed. It was easier to watch the NFL in other words: all games but one, on one day a week, and all over TV. So, the NFL picked up a bunch of young Canadian fans, who just wanted to watch football on TV, but who couldn't watch CFL; and thus, lost interest in the CFL.

Like I said, the games themselves are different, because of the rules. I took my American ex-wife (a big fan of the NFL's Denver Broncos) to a Stampeders home game maybe 15 or so years ago, and she fell in love with the CFL. She found it very exciting, and called it a much more "open" game, with only three downs to make ten, no "fair catch" rule, offensive backfield in motion, and as a result, a lot more passing plays than in the NFL. As she pointed out, it was almost a more skilful game, than when you had a down to waste on an experimental play. An anecdote is never data, but she was one American who didn't see the NFL as better because it was American--to her, both the Canadian and American forms of gridiron football were equally as good.

Some thoughts, anyway.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 10-27-2022 at 12:41 AM..

Old 10-27-2022, 01:11 PM

17,495 posts, read 13,238,999 times
Some may know this.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...911-story.html

Old 10-27-2022, 01:43 PM

25,870 posts, read 34,612,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Not necessarily, Acajack. Note that I will confine my remarks to the alleged "NFL is better than CFL" comments above, and I'll leave soccer out of this.

This is a topic on which I can expound at length, so I will try to be brief. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that the NFL did everything right, and the CFL did everything wrong.

I can agree with you that the CFL is a high-calibre gridiron football league. It is slightly different from the NFL in terms of rules, and size of field, and the like; but the two games are so similar that players and skills are interchangeable. I recall reading something by Joe Thiesmann (Toronto Argos, Washington Redskins) that said that the two leagues were pretty much complimentary to each other. If a CFL and NFL superstar says that, he's not telling Canadians that the NFL is better just because it's American. And other CFL and NFL superstars have been happy to play in Canada; among them Warren Moon and Doug Flutie, both of whom (to the best of my knowledge) have only said good things about CFL football.

As I recall, it was the late 60s/early 70s when the leagues diverged in their approaches. The NFL saw its future in TV, licensing broadcasts to networks, and consolidating all their games on a single day of the week: Sunday. Monday Night Football would come along on ABC in 1970, but that was it. Gate receipts and packed stadiums were nice, but TV revenues were where the NFL decided it was at.

However, the CFL relied on gate receipts to survive, and it played on various days (I remember attending an Argo game in Toronto on a Tuesday night, for example). Oh sure, there was TV coverage, but it wasn't as important as putting butts in Canadian stadiums' seats, so there were blackout rules. Which is why a couple of generations of Canadian kids never got to see their home team play on TV, except for away games--which may have happened on a school night and in a different time zone. Just try watching your Argos play the Lions in Vancouver on a school night when kickoff is three hours past your bedtime. Meanwhile, thanks to proximity to the border and cable, those Canadian kids could watch the NFL every Sunday afternoon, guaranteed. It was easier to watch the NFL in other words: all games but one, on one day a week, and all over TV. So, the NFL picked up a bunch of young Canadian fans, who just wanted to watch football on TV, but who couldn't watch CFL; and thus, lost interest in the CFL.

Like I said, the games themselves are different, because of the rules. I took my American ex-wife (a big fan of the NFL's Denver Broncos) to a Stampeders home game maybe 15 or so years ago, and she fell in love with the CFL. She found it very exciting, and called it a much more "open" game, with only three downs to make ten, no "fair catch" rule, offensive backfield in motion, and as a result, a lot more passing plays than in the NFL. As she pointed out, it was almost a more skilful game, than when you had a down to waste on an experimental play. An anecdote is never data, but she was one American who didn't see the NFL as better because it was American--to her, both the Canadian and American forms of gridiron football were equally as good.

Some thoughts, anyway.
Excellent post with excellent points.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:37 PM

589 posts, read 492,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Expos and Grizzlies used to be in Montreal and Vancouver.
Difference being that from 1969 to 2004, the Expos had a lot of support in Montreal. The Vancouver Grizzlies didn't because the metro area wasn't that enthusiastic about supporting the team. Plus, the Expos was the first ever Canadian pro baseball team, which is historic. However, it's unfortunate that as the Toronto Blue Jays won the '92 & '93 World Series, it looked like the Expos were gong to make it three in a row for Canada, but that wasn't going to happen once the '94 baseball strike not only stopped the regular season, but killed any chance of the Expos from winning what would've been their first WS championship and had that happened, the Expos would've never moved to Wasthington DC and become the Nationals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Every owner in the MLS including the Canadian teams is a tech giant, I-Banker, or titan of industry. I wrote this in another thread but there is no reason MLS cannot buy better quality players. At least they should steal everyone from Mex, Braz, Arg, and Uru that did not get swept up by Europe.

Its not necessarily about being better level of athlete than another. Look at college basketball and football. Both are inferior to the pros but the games are exciting just as much. It is about matchups, and parity.

This is even true for ammy adult leagues. These beer leaguers are just as entertaining. One of the most entertaining hockey games I have ever watched is by two college club teams, SUNY Maritime vs NJIT.

The main issue people have with lower levels is the difficulty in finding equal parity games. At the top league, you are pretty much guaranteed parity for the most part.
I'm thinking that at least in North America, soccer isn't that big (except in Mexico and Latin America) compared to football, basketball, baseball, and hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The CFL used to be a lot more popular, and as a result felt a lot more "big time" and was much more fun to follow.

Then (many) Canadians decided it wasn't "big time" enough for them and came to view anything that wasn't American or involved the Americans in some way, as unworthy of their interest.

The CFL is actually a much higher calibre gridiron football league than where the MLS ranks in the global soccer structure.

Yet so many Canadians think the CFL sucks but that the MLS is great simply because the MLS is a US-based league.

It's American, so it's gotta be the best, right?
It's actually a damn shame that Canadians won't actually support their own league in comparison to how Americans support the NFL. I've also felt that, at the very least, the CFL should expand to Quebec City, as well as maybe London and Halifax (Maritime Provinces), but either the league is poorly run, the CFL doesn't have a decent TV contact, or Canadians don't care about their own pro football league, which is a sorry excuse, considering that two Hall of Fame head coaches (both American and Canadian) that came from the CFL initially are Bud Grant (Winnipeg & Minnesota) & Marv Levy (Montreal & Buffalo) as well as HOF (American & Canadian) quarterback Warren Moon.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 4,939,339 times
This American is beginning to get tuned in more on the CFL. Honestly, I am eager to see the faster pace as a result of only 3 downs in a bigger field and defensive players trying frantically to get the ball out of the endzone lest they give up one point. I wish there were better options for viewing games on TV. Right now in the US, I believe only ESPN shows CFL games and you really got to time them. Only the Grey Cup gets any publicity and that is the end of the season practically. ESPN doesn't even show reruns of past games like they do with NFL games. We don't get access to CTV, CBC, or any other Canadian network unless perhaps we pay for premium cable. It's really too bad there isn't more marketing and attention grabbing for the CFL. More viewership means more revenue and thence higher salaries for players and the game overall improves. It's just so hard though when practically every other gridiron football league in the world follows American football rules that many viewers will be puzzled by the different play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada