U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 07:52 AM

22,925 posts, read 14,208,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
At whatever cost it takes. He wants to be seen, by Canada and the world, as a statesman, like his father was.

Except he's not his father. His father was an exceptionally-well educated lawyer and economist, learning at places such as McGill University and the London School of Economics. Justin is a drama teacher, skiing instructor, and failed boxer.

Pierre Trudeau recognized that Canada is, at best, a middle power; unable to project the power that the US can, or the USSR (today's Russia, for all intents and purposes) could. Neither did Canada have nukes, like the UK or France or China. Pierre knew this, and trod carefully through all the diplomacy necessary to make Canada's voice heard on the world stage. He largely succeeded at making Canada a voice to be listened to in world affairs.

Justin acts as if Canada is a superpower already, on par with the US, Russia, and China. Except we're not. Neither Trudeau, nor Canada as a whole, can dictate to other countries, what is acceptable and what is not. Oh, he can try to, but when the other country says, "Go pound sand," he's got nothing to follow up with. Nukes? We have none. Trade? Sure, we've got plenty of oil, except Justin hates it, and won't allow it to go to market through multiple provinces (though, constitutionally, he could; see Constitution s. 92 (10)(a)). Diplomacy? We've got plenty of that, as long as Justin doesn't participate, because he doesn't know how to. He's too busy trying to represent Canada as a superpower that it never will be, and other world leaders are laughing at him. See, e.g. Xi Jinping.

Justin is not his father. He lacks the education, the statesmanship, and the diplomatic ability. Being a "champion of human rights" may play well in Forest Hill and Rosedale and Moore Park in Toronto, but those of us in the rest of Canada would like to see a Prime Minister that recognizes his place in Canada, and Canada's place in the rest of the world.
As usual Chevy, concise and accurate. My blood boils every time I hear another announcement that Canada has promised a few million to bolster some nation that couldn't find Canada on a map if they had even the remotest desire to.

A healthcare system in crisis country wide and this guy is committing to throwing money at other countries like he's Mother Teresa with Elon's checkbook.

Replacing him is a foregone conclusion - but WHO do we replace him with???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 12:06 AM

6,594 posts, read 4,395,350 times
This is odd - from an article dated earlier today, Nov. 20:
Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he hasn’t received any information on federal election candidates who allegedly received funds from China in the 2019 federal election. “I do not have any information, nor have I been briefed on any federal candidates receiving any money from China,” he told a Global News reporter on Sunday in Tunisia.

His response stems from a Global News report — which appeared on November 7 — about an alleged Chinese interference effort that Canadian intelligence officials warned Trudeau about, beginning last January.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9293238/j...e-allegations/

Old 11-21-2022, 07:46 AM

13,505 posts, read 12,285,932 times
You know what - it's Global News reporting all that and they need to get their own stories straight. Global has a tendency to shoot blind first and ask questions later after they've stirred up a bunch of crap and trouble based on unreliable hear-say but they won't identify who or where they got their hear-say information from. I don't trust reporters that have no diplomacy themselves and won't back up their reports and questions with verifiable evidence of where they are getting their suspicious information from.

Sounds like Trudeau is cluing in that he needs to take some of Global's reports and questions with a pinch of salt and is giving them the brush off. I have no doubt his own advisors and security detail have told him to keep his mouth shut and not answer media questions about China when he's not at home in Canada and is on other countries' turf.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:52 AM

98,533 posts, read 96,995,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
China leader knows keep friends close and keep enemies closer. But first find out which one Trudeau is to Xi.

Whomever wins Xi will be meeting with in time. They are both leaders and I suspect dictator type of leaders. Xi wants to know as much as possible about all countries and their leaders.

I suspect China wants to be the next world leader but they do nothing to give aid to other countries in need so they will not be like the US. They know eventually the US will run out of funds and no longer be able to give money to other countries.
My favorite Genghis Khan quote!

China does hope to be the next world leader and/or leading economic power. I didn't know it was interfering with elections in North America. Russia has dominated the news in that regard, in the US since 2016, so China's role flew under my radar. Good luck with that particular hot potato.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:32 AM

13,505 posts, read 12,285,932 times
I thought it was Sun Tzu who said that about friends and enemies in his treatise about the art of war.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:42 PM

22,925 posts, read 14,208,843 times
It looks like they're finally getting serious with finding out all they can about these places;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rcmp-1.6660647

Old 11-23-2022, 12:49 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,395,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It looks like they're finally getting serious with finding out all they can about these places;

Unfortunately, authorities can’t do anything to protect an informant’s relatives in China.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:03 PM

17,495 posts, read 13,244,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Wow!

Old 11-23-2022, 04:41 PM

5,261 posts, read 2,700,461 times
Quote:
“At the end of the day, Canada isn’t Europe or the United States and Xi knows he can take a more aggressive stance publicly. Moreover, he can use Canada as an example to other states without much in the way of consequences,
The above is very insightful and right on the money.

I am just one ordinary every-day Canadian and I approve these statements.

Thank God I have constitutional rights for free expression.

If Canada quietly disappeared off the map, no one would really notice. It's not like there would be any reason to miss us, would there?.

We are easy to push around. Just ask Trump how easy it is. Canada's government has knee pads permanently sewn into its pants.

We're like the teenager who moves out and wants to change the world but can't fend for himself and is codependent with his family (USMC, NATO).

Sorry... but Trudeau's platitudes reap nothing in the way of influence and frankly breeds contempt.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:47 PM

13,666 posts, read 13,972,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The above is very insightful and right on the money.

I am just one ordinary every-day Canadian and I approve these statements.

Thank God I have constitutional rights for free expression.

If Canada quietly disappeared off the map, no one would really notice. It's not like there would be any reason to miss us, would there?.

We are easy to push around. Just ask Trump how easy it is. Canada's government has knee pads permanently sewn into its pants.

We're like the teenager who moves out and wants to change the world but can't fend for himself and is codependent with his family (USMC, NATO).

Sorry... but Trudeau's platitudes reap nothing in the way of influence and frankly breeds contempt.
you're going to an extreme here. Canada is noticed and has been for awhile as a middle power. Think about how ridiculous it sounds what you wrote- if Canada was wiped off the map, no one would really notice.

Followed by weak supportive arguments.

I know you are not happy with the situation in Canada or being a Canadian, but at least try to be objective - even a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada