Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 06:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times

Advertisements

Okay, it's my contention that guns are not as "common" here in Canada (vs the USA).

However, maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe gun ownership is higher in the western Provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc) or in rural places?

Please chime in and indicate number of guns owned and Province.

Me: no guns and Ontario.

I have never owned a firearm or even shot one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 06:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
I guess my husband's guns are mine now. 2, in Manitoba.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:57 PM

463 posts, read 286,129 times
Ontario, no guns. I don't hunt or target shoot. I have a few friends that hunt or target shoot. I don't know anyone that feels they need a gun for protection.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
If you live away from the big cities, dont you sort of need to have guns? You are far from cops, and there are wolves, bears, mountain lions, badgers, wolverines etc etc. If you live outside of Yukon, what will you do?

Old 03-28-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If you live away from the big cities, dont you sort of need to have guns? You are far from cops, and there are wolves, bears, mountain lions, badgers, wolverines etc etc. If you live outside of Yukon, what will you do?
The Yukon is a territory. Almost everyone lives outside of the Yukon. The Yukon is where you might expect to run into a wild animal and be far from people and I think you can get special permission to carry a firearm in some areas.

I am rural and almost every farmer is going to have a varmint shooting shotgun somewhere on the farm. Then there are hunters who may or may not be farmers although I actually don't know of any farmers who hunt. But they would have a shotgun for skunks or if you need to put down an animal all of a sudden. No one would have a firearm for protection against human people. And aside from coyotes who really mind their own business around here, or deer every now and then, you might hear of a lost black bear every 5 years.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The Yukon is a territory. Almost everyone lives outside of the Yukon. The Yukon is where you might expect to run into a wild animal and be far from people and I think you can get special permission to carry a firearm in some areas.

I am rural and almost every farmer is going to have a varmint shooting shotgun somewhere on the farm. Then there are hunters who may or may not be farmers although I actually don't know of any farmers who hunt. But they would have a shotgun for skunks or if you need to put down an animal all of a sudden. No one would have a firearm for protection against human people. And aside from coyotes who really mind their own business around here, or deer every now and then, you might hear of a lost black bear every 5 years.
I mean Whitehorse. But even in Quebec, or Ontario. Like Labelle, Rouyn Noranda, or Thunder Bay. If you live outside or near to those towns, you are quite isolated. Then there are places like Happy Valley, and Labrador City.

There are many remote communities in Canada in the Provinces. I follow this Canadien travel Vlogger, Alina Mcleod. She used to live in this Saskatchewan town away from major populations.

Surely there are some dangerous predators south of Yukon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2hpOQijt8

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 03-28-2023 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-28-2023, 08:14 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Stay in your car, stay in your house, if a dangerous animal is reported to be nearby.

Wild animals really don't want to have anything to do with you. Your food and garbage is a different story (think bears), but even so, a dangerous wild animal would typically want to run away if there's no food and it had an escape route.

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen was a "bear jam." This was in Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta, on the road to Cameron Lake. Two-lane road, and very twisty, so there's no passing, and few opportunities to pull over. So a tourist spots a grizzly bear, and stops in the middle of the road. Traffic following cannot pass. That's a bear jam.

What made this one so dumb was that there was indeed a bear near the road--and the idiots at the lead of the jam got out of their car to take photos of it! The poor bear! It obviously wanted to cross the road, trying to find a place between the stopped cars to do that, but there were more people getting out of their cars with cameras. I stayed in my car, and the bear crossed in front of my car, and disappeared into the forest. That bear obviously wanted nothing to do with people, but who knows what it might have done if a lot of people who had exited their cars were effectively preventing it from crossing the road? Stay in your car; stay in your house; no need for a gun if you just leave the animal alone, and let it run away on its own, which it would prefer to do.

As for the OP's question, I was once a competitive rifle shooter, and competed at very high levels. Sadly, I sold my beautiful Anschutz competition rifle, as I needed the money. I still have my .57 calibre 1861 Enfield percussion cap rifle, which has not been fired in at least a hundred years, and is only good as a decoration over the fireplace.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:07 PM

[quote=NJ Brazen_3133;65070330]I mean Whitehorse. But even in Quebec, or Ontario. Like Labelle, Rouyn Noranda, or Thunder Bay. If you live outside or near to those towns, you are quite isolated. Then there are places like Happy Valley, and Labrador City.

There are many remote communities in Canada in the Provinces. I follow this Canadien travel Vlogger, Alina Mcleod. She used to live in this Saskatchewan town away from major populations.

Surely there are some dangerous predators south of Yukon.]

I know people who live just a few miles south of here (less than 10) who are in wolf territory. But wolves are shy animals. My sister thinks she saw one early one morning, just a grey shadow slinking through their bush similar to a German shepherd. They always get deer in their yard but no bears as of yet.

I had a trapper on my land for a while because one coyote was getting too brave. He is a lifelong hunter and he swore he saw wolf tracks a couple of times through our bush.

My brother ran both sheep at one time and cattle to this day and he's never experienced predation here in my exact area. In another one of his areas they had guardian dogs because they did have predation. Not severe, but some. You're allowed to shoot only if you catch them in the act. My brother swore he'd drag the body of any predator back to his land before calling the authorities. But that never happened.

I don't know how a pinup girl from Saskatchewan showed up in my reply to your post! ETA: I didn't watch the whole thing but that's how my area used to be. If one car - oops, truck was coming east to west and another north to south, all would stop in confusion over the rush hour. But now it's getting much too crowded here for my liking.

Last edited by netwit; 03-28-2023 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-28-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Stay in your car, stay in your house, if a dangerous animal is reported to be nearby.

Wild animals really don't want to have anything to do with you. Your food and garbage is a different story (think bears), but even so, a dangerous wild animal would typically want to run away if there's no food and it had an escape route.

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen was a "bear jam." This was in Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta, on the road to Cameron Lake. Two-lane road, and very twisty, so there's no passing, and few opportunities to pull over. So a tourist spots a grizzly bear, and stops in the middle of the road. Traffic following cannot pass. That's a bear jam.

What made this one so dumb was that there was indeed a bear near the road--and the idiots at the lead of the jam got out of their car to take photos of it! The poor bear! It obviously wanted to cross the road, trying to find a place between the stopped cars to do that, but there were more people getting out of their cars with cameras. I stayed in my car, and the bear crossed in front of my car, and disappeared into the forest. That bear obviously wanted nothing to do with people, but who knows what it might have done if a lot of people who had exited their cars were effectively preventing it from crossing the road? Stay in your car; stay in your house; no need for a gun if you just leave the animal alone, and let it run away on its own, which it would prefer to do.

As for the OP's question, I was once a competitive rifle shooter, and competed at very high levels. Sadly, I sold my beautiful Anschutz competition rifle, as I needed the money. I still have my .57 calibre 1861 Enfield percussion cap rifle, which has not been fired in at least a hundred years, and is only good as a decoration over the fireplace.
Well the bear crossed the road because of the chicken of course!

Old 03-28-2023, 09:32 PM

I once had to explain to a European boyfriend we would not be walking in the Rockies at night the way we were walking in the Alps and that was not due to the moral superiority of Europeans but rather because they had already hunted most of their large predators to extinction. Not that we want to repeat that here but it's easy to stand on a high horse in the debate about hunting when you don't have people depending on that for meat in the freezer and you don't have that much to hunt or to fear anyway. At least they didn't. Wolves are making a comeback in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada