Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 01:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times

Advertisements

Oh, !%@*%! https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...rits-americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 02:05 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I'm curious in whether or not Canadians can be lumped together as being too "friendly"... as in saying sorry etc.

So not sure if politeness or friendliness can be applied across the board for Canadians... it's more regional. I'm betting it's similar in the States.
"Polite" and "friendly" are NOT at all the same thing!

The stereotype is that Canadians can come across as "almost too polite," never that they are "too friendly"!

Old 11-28-2023, 02:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 4,733,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
That is probably true for most Americans. Unless they live near the border, are really into Hockey or have relatives here, Canada just doesn't come up that much.
I was into hockey before/when Gary Bettman ruined the NHL. There was a lot more Canada in it, but also a lot of Europeans, and it didn’t really translate into much culture sharing…hockey isn’t a polite sport lol

Old 11-28-2023, 02:18 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
"Polite" and "friendly" are NOT at all the same thing!

The stereotype is that Canadians can come across as "almost too polite," never that they are "too friendly"!
That is true. I am the sort of person who talks to strangers, at the very least with a nod or good morning/afternoon in passing while out walking.

I noticed that some Canadians did not respond or pretended not to see me, which I thought was odd. Others were just as friendly and responsive as if they had grown up in NJ.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:35 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
Big cities and the surrounding towns full of commuters are the worst for friendliness. People generally don’t know their neighbours, a lot of passive aggressive BS with neighbours calling bylaw to complain on eachother . I can’t stand it. People who say hello when passing people on a walk, keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t let these busybodies stuck in the rat race bring you down. I think the problem is people especially in big metro areas are constantly moving from house to house and town to town so don’t care to form real connections. It’s sad.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:51 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Several years ago I was in a thread with a number of Southerners (it may even have been on C-D, I can’t remember). The subject of the phrase “bless your heart” came up. I was completely surprised by the explanations. I had no idea.

For those who don’t know:
Quote:
"Bless your heart" is a phrase common to the Southern United States. The phrase has multiple meanings and is used to express genuine sympathy but sometimes as an insult that conveys condescension, derision, or contempt. It may also be spoken as a precursor to an insult to mitigate its severity. Meanings range from sincerity to exasperation, and are primarily imparted through context and tone. While common in the South, it is primarily used by individuals who wish to "be sweet” and do not wish to "act ugly."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_your_heart

Old 11-28-2023, 02:59 PM

1,132 posts, read 610,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am so homesick for Bancroft.
It's such a quaint little place... we made it a point to visit some of the mom & pop diners for bfast everyday even though we could have easily made our own food.

Oh and there are the same ol dudes hanging out @ the Timmies

Old 11-28-2023, 03:10 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Several years ago I was in a thread with a number of Southerners (it may even have been on C-D, I can’t remember). The subject of the phrase “bless your heart” came up. I was completely surprised by the explanations. I had no idea.

For those who don’t know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_your_heart
Yes, "Bless your heart" can mean a lot of different things but the most common, in my experience, is "You're an idiot."

Old 11-28-2023, 03:14 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Big cities and the surrounding towns full of commuters are the worst for friendliness. People generally don’t know their neighbours, a lot of passive aggressive BS with neighbours calling bylaw to complain on eachother . I can’t stand it. People who say hello when passing people on a walk, keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t let these busybodies stuck in the rat race bring you down. I think the problem is people especially in big metro areas are constantly moving from house to house and town to town so don’t care to form real connections. It’s sad.
When I lived in Toronto and out walking, I found that strangers were the friendliest if I had my dog with me. Perhaps it was a perception that animal lovers were less likely to be bad people. It may have helped that my dog was cute - a friendly Lhasa Poo.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:17 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
When I lived in Toronto and out walking, I found that strangers were the friendliest if I had my dog with me. Perhaps it was a perception that animal lovers were less likely to be bad people. It may have helped that my dog was cute - a friendly Lhasa Poo.
Must be. I take my solid black German shepherd on city walks so she will know how to behave in all situations and people usually give me a wide berth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada