Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:53 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,630,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is hilarious! This thread has been good for a few giggles. Though the Americans I know aren't any different than the Canadians the OP described, including himself. Americans say "sorry" a lot, too. Except for the ones who deliberately avoid it. Those people are best avoided themselves.
Look y'all ... I'm Texan and I say Bobbed war/wire. I say "fixin to" (preparing to), and all soft drinks are called "coke". There's a bunch more Texan but it's all normal talk to me. But I can cipher (figger it out) several very different english dialects well enough to get by. I shrimped and fished Cajun S.La for years and can communicate with those fine folks well. Even learned to curse in Cajun French.

My dad's people are true hillbillies in East Tennessee and I can understand their colloquialisms but it's not Southern like Alabama or Mississsippi but more a Scottish mountain language at times. And then . . . my 2 years in Maine . . . I got it pretty quick, not sure they ever got my Texas drawl. I love accents. Even the "standard" Canadian but I'm enthralled by the strong French accent over English . . . simply beautiful in my ears. (I speak no French although my beautiful ex-Maritime wife is fluent but the French accent doesn't carry over)

Love my time in Maritime Canada and spend 2-3 weeks twice a year there since the late 1990's. Except the COVID years. Love the people spent lots of times with lots of different folks there and always good experiences.

Thanks for allowing me time on your Canadian Forum. Oh, Timmy's is down here now in Houston with 3 locations, I've had to go to 2 of them (I don't live in Houston or even near it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 12:34 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
And to think I came here to talk to Canadians about their wonderful country and have to read such a hateful diatribe on one's own US countrymen (and women) which screamed for a response.
I'm glad to hear that you think that we have a wonderful country. I'd like to hear your views on it. We have now, and in the past, have had Americans who have made many valuable contributions to the Canada forum. I hope you will be one of those; you sound like you can.

Quote:
My dad's people are true hillbillies in East Tennessee ...
Kitchen parties? Bluegrass? Appalachian mountain music? Did you watch the TV show, Christy?

Talk to me! Canadian Maritime, British/Irish traditional, Bluegrass, Appalachian, Australian ... yeah, some of my favourite forms of music. Let's just say that there's a reason that "Spoons" is part of my username here. I can also make my way around penny whistle, recorder, concert flute (studied it for years), and piano (studied that for years too).

Most people doubt me when I tell them that there are musical instruments in their kitchen drawer. Then I open it, select a pair of spoons, and prove them wrong. It's kind of fun.

Quote:
Love my time in Maritime Canada and spend 2-3 weeks twice a year there since the late 1990's. Except the COVID years. Love the people spent lots of times with lots of different folks there and always good experiences.

Thanks for allowing me time on your Canadian Forum. Oh, Timmy's is down here now in Houston with 3 locations, I've had to go to 2 of them (I don't live in Houston or even near it).
You will be welcome in the Canada Forum anytime, if I have anything to say about it. You liked the Maritimes; I was there in Newfoundland a few months ago, and the welcome and the warmth was just as I remembered from past visits. Hey, I even ended up playing with a band in a pub. Just like I did, some years ago.

Stick around, Bob. We need informed American voices here.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I

You will be welcome in the Canada Forum anytime, if I have anything to say about it. You liked the Maritimes; I was there in Newfoundland a few months ago, and the welcome and the warmth was just as I remembered from past visits. Hey, I even ended up playing with a band in a pub. Just like I did, some years ago.

Minor quibble: Newfoundland is not part of the Maritimes. The Maritimes are New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. These three provinces plus Newfoundland (and Labrador) form "Atlantic Canada".

Cool story, though. I am envious!

Old 02-06-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Not sure I'm informed. Just an observer.

Thanks for the welcome. I've posted over here a few times in my 20 years on C-D (I think). We just returned from New Brunswick (Mrs BobTex is from just east of Fredericton, NB) after a whirlwind 2 week trip up there due to her mom's health. Mom improved so things are happier here. We went prepared for a funeral and continue to see improvements (Face-time is awesome when distance is a hindrance). We're both high level healthcare providers.

So I won't be a regular but if I feel stimulated I'll throw in my 2 cents . . . errrr . . . nickel for you Canadians. I am only here infrequently but reading these pages does give one insight.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that you think that we have a wonderful country. I'd like to hear your views on it. We have now, and in the past, have had Americans who have made many valuable contributions to the Canada forum. I hope you will be one of those; you sound like you can.
The things I really like are simple but edifying to my spirit. Qualifier: my experience is pretty limited to the Maritimes although I've worked with quite a few Canadians from all over Canada.

I do love Canada and my wife and 3 grown children qualify as dual citizens. That is a good thing.

Short list:
--- 1st off I like the cleanness of the countryside/roadways . . . not perfect there but not Texas where littering seems to be some folks passion (character flaws). Add to that although not outstanding like the Canadian west (Rockies/Cascades) I love the boreal forest, rolling countryside, and of course coastal beauty. Being a fisherman I have quite the affinity to water and seashores so when I'm there I enjoy a visual peace. It's easy, for me, to find beauty in the creation.

I might add hat I come from the part of Texas that's heavily forested but pretty flat.

--- 2nd, I like the people I've met out east. Easily made several friends. My wife says I'd talk to a post but I do find it easy to strike up light conversations. They're, for the most part, just regular Joes and Jolenes (had to throw in that Southern US name).

3rd --- Yes, Canadians ARE polite and I like that. What a wonderful character trait to have. Good manners costs one nothing! (And no, I don't think that makes Canadians pushovers or *******. I happen to know a couple of young men in the Canadian Special Forces. They are neither and even in my youth would want to stay on their good side although both are total gentlemen.

--- Donairs . . . Oh my . . . I love Donairs. Not available here obviously. Add to that lobster rolls, also not available here nor are the buns. Poutine is served everywhere in NB and even tried the Poutine Rapee' which I liked ... great experience for me. These are bonus pleasures.

Short list like I said but ALWAYS look forward to our trips there. My in-laws are salt-of-the-earth folks and my FIL has my deepest respect...self made man! (Love my MIL too so don't read anything into that).

Quote:
Kitchen parties? Bluegrass? Appalachian mountain music? Did you watch the TV show, Christy?
Not familiar with "Christy". As far as my East Tennessee visits they are spaced out some with little jamboree time mostly visits with relatives, a few forays into the National Park and off course seeking out local wineries to check the local flavor. My only remaining close relative, my sister, retired to the old family farm from Texas to Tennessee after living here (in Tx) for 60+ years.

Quote:
Talk to me! Canadian Maritime, British/Irish traditional, Bluegrass, Appalachian, Australian ... yeah, some of my favourite forms of music. Let's just say that there's a reason that "Spoons" is part of my username here. I can also make my way around penny whistle, recorder, concert flute (studied it for years), and piano (studied that for years too).

Most people doubt me when I tell them that there are musical instruments in their kitchen drawer. Then I open it, select a pair of spoons, and prove them wrong. It's kind of fun.
Not so much a musical whiz although I have favorite genres. The Acadian music coming out of Atlantic NB is so very similar to what I grew up on living on the western fringe of Cajun (Louisiana border) country with its accordion heavy ballad type music. But my interest are pretty mundane in blues, Southern Rock and older country. I come from an area that spawned artists like ZZ Top, Janis Joplin, The Big Bopper, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Mark Chestnut, and Tracy Byrd. When in my late teens ZZ Top played regularly at a local teen dance joint and we could get in for $1.

One last instrument you might add to your home "utensil" repertoire could be a washboard.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

I want to add, for honesty sake, I am not totally at ease in Canada and am fully aware I am in a land with different ideas and customs. I can be but am not that outspoken American (we're all Americans BTW). I've also encountered a number of Canadians that looked down on the US. I even spoke at length with my BIL, smart and insightful man who lives in Halifax, about this. Was not totally at ease with his thoughts on the subject.

Lastly, in the interest of disclosure, I'm from Texas, the Southern US, and I am somewhat a country redneck, and all that implies. I will not thrust my beliefs on another. I will share them, if prompted, to the best of my ability as a gentleman. I am conservative in thought and practice but also follow the old axiom (helps me understand people) that if one is young and not a liberal then he has no heart and if he is old and not conservative then he has no brain. I remember being young quite well.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:14 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:

..... also follow the old axiom (helps me understand people) that if one is young and not a liberal then he has no heart and if he is old and not conservative then he has no brain. I remember being young quite well.
I've never heard of that axiom before but I sure like the truth of it.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:20 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've never heard of that axiom before but I sure like the truth of it.

Edmund Burke, I think.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:11 PM

I had always heard Churchill was the author of the quote but here's an interesting article in, of all places, The American Journal of Medicine, giving some history:

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...16)30193-0/pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada