Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 11:46 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That reminds me of a former part time coworker who was a retired airline worker. She told me of Americans who probably never traveled abroad before. They book an international flight, usually to some tropical destination like Cancun or Punta Cana, show up to the airport without passports, of course get denied boarding, and then cry and plead with words like "But it's our honeymoon!" or "It's our wedding anniversary!" to no avail. It is a wonder why so many Americans don't have passports and don't even bother to get one. Not to mention displaying obvious lack of international geographic knowledge as to think that Cancun and Punta Cana were the same as Key West, Florida. If it is an international destination, one needs a passport or if applicable, a WHTI document period. This rule even applies to some U.S. territories. Puerto Rico may let us mainland Americans in without a passport but not American Samoa.
I did not know that about American Samoa, but I would have checked basic information before traveling there because it's just what I would do.

I have a friend who is horribly geographically challenged. She once made plans with friends to go to Cancun and not until three weeks before the trip, when one of the friends casually mentioned passports in conversation did she learn that she needed one.

I remember her complaining to me because she needed to pay to get an expedited passport, "I can't believe I need a passport to go to MEXICO. It's right THERE, by Florida! It's not as though I am going to GUAM or something."

Which prompted me to inquire as to whether she knew that Guam was a US territory. She did not.

She was terrible. I was present when she was talking to someone about having taken and enjoyed cruises. The guy said, "Did you go to the Caribbean?" No, she said, "just Jamaica and the Cayman Islands."

The worst part is that her mother was from Cuba, but she didn't know that was in the Caribbean, either.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-23-2023 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 06:37 AM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not know that about American Samoa, but I would have checked basic information before traveling there because it's just what I would do.

I have a friend who is horribly geographically challenged. She once made plans with friends to go to Cancun and not until three weeks before the trip, when one of the friends casually mentioned passports in conversation did she learn that she needed one.

I remember her complaining to me because she needed to pay to get an expedited passport, "I can't believe I need a passport to go to MEXICO. It's right THERE, by Florida! It's not as though I am going to GUAM or something."

Which prompted me to inquire as to whether she knew that Guam was a US territory. She did not.

She was terrible. I was present when she was talking to someone about having taken and enjoyed cruises. The guy said, "Did you go to the Caribbean?" No, she said, "just Jamaica and the Cayman Islands."

The worst part is that her mother was from Cuba, but she didn't know that was in the Caribbean, either.
Happened recently to my uncle when he tried to take a cruise with his friend to the Bahamas. They insisted that they did not “need” a passport. These are ex-military men in their late 70s. You’d think they know better. They drove from Florida to New Orleans to catch their cruise. I’m sure you can guess what happened next.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-23-2023 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: My typo

Old 12-23-2023, 02:43 PM

1,132 posts, read 610,985 times
My favourite saying to anyone who is that foolish and doesn't plan ahead ... hey there is this new fangled thing called Google.

BTW, my 10 year passport is about to expire... I heard that an expired passport is still a viable piece of identification?

I know it's not viable for travel, but if some government wanted proper ID, does an expired passport work?

Old 12-23-2023, 03:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
My favourite saying to anyone who is that foolish and doesn't plan ahead ... hey there is this new fangled thing called Google.

BTW, my 10 year passport is about to expire... I heard that an expired passport is still a viable piece of identification?

I know it's not viable for travel, but if some government wanted proper ID, does an expired passport work?

The irony.

I Googled and got this.

https://validient.com/kyc/can-an-exp...0for%20example.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:53 PM

1,132 posts, read 610,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
[/color]

The irony.

I Googled and got this.

https://validient.com/kyc/can-an-exp...0for%20example.
Touche

Actually that link is a tad confusing... an expired passport can identify your country of origin and birthdate only?

How does it do that, yet it doesn't identify you as Mike Smith as stated on the passport?

BTW I read that an expired passport is a valid ID from Jack Reacher... lol, yeah I know.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:22 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times
to my mind a passport if only of use when going someplace other than the country you are a citizen of, in other words I don't think a CBSA officer can stop me from coming into Canada without one, can delay an inconvenience me for sure but not stop me, unless I am suspected of another crime in which local law enforcement stop in BUT there is no way in hell the US would treat me the same, I must have a passport going south which kind of makes it a moot point - you need a passport for international travel

Old 12-24-2023, 06:14 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,323,424 times
Perhaps the OP's friend would agree to meet him at the Peace Arch Park, without him crossing the Canadian Border, then a Passport or a Passport Card or a special DL would not be needed.

Strange USA Canada Border : Exploring Peace Arch Park
ActionKid
May 7, 2023
"Stepping across the ditch to Canada is an illegal border crossing for US citizens. At the center of the park is the Peace Arch Monument. It is situated near the westernmost point of the Canada–United States border in the contiguous United States, between the communities of Blaine, Washington and Surrey, British Columbia."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCLv6oWGtU

Strange USA CANADA border Exploring PEACE ARCH PARK
Beyond The Skylines
Aug 7, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SFIScbFV3M

Legal loophole makes cross border mingling a walk in the park
CBC Vancouver
3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AHxdM1kDY

Old 12-25-2023, 02:47 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Perhaps the OP's friend would agree to meet him at the Peace Arch Park, without him crossing the Canadian Border, then a Passport or a Passport Card or a special DL would not be needed.

Strange USA Canada Border : Exploring Peace Arch Park
ActionKid
May 7, 2023
"Stepping across the ditch to Canada is an illegal border crossing for US citizens. At the center of the park is the Peace Arch Monument. It is situated near the westernmost point of the Canada–United States border in the contiguous United States, between the communities of Blaine, Washington and Surrey, British Columbia."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCLv6oWGtU

Strange USA CANADA border Exploring PEACE ARCH PARK
Beyond The Skylines
Aug 7, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SFIScbFV3M

Legal loophole makes cross border mingling a walk in the park
CBC Vancouver
3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AHxdM1kDY
Nothing even strange about that. The whole border is like that. The International Peace Garden between Manitoba and North Dakota is the same, and Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes National Park. To say nothing about the thousands of people who hike across the border on the Pacific Crest Trail and Continental Divide Trail every year.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:55 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Nothing even strange about that. The whole border is like that. The International Peace Garden between Manitoba and North Dakota is the same, and Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes National Park. To say nothing about the thousands of people who hike across the border on the Pacific Crest Trail and Continental Divide Trail every year.

Except at Peace Arch, you do not need to show a passport to customs so long as you stay within the confines of the park. It is one of two locations that I know of on the US-Canada Border in which you don't need a passport to access, the other being the Haskell Free Library and Opera House straddling Derby Line, VT and Standstead, QC. I've been to both places before so I know. You do need a passport if you cross from Glacier National Park into Waterton Lakes lest the respective authorities detain you, fine you, arrest you, or simply boot you back to where you came from. The sign in your last caption says it all, all visitors must report immediately to customs after walking across the border.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:15 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Except at Peace Arch, you do not need to show a passport to customs so long as you stay within the confines of the park. It is one of two locations that I know of on the US-Canada Border in which you don't need a passport to access, the other being the Haskell Free Library and Opera House straddling Derby Line, VT and Standstead, QC. I've been to both places before so I know. You do need a passport if you cross from Glacier National Park into Waterton Lakes lest the respective authorities detain you, fine you, arrest you, or simply boot you back to where you came from. The sign in your last caption says it all, all visitors must report immediately to customs after walking across the border.
Again there is nothing unique about that. There are many places along the border where you can legally just walk across the border. You do not need a passport to hike between Glacier NP into Waterton Lakes NP. That's why I posted the above picture of the hikers crossing the border. Do you see anyone checking their passports?

No passport is necessary to walk or drive across the border in either direction at the International Peace Garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGmRbcSpUQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada