Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2024, 12:23 PM
 
1,224 posts, read 496,993 times
Reputation: 760

Advertisements

Do you or have you ever been to a chiropractors? I am asking because they seem to be very popular here where I live in Winnipeg. I know quite a few people that have used the services of a chiropractor. My memory could be off about this but I don't recall anyone I knew back east every going to a chiropractor or even mentioning them. I was introduced to chiropractic services here in Winnipeg.


I have used them a few times. My wife went first, she was having some discomfort and pain in the back. A friend of hers suggest she visit a chiropractor. A little white later I went also just before the pademic, I was experiencing some stiffness in my neck and shoulders. My wife said she feels it really helped her. Personally I can't say it helped me whole alot.

Do any of you have experience with chiropractors? If so has it been beneficial for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2024, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Do you or have you ever been to a chiropractors? I am asking because they seem to be very popular here where I live in Winnipeg. I know quite a few people that have used the services of a chiropractor. My memory could be off about this but I don't recall anyone I knew back east every going to a chiropractor or even mentioning them. I was introduced to chiropractic services here in Winnipeg.


I have used them a few times. My wife went first, she was having some discomfort and pain in the back. A friend of hers suggest she visit a chiropractor. A little white later I went also just before the pademic, I was experiencing some stiffness in my neck and shoulders. My wife said she feels it really helped her. Personally I can't say it helped me whole alot.

Do any of you have experience with chiropractors? If so has it been beneficial for you?
Many times. I never found it helped tight muscles permanently but it did help depending on the chiropractor you went to. My back is so tight I learned to make 3 appointments a day or two apart. On the 3rd day things would be loose enough to move or crack. But I never had the time to do this more than 2 or 3 times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 12:51 PM
 
1,224 posts, read 496,993 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Many times. I never found it helped tight muscles permanently but it did help depending on the chiropractor you went to. My back is so tight I learned to make 3 appointments a day or two apart. On the 3rd day things would be loose enough to move or crack. But I never had the time to do this more than 2 or 3 times a year.
Oh wow, that's great it worked out for you, at least for a while. I might have to try it again as I have been experiencing some stiffness in my neck again. Like you said though, it all might depend on the chiropractor. I have to look into it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 01:07 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,571 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Reputation: 37305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Do you or have you ever been to a chiropractors? ..........
Do any of you have experience with chiropractors? If so has it been beneficial for you?
I have tons of experience going back some 40 years. I still go several times a year.
The way we humans run our lives is tough on the ol' skeleton. We sit at our desks, drive our cars, hunch over, slouch down and use the wrong muscles to pick things up.
The vertebrae running down your back do not align themselves, although they do have a way of masking problems. My own chiropractor was in a wheelchair in high school and could not walk. His problem is called spondylolisthesis. Regular adjustments keep him healthy and active at 78 years of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 01:26 PM
 
Location: South Raleigh
506 posts, read 264,614 times
Reputation: 1352
I have occasional back pain, and every now and then serious pain, have been to a chiropractor on maybe a dozen or so occasions spread over 30 to 40 years.

Usually I just twist my back a bit and it goes "out" ... then do stretching exercises, and heal within a few days. But sometimes the pain and discomfort are more than I can handle, or I have trouble walking properly, and go to a chiropractor. One session is all I need to begin healing. The chiropractor always says to come back for regular sessions, but I never do. I also avoid painkillers unless absolutely necessary.

It has now been maybe 10 years since I needed treatment. There are things I do that minimize the anglular-stress that triggers my back problems, like how I sleep, how I lift things, how I support myself when getting up or sitting down or leaning over.

So I would say my experience with them has been good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Reputation: 34871
I will recommend seeing chiropractors. Especially if someone has been advised to have any kind of spinal surgery, I'd tell them to go see a chiropractor first before agreeing to anything drastic like surgery. The chiropractor will tell the patient what other options there are to try first or if the patient should indeed get surgery.

I have seen chiropractors off and on over the course of the past 57 years. I started seeing them in my mid-20's because of a previous teenage misadventure that resulted in 3 dislocated and misaligned vertebrae in the lower lumbar region with consequent slipped and ruptured discs, as well as a fractured vertebra and pinched nerves in my neck. It had all been very painful and disabling for many years, it weakened me and limited my range of motion and stamina and there were days when I couldn't stand upright.

Anyway the first chiropractor I saw was able to re-align the dislocated vertebrae and the ruptured discs and I had to see him once every week for 2 months for minor re-adjustments as needed to ensure that the vertebrae and discs were staying put in their proper place. He actually had to adjust my whole spine for me and it was like a miracle how much better I felt. Then once he was satisfied that it was all behaving I went once every six months for a couple of years for check-ups and any minor adjustments that might be deemed necessary, and then after that I could book an appointment whenever I felt out of sorts with my spine and might need a checkup and adjustment. I actually haven't needed to see a chiropractor in the past 20 years though.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Oh wow, that's great it worked out for you, at least for a while. I might have to try it again as I have been experiencing some stiffness in my neck again. Like you said though, it all might depend on the chiropractor. I have to look into it more.
Another option which I haven't yet tried is booking a massage and following that immediately with a chiropractic adjustment while the muscles are loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 03:05 PM
 
1,224 posts, read 496,993 times
Reputation: 760
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Seems like everyone i talk to has had good experiences with chiropractors. I am considering giving it another shot. I will look into it a bit more and try to select a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 04:22 PM
 
143 posts, read 111,383 times
Reputation: 162
A woman was paralyzed after a routine chiropractor visit left her with 4 torn arteries in neck.

But surely, that's an outlier. You will be fine. Or not. Look up Medical Nemesis by Ivan Illych. It has been the required reading in all medical schools since the 70x. But not outside medical schools, where the opposite to what he writes about is actively encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2024, 09:21 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,571 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Reputation: 37305
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleae1 View Post
A woman was paralyzed after a routine chiropractor visit left her with 4 torn arteries in neck.

But surely, that's an outlier. You will be fine. Or not. Look up Medical Nemesis by Ivan Illych. It has been the required reading in all medical schools since the 70x. But not outside medical schools, where the opposite to what he writes about is actively encouraged.
Shouldn't we also talk about the numbers of people injured or killed during surgery?
The premium for malpractice insurance alone might tell us something. Chiropractors pay somewhere between 500 and 3,000 per year. Yeah. Per Year.
Quote:
The average cost of malpractice insurance for chiropractors is a critical figure that varies based on several influencing factors. Generally, chiropractors can expect to pay between $500 to $3,000 annually for malpractice insurance.
LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top