U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 08:20 PM
509 509 started this thread

5,477 posts, read 5,973,699 times

Advertisements

Is there any mention that the suspect is a Canadian national that has been living in the United States illegally for the past 20 years???

Don't want to get into the weeds or long discussioin....the question is just about Canadian news reports and if they have mentioned this fact in the news.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 08:27 PM

200 posts, read 116,295 times
Yes they have mentioned he is originally from BC. Not sure how this has anything to do with weeds.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:33 PM

81,678 posts, read 75,117,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Is there any mention that the suspect is a Canadian national that has been living in the United States illegally for the past 20 years???

Don't want to get into the weeds or long discussioin....the question is just about Canadian news reports and if they have mentioned this fact in the news.
I did not hear anything about him living in the States illegally, just that he was born and raised in Canada.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:54 AM

13,505 posts, read 12,280,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Didn't you try looking online? Of course there is mention of it - it's in Canadian news reports online and on TV news, and DePape had a blog and was busy on social media. For just one example, this news report is from Victoria, BC ....

https://www.vicnews.com/news/suspect...-powell-river/

..... you only need to do an online search using his name and the word Canada and you will get several Canadian news reports about him popping up for you. The guy is a raving QAnon copy-cat conspiranoid, a dyed in the wool homicide-bound nut case who needs to be locked up in a prison in America and kept there. Don't send him back to Canada.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-02-2022 at 02:14 AM..

Old 11-02-2022, 07:06 AM

1,865 posts, read 1,002,901 times
him being from BC and having left20+ years ago to relocate to California with his then girlfriend is mentioned in every article i have seen/road. Whether he has been there illegally is not a Canadian issue and is not mentioned and frankly his citizenship/place of birth have zero bearing on what he did

Old 11-02-2022, 09:51 AM

17,495 posts, read 13,238,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Yes they have mentioned he is originally from BC. Not sure how this has anything to do with weeds.
About as much as the OP having lived-in Canada in the 1970's.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Didn't you try looking online? Of course there is mention of it - it's in Canadian news reports online and on TV news, and DePape had a blog and was busy on social media. For just one example, this news report is from Victoria, BC ....

https://www.vicnews.com/news/suspect...-powell-river/

..... you only need to do an online search using his name and the word Canada and you will get several Canadian news reports about him popping up for you. The guy is a raving QAnon copy-cat conspiranoid, a dyed in the wool homicide-bound nut case who needs to be locked up in a prison in America and kept there. Don't send him back to Canada.

Of course they can, they are only here to try and stir the pot.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not hear anything about him living in the States illegally, just that he was born and raised in Canada.
I tried to find a definitive answer. Right wing media like Fox says he is, other media says it looks like it on the surface, but are awaiting actual evidence. However I haven't dug too deeply, I'm in Mexico...got things to do!!

Old 11-02-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
him being from BC and having left20+ years ago to relocate to California with his then girlfriend is mentioned in every article i have seen/road. Whether he has been there illegally is not a Canadian issue and is not mentioned and frankly his citizenship/place of birth have zero bearing on what he did
Exactly. His ex partner has stated that he is mentally ill. If he is in the US illegally, then that is on the US, not Canada.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:36 PM
509 509 started this thread

5,477 posts, read 5,973,699 times
Thanks for posts.

I was just interested in the Canadian media coverage.

When a US citizen commits a crime overseas it does get mentioned in the US press. There is a embargo on crimes committed by illegals in the US by the mainstream media here. So I was surprised to see it reported as a Canadian illegal.

This was a interesting case since, the illegal was Canadian.

So I was interested in both US reporting of it, compared to Canadian reporting of the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada