Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 11:02 AM

6,369 posts, read 2,703,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Legal medically assisted end of life transitions are a good thing IF the choice is left entirely to the patient while still cognizant. Having seen elderly loved ones suffer through dementia, I would choose to end things vice "living" like that.

Governments pressuring "inconvenient" people to do it is another thing.
Is that what we are calling suicide now "end-of-life transitions"?

The problem is exactly that pressure. How much pressure is being put on people using the same argument? Just imagine someone from a "Government Agency" counseling people into not selecting suicide but a "transition". We've seen many instances of people in a position of authority pushing their agenda on the vulnerable.

And if you have one Country that is outside the "normal"(Of course normal being relative) wouldn't it be negligent to not look at the reasons why and think that there might be something amiss?

Old 01-30-2024, 01:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post

The problem is exactly that pressure. How much pressure is being put on people using the same argument? Just imagine someone from a "Government Agency" counseling people into not selecting suicide but a "transition". We've seen many instances of people in a position of authority pushing their agenda on the vulnerable.

And if you have one Country that is outside the "normal"(Of course normal being relative) wouldn't it be negligent to not look at the reasons why and think that there might be something amiss?
In Canada there is no government agency counselling people who want MAID. The only thing the government did, was make it legal. Doctors, or anybody really, is not allowed to offer or suggest MAID. The person must request it, then has. to go through medical hoops etc before they are granted it.

MAiD - End-of-Life Law and Policy in Canada | End-of-Life Law and Policy in Canada.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Here's a CD thread on MAID

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...rogram-20.html

Old 01-30-2024, 02:39 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In Canada there is no government agency counselling people who want MAID. The only thing the government did, was make it legal. Doctors, or anybody really, is not allowed to offer or suggest MAID. The person must request it, then has. to go through medical hoops etc before they are granted it.

MAiD - End-of-Life Law and Policy in Canada | End-of-Life Law and Policy in Canada.
Yup. I was in Canada caregiving for my terminally ill partner, as.you know, and nearish to the end, he had stopped eating for a few days at a time, which I mentioned to the visiting nurse.

She asked him why he wasn't eating, and he said, "I just want to go." She said, "There are better ways than starving yourself", but that was it.

Afterward she asked me if he ever mentioned MAiD. I said, no, but he is well aware that it's a choice because his aunt with terminal cancer had chosen medically assisted death two years earlier. And of course it was on the CBC every day at that time because of the mental illness controversary. This was about a year ago.

The nurse said, "We are not allowed to offer it, but he would likely be eligible." And left it at that, but then we discussed the Expected Death in a Home process (paperwork is signed off by a doctor so that at death, we just had to call a nurse to pronounce him and notify the funeral home, no ambulance or emergency vehicles, etc., at the house.)

Anyway, he never asked for MAiD, and I never mentioned it. He was not in great pain, though, which may have made a difference. Just stopped breathing in his sleep about six weeks later, and we called the nurse because we had that Expected Death paperwork. (He did not starve himself to death. He continued to eat sporadically. Just wasn't hungry. Drank half a Boost and a Pepsi the day he died.)

My experience with Ontario's home care for him for that year and a half was positive.

I also met his cousin whose mother had died via MAiD. No one pushed it on her. As soon as she'd learned her cancer had returned, she said no more treatment and when the pain gets bad, I'll do the paperwork to have the doctor end it, and she did. You choose the time and place and who you want there, the nurse comes the day before to put the port in your arm, and before the doctor administers any drugs, he or she asks one final.time if you want to continue. Then you are intravenously given a sedative to make you sleep, followed by a drug that will stop your heart. It takes about ten minutes.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:53 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,032 times
Go into a nursing home and see what happens to the forgotten and discarded elderly. After seeing, smelling, and hearing that up close I tend to understand why some might ask for a different path.

Treating a now baseball size hole in someone’s thigh oozing yellow stuff all because they were left in a mess alone for days gives you prospective on the realities of growing old alone.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:09 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,358,747 times
From the article quoted in the OP:

Quote:
“Who am I to say, ‘You’re suffering, it’s too bad, you just have to find a way to live like this,’” says Dr. Cheryl Rowe, a Toronto psychiatrist who routinely treats vulnerable patients living with the added challenges of poverty and homelessness.

“It's a failure of medicine. There are so many doctors that believe that they have to keep their patients alive at all costs. And it took a long time for doctors to begin to realize that that wasn't the case.”
Wise words.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:28 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The country’s emergence as a global leader in assisted death under the MAID program.
A data from all 11 countries where the end-of-life treatment exists shows Canada is the fastest-growing adopter in history.
The rapid growth as a human rights triumph that allows Canadians to make their own choice about when they wish to die with the full support of the state and their doctors.

The Netherlands — where assisted death has been legal for more than two decades — still has the highest global physician-assisted death rate at 5.1%
The median number in Canada is currently about 4%.

https://www.thespec.com/news/canada/...b3265492e.html

That would be my wish also.
And they will be crowing about how the national costs for health care is decreasing. Gee, if you kill off all the sick people, it really does make national health care less expensive to fund.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:32 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
From the article quoted in the OP:

Wise words.
Yup. It also costs a lot of money to repair damaged limbs and spines. It's much cheaper to cut the limb off, give them a glass eye, teach them to read braille or give the person a wheel chair, than to spend tens of thousands on operations, treatments, followed by physical therapy.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:39 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,425 times
Surge in medically assisted deaths in Canada outpaces every other country

Siri, cancel my order for Canadian crackers.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 519,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
A term I chose from experiencing my father's transition in home hospice in 2020, and my father in law via hospice in 2023 at his assisted living memory care unit. Hospice worker counselors used this language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.