Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2024, 01:18 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I share this assessment.

It's been an open bar in terms of demands for a couple of years now and seemingly nothing is too outrageous. If you even dare ask a question you get shouted told and accused of wanting to murder trans kids.

I don't condone extremists of course, but sometimes it's true that you reap what you sow.

It's quite ironic and sad that this comes on the heels of the tremendously successful gay rights movement across most of the western world in the early 20th century. Sure there was resistance but overall things progressed quite smoothly and the gay community was brilliant in convincing the average person had absolutely nothing to fear and nothing to lose by supporting their full equality. What sensible person could say no to that?

Whatever the reason, the trans activist community after making some progress is now failing miserably on this front and probably faces a rather ugly backlash at some point in the future. And yes, I know a decent chunk of the gay community leadership is backing the trans activist side, even though that unwavering support is now starting to splinter a bit.
The sad part is the trans issue is completely seperate from the gay issue, LGBTQ activist even say so themselves, yet when its convenient they lump them together. That just shows the dishonesty of these people.

Last edited by Luisito80; 02-15-2024 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 09:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As I said before, it's all a spillover from what is happening in the US. The right in the US has nothing to offer except distraction. What better way than the old scapegoat route. Go after drag queens, and gays, and trans etc. Divert attention from what their failings, to make an issue where none really existed before.

How many here know, or have been affected by trans people? How many here ever gave a thought about them, until his overblown political manipulation started?

So much fake outrage at what?
I personally have two trans identifying people in my extended family.

One is a second cousin who was in a heterosexual relationship with a woman and had 3 children with her, and then came out as trans in 2021 at age 35 and they broke up.

And another second cousin, is 13 years old. When her mother got pregnant with her, her father didn't want her, and he wasn't as involved in her life. When she was still a young child, her parents separated, and her mother developed alcoholism, which caused her mother to lose custody last summer, and for her custody to get transferred to her father, after which point she said she "feels like a boy" (she did not express such feelings before). Hopefully her father considers the fact that her messed up family situation was likely pretty traumatic and disorienting and tries to understand how that might have affected her before pursuing any medical transition.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Notice Natnasci has NOT addressed ANY of the issues around the unknowns of puberty blockers or parental concerns. He is trying to make this 100% a political issue and then has the nerve to say that is only political from one side.

Are we really going to pretend his side of the politcal isle side here has not been influenced by the AMerican woke left? Pretty much ALL their talking points come from the American left. Any reasonable person can see this. For the record I have been a NDP supporter my whole life.
I've been voting for mostly left wing parties (Green, NDP, Liberal) up until 2015 too, before switching to supporting right of center politics beginning in 2016.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Fact. Some Canadian Conservative politicians are influenced by right wing conservative in the US. Look at the Alberta Premier inviting Tucker Carlson. That's just the latest. It goes all the way back to Harper.

"Is Stephen Harper 'Americanising' Canada?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34321263
If your basis for Harper being influenced by the American right is just that they have some policies in common, then I can say the same about Trudeau being influenced by the American left because they also have some policies in common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci;66428802
"Opinion: Are Conservatives becoming Canada's Trump Republicans?"

[url
https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-are-conservatives-becoming-canadas-trump-republicans[/url]

It has been brewing for years. This is from 2022

"How the American anti-LGBTQ hate machine is posing a threat to Canadians"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates...tion-1.6663528

We saw it coming, and now CSIS sees it too.

"Transphobia is gaining ground in the U.S. Gender-diverse people in Canada worry it could happen here"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...hate-1.6503087

...and they were right, it's here.
The fact of the matter is Americans and Canadians have been influencing each other for a while now. Mostly Canadians being influenced by Americans but sometimes it goes the other way (the other guest at Danielle Smith's event was Jordan Peterson, a Canadian with significant reach in the US and beyond). But it's hardly exclusive to the right.

The only live political broadcast I've seen at school in Canada was about American politics, not Canadian politics - it was Barack Obama's inauguration address, which was played in the cafeteria during lunch when I was in grade 12. American shows featuring political content, such as the Colbert Report or Jon Stewart's Daily Show were very popular in Canada.

Among my left leaning peers, drawing a contrast between "Liberal Canada" and "Republican America" has always been an important component of their national identity. That inevitably means the left will be influenced by American politics too, by being oppositional to stances that are similar to those of the US Republicans, and supportive of stances that are similar to those of the US Democrats. In countries that are less influenced by the US, such as in Europe, you're more likely to have parties that are aligned differently (ex pro-labour/big government party that's socially conservative). And some issues might not even be in the conversation - it's not that Ukraine, Japan or India are for or against people who identify as "non-binary", because most people in those countries have probably never even heard of "non-binary". On the other hand, people in the Philippines or Brazil are more likely to have heard of "non-binary", because those are countries where American popular culture has more influence.
Quote:
Propaganda and being manipulated isn't something people want to admit to.

So many are being PLAYED and it is amazing they don't see it.
See to me this is an ironic comment.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:18 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
Political contrarians have been swayed to the right in the post Trump/Brexit era and especially in the post Covid era. The status quo for social issues for the last 100 years has been fighting for progress against a socially conservative society. Nowadays a lot of progress has been made and the issues left to fight for are smaller and smaller groups of people that are disadvantaged in our society. I hear a lot of flack for people being loyal to a political party, but being politically contrarian and just being against whatever the “elites” or establishment believe in by default isn’t any better. That’s the only conceivable reason I could see someone going from Jack Layton/Tom Mulcair support to someone like Pierre Pollievre. Populism only really means communicating your ideology to the common people but shouldn’t people have principles when it comes to policies? Gutting taxes for the wealthy and social programs is the complete polar opposite of what the NDP has ever stood for.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Political contrarians have been swayed to the right in the post Trump/Brexit era and especially in the post Covid era. The status quo for social issues for the last 100 years has been fighting for progress against a socially conservative society. Nowadays a lot of progress has been made and the issues left to fight for are smaller and smaller groups of people that are disadvantaged in our society. I hear a lot of flack for people being loyal to a political party, but being politically contrarian and just being against whatever the “elites” or establishment believe in by default isn’t any better. That’s the only conceivable reason I could see someone going from Jack Layton/Tom Mulcair support to someone like Pierre Pollievre. Populism only really means communicating your ideology to the common people but shouldn’t people have principles when it comes to policies? Gutting taxes for the wealthy and social programs is the complete polar opposite of what the NDP has ever stood for.
The NDP has become an elitist party. They no longer resonate with working class people. Their leader walks around with versace bags and a rolex. His wife owns rental properties in the Vancouver area. They are whats wrong with this country right now. These are the types of things (along with an over emphasis on identity poltics) that have swayed many away from them.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:

"How the American anti-LGBTQ hate machine is posing a threat to Canadians"
Do you even realize that the pushback to gender ideology started in the UK? Women like Maya Forstater, Helen Joyce, Kathleen Stock, JK Rowling, Julie Bindel and Suzanne Moore, the British online community Mumsnet, Richard Dawkins, podcasts like Triggernometry, and the scandals surrounding the Tavistock clinic (all of the above being from the UK/Ireland) are some of the reasons why the UK has progressed further in pushing back against gender ideology.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:55 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
I’d like more than anything for more carpenters, iron workers, farmers to get into politics. Unfortunately that’s not happening. Instead we have people from wealthy millionaire families like Doug Ford masquerading as working class people to pander to their base. Apparently it’s worked because the same trickle down economics can be sold to voters against their own interests if the elite politician grows a moustache and goes bu a pet name like “Doug” Ford.
54 conservative MPs are landlords, almost half the party vs 4 NDP MPs, a much lower percentage. https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...0d37f2057/amp/
They all make the same $200k salary for sitting on parliament hill. They could all buy the Versace suit if they wanted one.
Don’t be deluded by their games. Think about the economic policies you want, that will benefit you. These culture issues are just a distraction.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Do you even realize that the pushback to gender ideology started in the UK? Women like Maya Forstater, Helen Joyce, Kathleen Stock, JK Rowling, Julie Bindel and Suzanne Moore, the British online community Mumsnet, Richard Dawkins, podcasts like Triggernometry, and the scandals surrounding the Tavistock clinic (all of the above being from the UK/Ireland) are some of the reasons why the UK has progressed further in pushing back against gender ideology.
Exactly. It is Europe actually taking the lead on these issues. It is very easy for people to blame Americans.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Why would someone who formerly voted left stop doing so? Maybe because inflation is a regressive tax. Or they feel mass immigration negatively impacts the working class and benefits the elite. Or corruption.

And it wasn't so much that I loved the left wing parties, but mostly that I was opposed to Harper due to the TPP (which Trudeau also backed) and being too cozy with China (Trudeau was at best just as bad).

I agree that a lot of progress has been made over the last 100 years, and that's great. But what you are describing regarding the progressive agenda of the present is, at best, focusing on a tiny proportion of society and therefore irrelevant to the average Canadian, if not looking for problems to solve where there are none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada