Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2023, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Reputation: 5555

Advertisements

I don't feel misunderstood. Let's face it, our lifestyles and language are much the same. We drive on the same side of the road, and use the same traffic signs, for the most part. We want our kids to go to university, or a college, or at least a good trade school. Out of all the Americans I've met, even here in Canada, most realize that we're pretty much the same.

When I've encountered outliers, they're always individual Americans. I was remarked upon once, by an American here in Alberta, that I spoke English excellently, "with no trace of a French accent." Here in Alberta, of all places! But those were her words. Then, while on a visit to the US, I was in a sports bar watching the game, and then it was halftime or something, and the guy on the barstool next to me said, "You seem so normal. How do you deal with all that socialism in Canada?" Given that we have no socialism in Canada, I didn't answer; but it was a good excuse to go to the bathroom.

But those are individuals. For the most part, in my experience, Americans look upon us as just like them. We own houses, we rent apartments, we have kids whose attempts at art adorn our refrigerators. We have Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years. I think it was Pierre Trudeau who famously said, "The only difference between the First of July and the Fourth of July is 48 hours." Meaning that they're the same thing, basically.

There are those Americans who try to tell us what we are: somehow subjects of the King (wrong), in thrall to the British crown (wrong), and who don't believe that we really are a totally independent country in the community of nations, despite being a founding member of the United Nations in 1945, but they are few. The ones who tell us what we're not will not be received nicely; the ones who have questions and show genuine interest in learning, will always be welcome here.

Hey, Mightyqueen! Looking at you! You will always be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2023, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Reputation: 62189
I always thought the western Canadian NHL players were nicer than the ones from the eastern part of your country (1980s). But, then I read a book called The Day The World Came To Town by Jim DeFede about the people of Gander, Newfoundland and the surrounding towns who took in so many people on September 11, 2001 who were in airplanes when our then President shut down air traffic over the US that day. Thirty-eight jet liners and thousands of people landed in the small town and were treated with such kindness and generosity when they had something that big thrust on them...well, it gives you hope. Even the person who wrote the book (a journalist, not a passenger) told how well he was treated (took him into their homes, fed him, and one tried to take him ice fishing) when he was interviewing people for the book. Your then Prime Minister, Jean Chretien, said that the way people acted in Gander will long be remembered as one of Canada's shining moments and a great example of the Canadian spirit.

I wish everyone could read that book. It was so uplifting to know that there are people like that out there. I'd like to think that there are small rural towns in the US who would do the same as those Canadians but they sure set a high example for goodness/kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,558 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Reputation: 115045
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I always thought the western Canadian NHL players were nicer than the ones from the eastern part of your country (1980s). But, then I read a book called The Day The World Came To Town by Jim DeFede about the people of Gander, Newfoundland and the surrounding towns who took in so many people on September 11, 2001 who were in airplanes when our then President shut down air traffic over the US that day. Thirty-eight jet liners and thousands of people landed in the small town and were treated with such kindness and generosity when they had something that big thrust on them...well, it gives you hope. Even the person who wrote the book (a journalist, not a passenger) told how well he was treated (took him into their homes, fed him, and one tried to take him ice fishing) when he was interviewing people for the book. Your then Prime Minister, Jean Chretien, said that the way people acted in Gander will long be remembered as one of Canada's shining moments and a great example of the Canadian spirit.

I wish everyone could read that book. It was so uplifting to know that there are people like that out there. I'd like to think that there are small rural towns in the US who would do the same as those Canadians but they sure set a high example for goodness/kindness.
If you ever get the chance, see the musical Come From Away, about Gander and the "plane people" It is beautifully done and very moving. I cried during the song, "Prayer", a scene where a passenger begins singing a Christian hymn remembered from his childhood, joined by a Jewish resident and a rabbi passenger chanting prayers in Hebrew, then a Muslim passenger praying in Arabic, and finally two Hindus. You don't need any religion to appreciate it.


https://youtu.be/4BJcwDBRcsk?si=yq338UfTJXWZ88_h

I first heard about it at the one-year anniversary, when the story of a local man who spent those days in Gander was covered by the North Jersey Record. He was returning to Winterfest in Gander where he said he was representing New Jersey in the axe-throwing competition. He was visiting the people who took him in.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-29-2023 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 09:23 AM
 
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you ever get the chance, see the musical Come From Away, about Gander and the "plane people" It is beautifully done and very moving. I cried during the song, "Prayer", a scene where a passenger begins singing a Christian hymn remembered from his childhood, joined by a Jewish resident and a rabbi passenger chanting prayers in Hebrew, then a Muslim passenger praying in Arabic, and finally two Hindus. You don't need any religion to appreciate it.


https://youtu.be/4BJcwDBRcsk?si=yq338UfTJXWZ88_h

I first heard about it at the one-year anniversary, when the story of a local man who spent those days in Gander was covered by the North Jersey Record. He was returning to Winterfest in Gander where he said he was representing New Jersey in the axe-throwing competition. He was visiting the people who took him in.
to my mind Come From Away exemplified everything that is right and good about maritime Canadians, the rest of us (especially Ontarians) should take a lesson from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
5,010 posts, read 591,459 times
Reputation: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
We have our own culture, customs and traditions.
What I should have said : Canada is a multicultural country with a diverse population. Canadians come from a vast range of nations, races, religions and heritage, which is one of the distinctive features of Canadian society.

I did not mean to omit Canadians that come from different ethnic origins.

Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
to my mind Come From Away exemplified everything that is right and good about maritime Canadians, the rest of us (especially Ontarians) should take a lesson from them.
The people of Gander certainly showed incredible kindness and fortitude given that a town of 10,000 had over 6,500 unexpected guests.

Gander has certainly gotten it accolades and is the town that everyone remembers that day and the images of
38 jets at their small airport shows the impact. The musical helped spread the story.

I'm sure you know, but what seems to be slipping away from people memories is that another 200 passenger jets landed in Canada unexpectedly that day and although the impact on places like Vancouver was less because of size, and also Toronto, people still came forward to offer help.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is give the benefit of doubt to Ontarians. Here in Vancouver we got 34 planes and people stepped up to help the stranded 8,500 people. Not just business like grocery strores donating food, but hotels, private residences etc. Yes, of course the impact is much less than a small town, but the reaction was the same.

Here's a scary story from that day, that also seems forgotten.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...9-11-1.6170489
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 12:02 PM
 
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The people of Gander certainly showed incredible kindness and fortitude given that a town of 10,000 had over 6,500 unexpected guests.

Gander has certainly gotten it accolades and is the town that everyone remembers that day and the images of
38 jets at their small airport shows the impact. The musical helped spread the story.

I'm sure you know, but what seems to be slipping away from people memories is that another 200 passenger jets landed in Canada unexpectedly that day and although the impact on places like Vancouver was less because of size, and also Toronto, people still came forward to offer help.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is give the benefit of doubt to Ontarians. Here in Vancouver we got 34 planes and people stepped up to help the stranded 8,500 people. Not just business like grocery strores donating food, but hotels, private residences etc. Yes, of course the impact is much less than a small town, but the reaction was the same.

Here's a scary story from that day, that also seems forgotten.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...9-11-1.6170489
thanks for that I honestly was unaware of the Vancouver and Pearson landings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
thanks for that I honestly was unaware of the Vancouver and Pearson landings.
Glad to help.

Canada really took on a massive risk that day. Willing to take a chance on OUR safety to help the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yellow_Ribbon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,542 posts, read 868,483 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
thanks for that I honestly was unaware of the Vancouver and Pearson landings.
It would have been impossible for Vancouver not be part of Operation Yellow Ribbon since its the Canadian gateway to the Pacific and nearest to Asia. I believe that airport had the most passengers. Dorval airport also received landings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
thanks for that I honestly was unaware of the Vancouver and Pearson landings.
I think this might have happened in every province. International flights also landed in Winnipeg. https://www.waa.ca/en/newsroom/view/...eptember-11th/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top