Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2024, 03:08 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Reputation: 760

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't understand that comment. What is the Canadian dream? Please define what it is.

The October 2023 population of the City of Vancouver (not Metro Vancouver) was 662,248. The majority of Vancouver city residents are middle class income people, approximately 53%. That percentage is not including those lower percentages that are low income class (9.5%), upper middle class (+/- 34.2% approximately), and very wealthy upper class (3.3%).
ok and What does a middle class family in vancouver do if they want to purchase a home? I am asking because you wrote this...

Quote:
Personally I think the reason why the real estate prices have always been so high here is so that only wealthy people who can afford them will buy them.
Those are your words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2024, 03:27 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Reputation: 760
According to this ctv news clip the price for a 1 bedroom in Vancouver is 2945$ a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Reputation: 34866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
ok and What does a middle class family in vancouver do if they want to purchase a home? I am asking because you wrote this...
Quote:
Personally I think the reason why the real estate prices have always been so high here is so that only wealthy people who can afford them will buy them.
Those are your words.
If they want an actual house that is already built they move to one of Vancouver's more spacious 22 satellite cities to buy an affordable house. Or they move out an hour and a half's drive away from Vancouver to the Fraser Valley.

There isn't any space left in Vancouver to build any more houses. In recent years nearly all the constructions happening in Vancouver now are high rise towers where blocks of old single family houses have been purchased then torn down so builders can build high rise towers to accommodate more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
According to this ctv news clip the price for a 1 bedroom in Vancouver is 2945$ a month.
That sounds about right for the towers in Vancouver.

You still didn't answer my question. Please answer - what is the Canadian dream?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:03 PM
 
3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Canada has no housing crisis, if you want to live in Peace River, AB, or Kapuskasing, ON. If you don't, then you're sunk.

You can get a very nice 3-bedroom house in Peace River from $400,000. If you want a condo, then you go from $40K. Thing is, it's Peace River. Who the hell wants to live there?

And that's the problem with the federal government: it's not telling refugees/immigrants where they must go. They all want to live in Toronto and area, and okay, the federal government allows them to live in Toronto, and then complains because they don't all fit in Toronto. And there's the "oh, no, housing is so expensive" stuff.

The solution is simple. When immigrants come in, "You, you and, you--you're going to Peace River, Alberta. No, I don't care where any so-called relatives are; you're going to Peace River, Alberta. Your relatives are in Bramalea? Gee, that's too damn bad. Oh and you, you, and you--you're going to Kapuskasing, Ontario. Any questions?

Tell them where they are going to go in Canada; don't give them a choice. They're lucky that we Canadians let them into Canada at all; if they b*tch, moan and complain, remind them that this is our country and we make the rules, and deport them if they complain too much. That is our right as Canada and Canadians.
I'm very skeptical that the Canada housing crisis is mostly driven by immigrants which, for the most part, come from poor countries and the vast majority of them cannot afford the deposit for such insane housing prices....maybe they do drive the price indirectly when they rent but I still think that there are other issues that lie somewhere else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:10 PM
 
3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I understand your point, but how would this work?

Some agency would need to monitor that they don't move to certain areas.

Provinces and territories would want a say on who gets who, if any.

You're a lawyer so perhaps you can address the next issue. I see lawsuits because of the Charter, where citizens and Permanent Residents ( which I assume new immigrants are ? ) have mobility rights.

Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right:

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.


https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sj...any%20province.
I have to agree with Nat on this...it won't work even Australia tried in the past assigning more points in the new candidates immigration potential assessment if they were willing to live in remote places. It was a failure. the only chance of success is if the government put the necessary financial and planning resources to build cities in these areas where people may be convinced to stay.

You are not going to be able to force someone to live in the middle of nowhere and it is morally questionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:28 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post




You still didn't answer my question. Please answer - what is the Canadian dream?

.
DO you really have no idea? I will when you answer where you got the 80% figure from and adress the articles that directly contradict your comment about homeslessness that you ignored all together.

Quote:
That sounds about right for the towers in Vancouver
SOunds right for basement apartments in vancouver too, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:30 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm very skeptical that the Canada housing crisis is mostly driven by immigrants which, for the most part, come from poor countries and the vast majority of them cannot afford the deposit for such insane housing prices....maybe they do drive the price indirectly when they rent but I still think that there are other issues that lie somewhere else....
Not all immigrants are poor though. Many Indian and Chinese people (the largest immigrnt groups in Canada) are not poor. Chinese own 1/3 of all real estate in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:32 PM
 
3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's certainly true. The reason for the high real estate prices (and the inordinate number of homeless) is because of Vancouver's highly desirable geographical location and climate. The entire lower mainland - that is to say, the extreme south-west corner of the province including the southern half of Vancouver Island - is the warmest and mildest climate in all of Canada and its natural, stunning beauty and setting is enviable around the world. How could it not be so highly desirable by any standards of any people anywhere?
True, by Canadian standard, the Lower Mainland is the place to be and, you are right, the homelessness crisis has almost no relationship whatsoever with high housing prices.

Quote:
Personally I think the reason why the real estate prices have always been so high here is so that only wealthy people who can afford them will buy them. I think that's been done in order to prevent degradation and ruin and slums, to keep out most of the all manner of "unwashed riff-raff poor" from coming from other places who would otherwise flood into the region if RE prices were a lot cheaper to take a slice of BC's best pie for themselves - or to keep out foreign profiteers and slum lords from taking advantage and profiting from it while living in their own foreign countries.
RE prices are not dictated by a nefarious cabal that want to "keep the riff-raff" out, is simply a supply/demand function. Sure you may enact (or better say, fail to enact) policies to ameliorate the problem. Said that, the Lower Mainland is a huge money laundering paradise in RE so not so sure you actually keep the riff-raff out...quite the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:33 PM
pdw pdw started this thread
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
Reputation: 1820
Average price of a condo in Canada is $541,500. Source: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cond...oogle_vignette

Income required to get approved for a mortgage on a $500k condo: $136 000 Souece: https://pierrecarapetian.com/what-is...500k-mortgage/ sound like normal first time homebuyer starting a family income to you?

That income of $136k puts you in the 95th percentile of earners in Canada. Source: https://www.thekickassentrepreneur.c...ce-for-canada/

Bear in mind that’s just for condos. That would be the bear minimum of affordability. For all homes it’s even more impossible.

If you own a million dollar home you are in the 99th percentile of net worth individuals globally. Congrats, Toronto and Vancouver homeowners you’re part of the global 1%. Source: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/glo...-distribution/



The young generation is beyond screwed without subsidized housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 04:36 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Sabrina Maddeaux: Toronto, Vancouver doomed as they chase away the middle class
If something doesn't change soon, all that will be left is millionaires and the very poor

Could a “doom loop” be coming to a Canadian city near you? Many signs point to yes. While it may sound like a gravity-defying amusement park ride, a doom loop is a much more terrifying reality where rather than eluding gravity, a city plunges into a bottomless sinkhole of decline.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/sab...e-middle-class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top