U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:12 AM

22,925 posts, read 14,223,759 times

Advertisements

Samples of Canadian reportage:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/alleged...ping-1.6132646

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6HSVtutuZ4

https://globalnews.ca/video/9236855/...ived-in-canada

As one would expect; this garners about the same press attention in Canada as would any foreign national, even an American, being in Canada illegally perpetrating an attack upon a Canadian politician's spouse would receive in American news.

All of the usual internet sources like WaPo, NatPo, Globe&Mail, FinTimes, etc., etc.. that Canadians in large numbers default to over our domestic press, have reported this from day one.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-03-2022 at 10:22 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 10:50 AM

5,231 posts, read 2,116,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Didn't you try looking online? Of course there is mention of it - it's in Canadian news reports online and on TV news, and DePape had a blog and was busy on social media. For just one example, this news report is from Victoria, BC ....

https://www.vicnews.com/news/suspect...-powell-river/

..... you only need to do an online search using his name and the word Canada and you will get several Canadian news reports about him popping up for you. The guy is a raving QAnon copy-cat conspiranoid, a dyed in the wool homicide-bound nut case who needs to be locked up in a prison in America and kept there. Don't send him back to Canada.

He's Canadian born, take him back ,please the US has enough wackos.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:18 AM

17,527 posts, read 13,271,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Thanks for posts.

I was just interested in the Canadian media coverage.

When a US citizen commits a crime overseas it does get mentioned in the US press. There is a embargo on crimes committed by illegals in the US by the mainstream media here. So I was surprised to see it reported as a Canadian illegal.

This was a interesting case since, the illegal was Canadian.

So I was interested in both US reporting of it, compared to Canadian reporting of the crime.
That sounds very like the imagined "war on Christmas " by a certain group on the right.

It's obviously not true, since this story about this Canadian being in the US is being widely reported.

I'm starting to guess that your internet research capabilities are lacking, since in just a few seconds I found two stories in MSM, about another illegal committing a crime, OR you are assuming that people of a certain background who commit crimes must be illegals??? I certainly hope not. However these stories are not as common as you probably have been led to believe.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...8-1f0fdf5ffa73

https://www.kcra.com/article/time-se...inle/40212594#

There is no widespread MSM conspiracy. That's the stuff of tin foil hats.

I do understand that WHEN a crime is committed by someone who shouldn't be in the country, it does pack a bit more of a punch. It's aggravating, I get that.

However this current, mostly since Trump, wanting to blame a certain group for increased crime etc, is dangerous, especially since the evidence points towards illegals being MORE law abiding once in the country. Yes, I get the irony.

https://news.wisc.edu/undocumented-i...than-citizens/

Now if you think I'm for illegal immigration, you would be wrong. I'm a firm believer in people going through the process.

You believing that there is some conspiracy sounds like something out of FOX news.

Scary stuff.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Density wise, speaking to wackos, we're on par.

Please put him on trial, find him guilty, sentence him and incarcerate him for as long as you like, then deport him and we'll have the pleasure of providing him welfare subsidies, medical care and housing for the rest of his worthless life.

I think ultimately, both countries will have paid proportionately for our dual complacency.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 13,997,148 times
This guy entered the U.S via a Mexican/American entry point San Ysidro in March of 2008 and has been there since. Interesting.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:21 PM

3,575 posts, read 4,948,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Nah, better yet we leave him alone on one of our deserted isles somewhere in the Pacific.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:37 PM

322 posts, read 129,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Density wise, speaking to wackos, we're on par.

Please put him on trial, find him guilty, sentence him and incarcerate him for as long as you like, then deport him and we'll have the pleasure of providing him welfare subsidies, medical care and housing for the rest of his worthless life.

I think ultimately, both countries will have paid proportionately for our dual complacency.
Just hope that they treat him well while there. If not our Prime Minister might have to pay him a bunch of millions. Precedent has been set, ya know......

Old 11-03-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Just hope that they treat him well while there. If not our Prime Minister might have to pay him a bunch of millions. Precedent has been set, ya know......
Dang! Forgot about that, there's always another wrinkle isn't there?

Old 11-04-2022, 11:56 AM

30,874 posts, read 42,448,752 times
The mainstream press and network news are reporting that he is an undocumented alien. Apparently an over-stay.

But it is also true that the media in the USA is very careful to not give any immigration status report on local crime.

My opinion, it would be nice to get the borders under control so that everyone admitted has been properly screened and maybe this guy would have been kept out, based upon mental health issues if nothing else.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 13,997,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The mainstream press and network news are reporting that he is an undocumented alien. Apparently an over-stay.

But it is also true that the media in the USA is very careful to not give any immigration status report on local crime.

My opinion, it would be nice to get the borders under control so that everyone admitted has been properly screened and maybe this guy would have been kept out, based upon mental health issues if nothing else.
He was in the U.S since 2008. We don't know his history of course but it is possible much of his 'conditioning' happened while in the U.S. Hard to screen against Mental health issues when crossing a border if you have no priors.

Put this way, he crossed into the U.S when he was 28 years old (he is now 42) and he wouldn't have been let in very easily if he had a criminal record. It is entirely possible and likely he had a squeaky clean record prior to 2008. As for having mental health issues - well there are people who do terrible things all the time and 'appear' perfectly normal and would pass Customs/Immigration questioning very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada