Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 11:32 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times

Advertisements

What's going on in Gaza today? IDF daily update:

Hamas headquarters next to a school in the heart of Gaza civilian population was dismantled, Hamas terrorists wearing civilian clothing, safe evacuation windows and routes from North Gaza to the humanitarian zone in the South, humanitarian aide with water, food, medical supplies deliveries to the Humanitarian zone. No ceasefire discussion until 239 hostages are released.

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1722840397011923294
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 11:57 AM

In case anyone needs a reminder of why Israel declared war on Hamas, watch this.

WARNING: graphic, violent brutality

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/s...68767235838164

Old 11-10-2023, 12:23 PM

Looking for something fun to do in Toronto? Why not figure out which shops are owned by Jewish people and vandalize them! Wait. Where have I heard that before ... I remember, that was Germany pre-WW2.

"Toronto police are investigating after an Indigo store and the company’s Jewish CEO were targeted with what one group is calling “a vile antisemitic attack.”

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/vile-anti...tore-1.6639728

Last edited by Lieneke; 11-10-2023 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-10-2023, 01:04 PM

The British government has determined that Canada is under threat from terrorists ... thanks to pro-Palestinian activists who threaten Canadian civilians.

"The U.K. and Canadian governments are currently showing very different levels of terror threat assessments for Canada.

On the British government’s travel advisory page for Canada, an update from Nov. 3 reads: “There is a high threat of terrorist attack globally affecting U.K. interests and British nationals, including from groups and individuals who view the U.K. and British nationals as targets. You should remain vigilant at all times.”

This is followed by a boldface warning: “Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Canada.”

The website includes a link to the government of Canada’s web page for national terrorism threat levels. But that page indicates that the current level is medium, defined as “a violent act of terrorism could occur.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/uk-tra...-attack-canada

Old 11-10-2023, 02:36 PM

Hamas is still bombing their own hospitals, but this time IDF is ready with evidence that Hamas is behind the bombings. Hamas likes it better when the media blames IDF for attacks on hospitals.

https://twitter.com/YaariCohen/statu...63945785704926

Old 11-17-2023, 08:13 AM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Why most countries in the world do not support Israel in this war:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...el-west-crisis

Old 11-17-2023, 09:44 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Why most countries in the world do not support Israel in this war:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...el-west-crisis
Unfortunately being on the left is increasingly synonymous with anti-West. Ireland and France are probably the worst culprits for “having their cake and eating it too” so too speak. Everything is through a lens of the “oppressed” and the “oppressor”. Just like people who defend the Chinese Communist Party because “America is bad”. There’s absolutely no justification, context or nuance to the fact that what Hamas did is absolutely abhorrent and Israel has absolutely the right to defend itself. I see people posting anti-Israel crap like “from the river to the sea” on social media. If people don’t believe in a two state solution, their opinion is as good as toilet paper as far as I’m concerned. I applaud Trudeau and others for calling for restraint while also affirming their support for Israel and their efforts to take out Hamas

Old 11-17-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Unfortunately being on the left is increasingly synonymous with anti-West. Ireland and France are probably the worst culprits for “having their cake and eating it too” so too speak. Everything is through a lens of the “oppressed” and the “oppressor”. Just like people who defend the Chinese Communist Party because “America is bad”. There’s absolutely no justification, context or nuance to the fact that what Hamas did is absolutely abhorrent and Israel has absolutely the right to defend itself. I see people posting anti-Israel crap like “from the river to the sea” on social media. If people don’t believe in a two state solution, their opinion is as good as toilet paper as far as I’m concerned. I applaud Trudeau and others for calling for restraint while also affirming their support for Israel and their efforts to take out Hamas
Your comment has nothing to do with what was in the article.

The article was about the G7 and Israeli past actions in the rest of the world.

Examples:
Quote:
For many in the global south, the existence of the G7 represents a long history of racial and imperial arrogance. “Such a small section of the human population should not be allowed to speak for all of us,”
Quote:
Across the global south, opposition to Israel is also tied to its history of collaboration with repressive states in Latin America, Asia and Africa. In Latin America, Israel supplied arms to Guatemala’s government during its genocide of the Mayans in the late 1970s, was a major arms supplier to Pinochet’s dictatorship in Chile, armed the Somoza dictatorship in Nicaragua, supported military repression in El Salvador and Argentina, and armed the Mexican state in its war against the Indigenous Zapatista rebellion.

In Africa, Israel backed white-minority regimes as they faced growing international isolation. During the 1970s, Israel developed close relations with apartheid South Africa and remained one of the country’s strongest supporters throughout the 1980s. Israel also continued to trade with the racist regime in Rhodesia after the UN imposed sanctions on the country in 1967 and sold arms to the Mobutu dictatorship in Zaire.
Quote:
Israel has developed a reputation across much of the global south as a staunch ally of repressive governments seeking to destroy popular struggles and movements. A history of racist statements by Israeli officials has been viewed in this context. In 2006, for example, the Israeli ambassador said that “Israel and Australia are like sisters in Asia” because “Asia is basically the yellow race” while “Australia and Israel are … basically the white race”.
Without that history, perhaps there would be more support for Israel.

Last edited by cdnirene; 11-17-2023 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-17-2023, 11:19 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
I had read those parts of the article earlier, but not the whole think admittedly. Thanks for posting it here though so it’s easier. My comment is kind of out of context I guess, but I just see this all as symptomatic of a greater trend where people see the world in very black and white terms like “West = oppressor = bad”.

Rhodesia and apartheid South Africa were bad colonial regimes for sure, but the question is was Israel really the only country trading with them at the time? I doubt it. I’m not well versed on this particular bit of history, but I’d guess many Latin American countries probably traded with them as well. Maybe I’m wrong. I personally don’t think Israel is accurately described as a Western country, but they get lumped in with us because of their foreign policy.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:50 PM

Countries as well as individuals are judged based on their words and actions. Israeli’s words and past actions are within living memory.

United Nations General Assembly Resolution ES-10/21 dated Oct 23, 2023:

“It called for an "immediate and sustained" humanitarian truce and cessation of hostilities, condemned "all acts of violence aimed at Palestinian and Israeli civilians" and "demands that all parties immediately and fully comply with their obligations under international law".”

121 voted for (including France)
14 voted against (including Israel and U.S.)
44 abstained (including Canada, U.K., Germany, Australia, Japan)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ution_ES-10/21

There’s a table listing which way each country voted but a small color-coded map at the top of the page shows at a glance how the world voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada