Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 08:51 PM

100 posts, read 93,663 times

Advertisements

In the States the attitude trend is NE to SW. Try to fit with your NYC attitude in Lexington, KY. Canada has no regional variation. It is all like a frozen out Dayton, OH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 07:16 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I would think that's about the same for any type of people that we don't have first hand experience with.

Two years ago I moved from NY/NJ to the rural areas south of Raleigh. You would (or wouldn't) be surprised at the "assumptions" of Southerners by Northeners. No, they are not bare foot and pregnant, low educated, ignorant Bumpkins. I've found the sweetest, and very sharp, people every where I go. I would never go back north.

Life is wonderful here in the south with a people who understand the meaning of respect, look out for each other, would stop and lend a hand to a stranger, and welcome you with a smile.

I think Canadians are just like anyone else. What you think others look at you like is mostly an assumption by both them and you until we all get an opportunity to meet each other. Then we get to realize that most people on this earth are really very much more alike than different.
Great post. As most of the regulars on here know, I spent a great deal of time in Canada over the past six years or so. I really didn't have many preconceived ideas of Canadians before I met my late fiance (I'd never even heard of "eh"). The Canadians I had met were through business contacts, engineering and aviation people working in New York City. Oh, and my niece in the Boston area married a guy from Montreal.

Your last paragraph is spot on. Wherever we go, we'll find people who are more like us than not.

I had some reverse Canadian-American presumptions. Twice within a short period, two people asked me if I carried a gun, one of them the dentist who was working on my mouth when he asked the question. Really? No, I've never carried a gun, never even touched or held or fired one except for one time maybe 20 years ago when visiting my sister and BIL and they took my other sister, me, and our daughters out into the woods and showed us how to use a shotgun to shoot at clay pigeons.

But c'mon. I'm American, so your first thought is to ask me if I have a gun? LOL. But again, that was only two people out of all those I met in Canada.

My biggest disappointment with Canada is the mysterious absence of unsweetened iced tea in restaurants. They don't have it. But that won't keep me away.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:48 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
One thing I noticed is Americans I’ve met tend not to swear as much. Maybe it’s just cause I didn’t know them well enough but it seems like crude language is more taboo in the States. Also, wait staff in the US are much friendlier in my experience. Maybe they’re too busy here, but in the States servers seem to actually enjoy the small talk with customers but here a lot of it seems like scripted lines people say with no eye contact while they ring up the credit card machines. Not that expect a conservation from people, just an observation that the culture is a bit different around that.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:26 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
It's an interesting topic, but generally speaking I don't spend much time thinking about what people from other countries think about us. It's really really far from being something that offends me.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:38 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
One thing I noticed is Americans I’ve met tend not to swear as much. Maybe it’s just cause I didn’t know them well enough but it seems like crude language is more taboo in the States. Also, wait staff in the US are much friendlier in my experience. Maybe they’re too busy here, but in the States servers seem to actually enjoy the small talk with customers but here a lot of it seems like scripted lines people say with no eye contact while they ring up the credit card machines. Not that expect a conservation from people, just an observation that the culture is a bit different around that.
We don’t all talk like the dialog in a Martin Scorsese gangster movie.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:46 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
We don’t all talk like the dialog in a Martin Scorsese gangster movie.
We know.

Some of you guys talk like Forrest Gump.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:49 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We know.

Some of you guys talk like Forrest Gump.
Swearin’ is as swearin’ does.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I personally was not misunderstanding, I was trying to explain how what seems like an unnecessary "sorry" can come across to the average American.

Hmm. I think "uh-huh" as a response to "thank you" sounds borderline rude, and I'm American. More appropriate response are "You're welcome," "Sure!", "No problem," and "Of course"--this last being increasingly common among restaurant servers, I have noticed.
Sorry eh

Uh huh is very common. At least it stands out to Canadian ears. There is a lot of discussion about it on the internet, mostly in groups that I don't think I can link here.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I would think that's about the same for any type of people that we don't have first hand experience with.

Two years ago I moved from NY/NJ to the rural areas south of Raleigh. You would (or wouldn't) be surprised at the "assumptions" of Southerners by Northeners. No, they are not bare foot and pregnant, low educated, ignorant Bumpkins. I've found the sweetest, and very sharp, people every where I go. I would never go back north.

Life is wonderful here in the south with a people who understand the meaning of respect, look out for each other, would stop and lend a hand to a stranger, and welcome you with a smile.

I think Canadians are just like anyone else. What you think others look at you like is mostly an assumption by both them and you until we all get an opportunity to meet each other. Then we get to realize that most people on this earth are really very much more alike than different.
Overall yes, but it is the differences that make travel and life interesting.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great post. As most of the regulars on here know, I spent a great deal of time in Canada over the past six years or so. I really didn't have many preconceived ideas of Canadians before I met my late fiance (I'd never even heard of "eh"). The Canadians I had met were through business contacts, engineering and aviation people working in New York City. Oh, and my niece in the Boston area married a guy from Montreal.

Your last paragraph is spot on. Wherever we go, we'll find people who are more like us than not.

I had some reverse Canadian-American presumptions. Twice within a short period, two people asked me if I carried a gun, one of them the dentist who was working on my mouth when he asked the question. Really? No, I've never carried a gun, never even touched or held or fired one except for one time maybe 20 years ago when visiting my sister and BIL and they took my other sister, me, and our daughters out into the woods and showed us how to use a shotgun to shoot at clay pigeons.

But c'mon. I'm American, so your first thought is to ask me if I have a gun? LOL. But again, that was only two people out of all those I met in Canada.

My biggest disappointment with Canada is the mysterious absence of unsweetened iced tea in restaurants. They don't have it. But that won't keep me away.
Some things just don't catch on. I had to adapt to no HP sauce in diners in the US

I suppose you could just order a regular tea and two glasses of ice, one to cool the tea and one to drink from. Pretty sure they would accommodate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada