U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Canada Offer UBI to LGBT Residents?
Yes 3 17.65%
No 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2022, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,683 posts, read 13,984,471 times
Reputation: 4543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, wouldn't they be buddies in bad times?
Wow this post brought back some memories of that theatre in Toronto. Long buried but some fun times there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2022, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,683 posts, read 13,984,471 times
Reputation: 4543
I think moving forward the whole concept of a universal basic income and universal housing won't be so far-fetched.

Improved technology and the dramatic increase in artificial intelligence should boost productivity dramatically. Paying citizens, a bare minimum wage wouldn't be a bad idea. Homelessness is becoming an ever increasing problem in our society. If a UBI mitigated that and reduced crime, it would not only be a humane approach but may make financial sense in the long run. We should be looking at more holistic solutions in society for those who need it most.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-01-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2022, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Canada
419 posts, read 397,794 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure about the other letters, but "L" and "G" people tend to have higher than average incomes.
Sure, but aren't they a minority? Some minorities have higher than average incomes, but have still been targeted, harassed, and more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2022, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Canada
419 posts, read 397,794 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No. Canada doesn't need to "catch up" with anything that America is doing. Just because America is going down the tubes from freely throwing around the hand outs left right and center to so many "special" entitlement minded people of all sorts doesn't mean that Canada should follow suit to "catch up" to America.
.
"Special Entitlement People"?

Transgender people and LGBT people in general aren't "special entitlement" people.

I have always been proud to say that Canada has paved the way in gay marriage, transgender protections, and most forms of inclusive governance.

Transgender people and LGBT people in general aren't "special entitlement" people. They are just Canadian people deserving of respect and tolerance.

Transphobia and homophobia aren't Canadian values. Or are they?

I am wondering why California, and other US states doing more for the LGBT community than Canada?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2022, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Canada
419 posts, read 397,794 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think moving forward the whole concept of a universal basic income and universal housing won't be so far-fetched.

Improved technology and the dramatic increase in artificial intelligence should boost productivity dramatically. Paying citizens, a bare minimum wage wouldn't be a bad idea. Homelessness is becoming an ever increasing problem in our society. If a UBI mitigated that and reduced crime, it would not only be a humane approach but may make financial sense in the long run. We should be looking at more holistic solutions in society for those who need it most.
Well said Fusion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2022, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
25,914 posts, read 34,637,058 times
Reputation: 10967
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Sure, but aren't they a minority? Some minorities have higher than average incomes, but have still been targeted, harassed, and more.
Correct, but that doesn't necessarily mean they need infusions of government cash on a personal level. (That everyone else wouldn't be getting.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2022, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
3,254 posts, read 2,728,431 times
Reputation: 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I am wondering why California, and other US states doing more for the LGBT community than Canada?
Perhaps because LGBT people are more normalized in Canada?

In Canada, LGBT people are not discriminated against, nobody will refuse to bake a gay wedding cake, they can have their bars and dance clubs, and nobody cares. Well, mostly; there will always be those who claim it's sinful or somesuch, but they're on the fringe, and nobody listens to them anyway. Nobody really cares; being hetero or LGBT doesn't matter to most Canadians. Being LGBT has been normalized in Canada, so our LGBT people don't need the extra help that US states give to those whom various American factions want to see wiped out or at least go away. Our LGBTers sink or swim, just like any other Canadian, because they are regarded as just other Canadians. Nothing special about them. They're that normal.

If they get any kind of welfare, it's because they need it (i.e. they're homeless, or similar). Not because they're LGBT.

In short, I don't care who the guy three houses down sleeps with. What matters most, to me, is that he helps shovel my snow, has a friendly word when he walks his dog, and is a good neighbour, who invites other neighbours (including me) over for a beer on a hot summer's day. The fact that he is gay never crosses my mind. He is normal, in other words, to my other neighbours and me. He lives in a nice house in a nice neighbourhood; what government help does he need?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2022, 10:53 AM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
13,512 posts, read 12,297,678 times
Reputation: 31190
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
"Special Entitlement People"?

Transgender people and LGBT people in general aren't "special entitlement" people.

I have always been proud to say that Canada has paved the way in gay marriage, transgender protections, and most forms of inclusive governance.

Transgender people and LGBT people in general aren't "special entitlement" people. They are just Canadian people deserving of respect and tolerance.

Transphobia and homophobia aren't Canadian values. Or are they?

I am wondering why California, and other US states doing more for the LGBT community than Canada?
You say you're wondering why California and some other US states are needing to do more for their LGBT community than Canada? You just answered your own questions in your above post - Canada is already light years ahead of America in showing respect and not marginalizing and discriminating against our LGBT community - and Chevy's post below confirmed it further. In Canada our LGBT community is considered just as normal and acceptable as anyone else. It even says so in Canada's Bill of Rights and Freedoms. In Canada they don't need any special help. In the States they do need help. There are some states in America, such as you mentioned above, that are trying to catch up with Canada to lift up instead of drag down their marginalized communities that are being discriminated against by the American factions who hate them.

Read Chevy's post again, he sums it all up in a nutshell for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Perhaps because LGBT people are more normalized in Canada?

In Canada, LGBT people are not discriminated against, nobody will refuse to bake a gay wedding cake, they can have their bars and dance clubs, and nobody cares. Well, mostly; there will always be those who claim it's sinful or somesuch, but they're on the fringe, and nobody listens to them anyway. Nobody really cares; being hetero or LGBT doesn't matter to most Canadians. Being LGBT has been normalized in Canada, so our LGBT people don't need the extra help that US states give to those whom various American factions want to see wiped out or at least go away. Our LGBTers sink or swim, just like any other Canadian, because they are regarded as just other Canadians. Nothing special about them. They're that normal.

If they get any kind of welfare, it's because they need it (i.e. they're homeless, or similar). Not because they're LGBT.

In short, I don't care who the guy three houses down sleeps with. What matters most, to me, is that he helps shovel my snow, has a friendly word when he walks his dog, and is a good neighbour, who invites other neighbours (including me) over for a beer on a hot summer's day. The fact that he is gay never crosses my mind. He is normal, in other words, to my other neighbours and me. He lives in a nice house in a nice neighbourhood; what government help does he need?
.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2022, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,683 posts, read 13,984,471 times
Reputation: 4543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Perhaps because LGBT people are more normalized in Canada?

In Canada, LGBT people are not discriminated against, nobody will refuse to bake a gay wedding cake, they can have their bars and dance clubs, and nobody cares. Well, mostly; there will always be those who claim it's sinful or somesuch, but they're on the fringe, and nobody listens to them anyway. Nobody really cares; being hetero or LGBT doesn't matter to most Canadians. Being LGBT has been normalized in Canada, so our LGBT people don't need the extra help that US states give to those whom various American factions want to see wiped out or at least go away. Our LGBTers sink or swim, just like any other Canadian, because they are regarded as just other Canadians. Nothing special about them. They're that normal.

If they get any kind of welfare, it's because they need it (i.e. they're homeless, or similar). Not because they're LGBT.

In short, I don't care who the guy three houses down sleeps with. What matters most, to me, is that he helps shovel my snow, has a friendly word when he walks his dog, and is a good neighbour, who invites other neighbours (including me) over for a beer on a hot summer's day. The fact that he is gay never crosses my mind. He is normal, in other words, to my other neighbours and me. He lives in a nice house in a nice neighbourhood; what government help does he need?
Whatever discrimination that exists is by and very large sort of under the table if you will. It's not overt and in your face. It wouldn't surprise me however that in some workplaces the so-called pink ceiling has some reality. Sure, no employer is going to openly admit it, but it could factor into things like promotions for example. It would be hard to 'prove' it and the reasons could be simply attributed to other disqualifying factors that wouldn't be necessarily disqualifying to a straight candidate.

We also need to take into account that discrimination is broad based and intrinsic in all of us. We all have unconscious biases that are not based on facts or reality. If someone is short and has a baby face, we may not consider them 'leadership' material. My point is, the more aware we are as a society of our unconscious biases, the better off we would be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2022, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
17,511 posts, read 13,256,187 times
Reputation: 10960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Perhaps because LGBT people are more normalized in Canada?

In Canada, LGBT people are not discriminated against, nobody will refuse to bake a gay wedding cake, they can have their bars and dance clubs, and nobody cares. Well, mostly; there will always be those who claim it's sinful or somesuch, but they're on the fringe, and nobody listens to them anyway. Nobody really cares; being hetero or LGBT doesn't matter to most Canadians. Being LGBT has been normalized in Canada, so our LGBT people don't need the extra help that US states give to those whom various American factions want to see wiped out or at least go away. Our LGBTers sink or swim, just like any other Canadian, because they are regarded as just other Canadians. Nothing special about them. They're that normal.

If they get any kind of welfare, it's because they need it (i.e. they're homeless, or similar). Not because they're LGBT.

In short, I don't care who the guy three houses down sleeps with. What matters most, to me, is that he helps shovel my snow, has a friendly word when he walks his dog, and is a good neighbour, who invites other neighbours (including me) over for a beer on a hot summer's day. The fact that he is gay never crosses my mind. He is normal, in other words, to my other neighbours and me. He lives in a nice house in a nice neighbourhood; what government help does he need?
Agree.

I'll never forget during the gay marriage debate, that Paul Martin, and Chretien agreed on one point and that was this. "He also rejected calls for a separate-but-equal version of marriage - a civil union specifically for gays and lesbians - because the idea is discriminatory, he said.

He was in agreement with Mr. Chrétien on that point.

"The notion of separate-but-equal has no place in Canada," the Prime Minister told his caucus."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle20450697/

I think that has been pretty much the attitude of most Canadians.

There will always be people who don't agree with equal marriage, or have issues with LGBTQ people, but it's not a large group, and they don't seem to be out shouting for change.

The fact that Chretien was quite religious, may surprise some Americans, or maybe not. Mitt Romney, a mormon, supports equal marriage, and his views seem to mirror Chretien, which is you should be able to separate your religious beliefs when governing. I think it was Chretien who said something along the lines when asked what his Bishop thought of gay marriage. His answer was that he was PM of all Canadians, not just catholic Canadians.

Canada IMO, is a shining example in many ways.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-10-2022 at 02:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top