Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 12:24 PM

8,494 posts, read 4,738,627 times

Advertisements

I always lived closer to the Mexican border, and consequently spent a lot more time thinking about Mexicans than Canadians. Not in a pejorative way at all, it’s just that Canada and Canadians never really intersected my life very much. I’m pretty sure I have some huge blind spots in my conception of Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 01:17 PM

1,137 posts, read 614,378 times
I'm curious in whether or not Canadians can be lumped together as being too "friendly"... as in saying sorry etc.

There is a marked difference between cultures in big cities (ie: Toronto) vs small towns (ie: Bancroft).

There are plenty of "rude" people in the cities... everybody is rushed, blaring horns, zero smiles, almost no one opens the door or gives up a seat... etc.

One thing I watch on public transit is whether or not a young capable person gives up a seat for someone who is obviously physically needs a seat... whether the elderly, pregnant, etc.

On so many occasions the young person makes sure to stare down at their phone and pretend to not notice the new person who came on and obviously needs the seat much more than themselves.

TBF sometimes I see a young person instantly give up their seats. They don't hesitate and do it because they know it's the right thing.

So not sure if politeness or friendliness can be applied across the board for Canadians... it's more regional. I'm betting it's similar in the States.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:24 PM

1,224 posts, read 496,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
it’s just that Canada and Canadians never really intersected my life very much. I’m pretty sure I have some huge blind spots in my conception of Canadians.
That is probably true for most Americans. Unless they live near the border, are really into Hockey or have relatives here, Canada just doesn't come up that much.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:33 PM

579 posts, read 432,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I have moral values such as compassion, empathy and kindness. I'm polite, say "sorry" a lot. It's viewed as a weakness, and I've been accused by Americans as being "naive about life".

And what's up with Americans thinking we all speak French? I also do not ever say "eh", nor do I like maple syrup...and we are not all beer-swilling, pot smoking hockey fans. Our politics are different. Weather - we are known for being a frigid wasteland Canada's healthcare system has it's pros and cons. We have our own culture, customs and traditions.

Just setting the record straight on what (some, not all) Americans get wrong about their northern neighbors.
I have several Canadian friends, and I think only one speaks French.

I've never accused them of anything negative. I think Canadians are great, judging from the ones I've met. The 'sorry' thing is something they make fun of sometimes too (of themselves) so it seems to be all in good fun. Maple syrup seems to be strongly defended by most. Regina = frozen wasteland. But I know it's not all that severe. It is all colder than a large chunk of the US though.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:36 PM

816 posts, read 444,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great post. As most of the regulars on here know, I spent a great deal of time in Canada over the past six years or so. I really didn't have many preconceived ideas of Canadians before I met my late fiance (I'd never even heard of "eh"). The Canadians I had met were through business contacts, engineering and aviation people working in New York City. Oh, and my niece in the Boston area married a guy from Montreal.

Your last paragraph is spot on. Wherever we go, we'll find people who are more like us than not.

I had some reverse Canadian-American presumptions. Twice within a short period, two people asked me if I carried a gun, one of them the dentist who was working on my mouth when he asked the question. Really? No, I've never carried a gun, never even touched or held or fired one except for one time maybe 20 years ago when visiting my sister and BIL and they took my other sister, me, and our daughters out into the woods and showed us how to use a shotgun to shoot at clay pigeons.

But c'mon. I'm American, so your first thought is to ask me if I have a gun? LOL. But again, that was only two people out of all those I met in Canada.

My biggest disappointment with Canada is the mysterious absence of unsweetened iced tea in restaurants. They don't have it. But that won't keep me away.
That's funny. And you could only guess the assumptions I get down here with my Brooklyn accent.

Most are very sweet and ask where I'm from, even though they really know. I tell them, in my deepest Brooklynese... "Yo, yous can't tell I'm from Georgia." It always gets a laugh.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:43 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
One thing I noticed is Americans I’ve met tend not to swear as much. Maybe it’s just cause I didn’t know them well enough but it seems like crude language is more taboo in the States. Also, wait staff in the US are much friendlier in my experience. Maybe they’re too busy here, but in the States servers seem to actually enjoy the small talk with customers but here a lot of it seems like scripted lines people say with no eye contact while they ring up the credit card machines. Not that expect a conservation from people, just an observation that the culture is a bit different around that.
I think that depends on where in the USA you are. In NJ, we curse like longshoremen. In fact, all the infractions I ever got on City-Data were for my language. I'm behaving myself now...

Old 11-28-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We know.

Some of you guys talk like Forrest Gump.
OH I really laughed out loud at that one. Very good. Those are not the New Jersey people.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:45 PM

816 posts, read 444,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that depends on where in the USA you are. In NJ, we curse like longshoremen. In fact, all the infractions I ever got on City-Data were for my language. I'm behaving myself now...
HAHAHA... I am soooo guilty

Old 11-28-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
That's funny. And you could only guess the assumptions I get down here with my Brooklyn accent.

Most are very sweet and ask where I'm from, even though they really know. I tell them, in my deepest Brooklynese... "Yo, yous can't tell I'm from Georgia." It always gets a laugh.
The person who made fun of my Jersey accent the most was my boyfriend. He would exaggerate the "aw" in words like sauce (he said "hock" for "hawk", for example) and he didn't seem to understand that the "L" in "already" is silent!

On the other hand, I learned new words like "eavestroughs" and "serviette" and "tea towel".

Old 11-28-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I'm curious in whether or not Canadians can be lumped together as being too "friendly"... as in saying sorry etc.

There is a marked difference between cultures in big cities (ie: Toronto) vs small towns (ie: Bancroft).

There are plenty of "rude" people in the cities... everybody is rushed, blaring horns, zero smiles, almost no one opens the door or gives up a seat... etc.

One thing I watch on public transit is whether or not a young capable person gives up a seat for someone who is obviously physically needs a seat... whether the elderly, pregnant, etc.

On so many occasions the young person makes sure to stare down at their phone and pretend to not notice the new person who came on and obviously needs the seat much more than themselves.

TBF sometimes I see a young person instantly give up their seats. They don't hesitate and do it because they know it's the right thing.

So not sure if politeness or friendliness can be applied across the board for Canadians... it's more regional. I'm betting it's similar in the States.
I am so homesick for Bancroft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada