Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 04:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
As I pointed out in another thread, cholera and other deadly infectious diseases (caused by the cutting off of water and electricity to Gaza - no clean water, no sewage treatment) won’t respect Israel’s national border.

This is a good point. I don't think this is a good strategy on the Israeli's part. Go in if they need to but to endanger the lives of so many individuals is heavy handed and has no moral high ground. And you're right - turning up the desperation temperature so high by cutting off the fundamentals of life - how could borders be respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 04:19 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is a good point. I don't think this is a good strategy on the Israeli's part. Go in if they need to but to endanger the lives of so many individuals is heavy handed and has no moral high ground. And you're right - turning up the desperation temperature so high by cutting off the fundamentals of life - how could borders be respected.
I was thinking more of the planned ground invasion. The border could be sealed for civilians but Israeli solders could return home infected.

As far as Gaza is concerned, I read a couple of days ago that parents are writing their children’s names on their legs. I assume that is so that if the children are discovered injured or dead, they can be identified.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was thinking more of the planned ground invasion. The border could be sealed for civilians but Israeli solders could return home infected.

As far as Gaza is concerned, I read a couple of days ago that parents are writing their children’s names on their legs. I assume that is so that if the children are discovered injured or dead, they can be identified.
I see that is true but I imagine as things get really bad there the borders will be breached anyway.

What is happening to innocents on both sides is gut wrenching. There is no simple answer to this but anyone with a beating heart has to feel gutted by what is happening especially to the children.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:13 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
Gut wrenching is right. After October 7th I was filled with rage after hearing what Hamas has done, wanting the IDF to go in and destroy them. I have no connections to Israel or Judaism, so it’s easier for me, but while I was angered a week or two ago about the calls for a cease fire, I don’t see how else this gets resolved. If there’s a cease fire though, what about the hostages? God knows what Hamas would demand to free them all. I’m hoping if it can’t be negotiated Israeli intelligence can figure some kind of special operation out. It really doesn’t look good, though.

Old 10-27-2023, 09:09 AM

Really interesting poll results: What Canadians think about the Israel-Hamas war

Quote:
The federal poll found 41 percent of respondents disagreed with the statement “Canada should support Israel in its armed conflict against Hamas;” 38 percent agreed. Another 15 percent were neutral and 5 percent were not sure.
* Support for Israel goes up with age

* Quebecers against Canada supporting Israel, English Canadians divided (bar graph shows support by province)

* Conservatives split on whether Canada should support Israel

Quote:
60% of all respondents said they believe Canada should take part in global affairs, while 35% sided with a more isolationist approach.
Quote:
While an overwhelming majority of Liberal (82%) and New Democratic (79%) voters believe Canada should play a role on the global stage, 54% of Conservative voters said the country should pay less attention to conflict overseas.
I was really surprised by the statistics in the last quote. 82% vs. 54% is a huge gap.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:35 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
It’s difficult to give a simple agree or disagree answer to such a complex question. Some might read “support Israel” as in give them a free pass no matter how they choose to engage. Others might be populist right types who want complete non-intervention and non-funding when it comes to foreign conflicts. Then there’s the types on the far left who think Israel is a foreign occupier who must be dismantled, but all of these perspectives get categorized simply as “disagree”. I think it’s common sense that Israel has a right to defend itself against a paramilitary force that has declared war on them and their people, but there’s nuance to the answer of how Canada should help them and what conditions it would entail. Not that we’d be much help anyways to a country with vast military superiority to us already.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:05 PM

Pretty heated discussion between Piers Morgan and Cenk Uygur on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFKkmsDpuw&t=148s

Old 10-30-2023, 09:42 AM

Canadian special forces members on the ground in Israel, DND confirms
Quote:
Canadian special forces members are in Israel helping Canada's embassy there with "contingency planning"
Quote:
In a statement earlier in the week, Defence Minister Bill Blair said 300 CAF members are now in the region, with a task force headquartered in Cyprus.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:12 PM

*sigh* I’m not surprised. I sort of thought that Israel might try. Make Palestinians refugees, forcing them from Gaza (and maybe West Bank) and then dump the resulting problem on Canada and other countries.

Israeli ministry 'concept paper' proposes transferring Gaza civilians to Egypt's Sinai, with Canada as a possible final destination

Quote:
An Israeli government ministry has drafted a wartime proposal to transfer the Gaza Strip's(opens in a new tab) 2.3 million people to Egypt's Sinai peninsula, drawing condemnation from the Palestinians and worsening tensions with Cairo.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office played down the report compiled by the Intelligence Ministry as a hypothetical exercise -- a "concept paper." But its conclusions deepened long-standing Egyptian fears that Israel wants to make Gaza into Egypt's problem
Quote:
Egypt would not necessarily be the Palestinian refugees' last stop. The document speaks about Egypt, Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates supporting the plan either financially, or by taking in uprooted residents of Gaza as refugees and in the long term as citizens. Canada's "lenient" immigration practices also make it a potential resettlement target, the document adds.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:55 PM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Canadas lenient policy. LOL I hope they send them all to Ottawa and Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada