Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 12:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Talk about only looking at one thing. Guns, violence and drugs all go hand in hand. Yes, nothing to see here folks, everything is great...

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...deaths-in-2023

https://globalnews.ca/news/9847077/h...s-bc-gang-war/

Sweeping things under the rug and desperate denial about these things are symptons of societal decay.
That's a harsh accusation and insult against Canadian general citizenry. Remember you too are a member of the same citizenry so if there is sweeping being done that means you are doing the sweeping too.

Is there something that you think the general citizenry could / should be doing about it to fix the decay? Just say so and say what you think the fixes are instead of insulting us about being in denial about what the violent, gun-toting, drug dealing criminal morons and their brain dead drug sucking idiot followers are doing.

What should Canada be doing to the morons to fix their little red wagons once and for all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 01:17 PM

1,224 posts, read 496,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's a harsh accusation and insult against Canadian general citizenry. Remember you too are a member of the same citizenry so if there is sweeping being done that means you are doing the sweeping too.

Is there something that you think the general citizenry could / should be doing about it to fix the decay? Just say so and say what you think the fixes are instead of insulting us about being in denial about what the violent, gun-toting, drug dealing criminal morons and their brain dead drug sucking idiot followers are doing.

What should Canada be doing to the morons to fix their little red wagons once and for all?

It's not an insult, Canadians are just not used to dealing with rising crime, we are so used to pointing fingers at the US, its hard for some people accept we have a serious problem here. I think some Candians don't have the mind set or the ability to adapt to the situation.

Do you not view the rise in homelessness and drug overdoses as societal decay?

Old 02-04-2024, 02:23 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I don't think I know a single person who thinks crime and civil disorder in general are on the downswing in Canada. No matter what certain statistics say.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:41 PM

Decriminalized drug use in BC was supposed to reduce overdoses.....they just had a record year with overdose deaths. It's clearly not working. Similar approaches haven't worked in similar places in the US either. Infact things have gotten worse.

The sharp rise in drug use across the country is in part what is contributing to the rise in car thefts too.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:59 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
The only way decriminalization works is if you force drug abusers into treatment, the way Portugal does it. You can't just decriminalize it in a free-for-all, knock yourself out way. You have to bombard kids with eduction regarding the EXTREME dangers of recreational drugs and then force addicts into treatment.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The only way decriminalization works is if you force drug abusers into treatment, the way Portugal does it. You can't just decriminalize it in a free-for-all, knock yourself out way. You have to bombard kids with eduction regarding the EXTREME dangers of recreational drugs and then force addicts into treatment.

Sadly in North America a lot of these policies aren't well planned and are often pushed more by ideology and under the guise of compassion and tolerance. No matter how harmful it might be to the wider society. Drug dealers are having a really good time right now though.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
It's not an insult, Canadians are just not used to dealing with rising crime, we are so used to pointing fingers at the US, its hard for some people accept we have a serious problem here. I think some Candians don't have the mind set or the ability to adapt to the situation.
I think this is a very important point, and why I am quite pessimistic about us being able to address this effectively.

It's actually scary how humans are able to adapt and accept almost anything as "normal", especially if the change happens gradually. That's what it is taking place right now with crime and civil disorder in Canada. When we are like Brazil it may be too late to turn things around.

And even if things get bad I also have a hard time seeing Canadians putting a guy like Nayib Bukele (El Salvador) in charge to set things right with a hand of steel.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

And even if things get bad I also have a hard time seeing Canadians putting a guy like Nayib Bukele (El Salvador) in charge to set things right with a hand of steel.
El Salvador is an extreme case. The country was basically being held hostage by criminals. It was really bad something had to be done. The good average citizens needed a break and a breath of fresh air. They can hve that now.

Sadly though I think we are too soft on crime here. That is in part why we are seeing an increase, specially a rise in youth crime. The suggestion we should get tougher on crime on these forums is usually met with accusations of racism, colonialism, police are bad, we need more prevention methods etc etc......While I am all for more pevention and programs I also support our police. Self responsibility is rarely ever brought up, the blame is always placed elsewhere. I had one person tell me getting high was ok and we shouldn't use words like drug abuse , getting high etc etc we should call it "self medicating" because many drug addicts come from marganlized minorities that suffered colonialism, racism, homphobia and patriarchy. We should also stop enforcing drug laws becuase they target marginalized groups. These are the types of people making policy in our provinces. We had one politician here in winnipeg say we shouldn't put security or cops on transit because it might traumatize already traumatized minority groups. We are facing an up hill battle here. There are calls to defund the police here in a city that already has the worst levels of crime in the country.

So I don't think we need a Bukele here but a little more common sense, more practical and a little tougher stance on crime wouldn't hurt. People say getting tough doesn't work but there are clear examples of it working in many places.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
El Salvador is an extreme case. The country was basically being held hostage by criminals. It was really bad something had to be done. The good average citizens needed a break and a breath of fresh air. They can hve that now.

Sadly though I think we are too soft on crime here. That is in part why we are seeing an increase, specially a rise in youth crime. The suggestion we should get tougher on crime on these forums is usually met with accusations of racism, colonialism, police are bad, we need more prevention methods etc etc......While I am all for more pevention and programs I also support our police. Self responsibility is rarely ever brought up, the blame is always placed elsewhere. I had one person tell me getting high was ok and we shouldn't use words like drug abuse , getting high etc etc we should call it "self medicating" because many drug addicts come from marganlized minorities that suffered colonialism, racism, homphobia and patriarchy. We should also stop enforcing drug laws becuase they target marginalized groups. These are the types of people making policy in our provinces. We had one politician here in winnipeg say we shouldn't put security or cops on transit because it might traumatize already traumatized minority groups. We are facing an up hill battle here. There are calls to defund the police here in a city that already has the worst levels of crime in the country.

So I don't think we need a Bukele here but a little more common sense, more practical and a little tougher stance on crime wouldn't hurt. People say getting tough doesn't work but there are clear examples of it working in many places.
I don't think we need a Bukele here either and don't think it will get as bad as El Salvador was but I do see a slow but steady decline and a clear unwillingness to make some tough decisions to set things right.

How bad it will get is anyone's guess.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think we need a Bukele here either and don't think it will get as bad as El Salvador was but I do see a slow but steady decline and a clear unwillingness to make some tough decisions to set things right.
Oh without a doubt. Not just on crime but many other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada