Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 06:14 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Religious symbols and multiculturalism are a losing battle in Quebec, I think this is what hurt Singh’s leadership there. Do you think a change in leadership might turn things around? Quebec is really the swing province of Canada that is the least partisan it feels like. It’s hard to be optimistic about the NDP right now with their tanking presence in Ottawa but I could see someone like Notley having a bigger voice for provincial autonomy from the left which might sway some Bloc and Liberal voters in Quebec. Alberta and Quebec have this in common, I think.
Layton in 2011 in Quebec was one-night-stand that won't likely happen again.

It doesn't matter who the NDP leader is, really.

People who want to vote for a federalist pro-Canada party in Quebec with essentially the same values will just vote for the Trudeau Liberals. At least they have a chance of winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 06:18 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
A better way to put this is Quebec is trully implementing tradtional progressive ideals. Secularism and integration. Multculturalism benefits racists, both local racists and those that come from elsewhere. Integration takes one side to want to join the society that is welcoming them in and the local people to welcome and accept the new comers in and become part of them. That is more conducive for the well being of a nation, get everyone one the same page as much as possible.
You're definitely right to point this out. Quebec has its own brand of progressivism which is the non-woke variety.

Anglo-Canada's brand of progressivism has shifted to cheering on cops and prepubscent girls with hijabs and guys like me taking part in swimming races with 13-year-old girls.

This stuff is present in Quebec as well but not as strongly as it is in English-speaking Canada and here it hasn't yet completely taken over the non-conservative political side.

Old 02-04-2024, 09:53 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
I feel like these culture war issues are strawmans that get thrown on the table to divide people. They’re such fringe issues, it’s just a matter of approach. Do you want to approach these issues with compassion and trying to understand the perspective or do you want to push conformity and tradition above everything else? There’s wisdom and arguments from both sides but I just don’t think the majority of people on either side are really represented by the extremes. I can find an extreme Christian conservative who thinks a woman’s job is to submit to her husband and obey his commands and I can find a far left person who wants to enforce parents giving their kids gender neutral names until the children choose their own identity and stuff like that. Neither is really representative of the majority of people. The NDP has failed in taking precedent of these type of distraction issues vs the real issues facing most Canadians like labour rights, wages, rent gouging, real estate speculation, etc.
the Bloc I agree has a good leader now, but I’m not convinced Quebec’s voting public is any more married to this party than they were in the early 2000s. I think a pivot in direction could sway Quebecers back to the NDP. Maybe Notley’s not the one to do that, but I can imagine as an Albertan she shares a lot of the same grievances with how the federal government over-governs rather than the provinces.
When it comes to hijab, etc at the end of the day we’re a federation and the provinces will ultimately decide on many issues themselves. What does a guy in Sherbrooke care if the premier of Ontario wants to pass legislation to guarantee religious symbols as a right in their province? If the federal NDP can avoid these issues and focus on labour, cost of living, etc I can see another orange wave in Quebec.
I’m not convinced every Bloc voter is a hardline sovereignist. A lot of them just want representation in Ottawa to ensure their province gets left alone. If the NDP can understand Quebec like they did with Layton and Mulcair I can see it happening again

Last edited by pdw; 02-04-2024 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-04-2024, 10:35 PM

1,215 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
I feel like these culture war issues are strawmans that get thrown on the table to divide people. n
You brought them up.

Quote:
What does a guy in Sherbrooke care if the premier of Ontario wants to pass legislation to guarantee religious symbols as a right in their province?n
He wouldn't. it is people in the ROC that usually attack Quebec over these things.

Last edited by Luisito80; 02-04-2024 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada