Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 09:44 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I guess Jean-Francois Ratelle is a fairly common name in Quebec because there appears to be a lot of them.

I did some searching online and found 3 men from Quebec named Jean-Francois Ratelle who have some knowledge or interest in the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Two of them are middle aged University Professors (both still alive and still in Canada) and one is a 30+ something neo-Nazi who went to Ukraine to volunteer his combat services.

The Professor Jean-Francois Ratelle in Quebec that was being discussed in this thread is someone else, he is around age 45+ (going by his most recent live appearance on TV a few days ago) and he has a full head of hair and beard, and he is still in Canada and working at his university. He did a video interview with CTV from his office in Canada on March 3rd, 2024. The video is online. They were discussing the war in Ukraine. He is rather hefty and doesn't look fit for the rigours of combat.

The other Professor Jean-Francois Ratelle looks to be in his mid-50's to mid-60's, is almost entirely bald with a few whisps of hair on his head, he is owlish looking and wears round old-fashioned wire-rimmed glasses, and he teaches at a university in Ottawa. He also does not appear to be anyone who is in any way physically fit for combat.

Neither of the two professors look remotely anything like the picture of the younger neo-Nazi volunteer Commander Jean-Francois Ratelle in Ukraine who was clean shaven of face and around the sides and back of his head, had a stiff, upright mohawk haircut on the very top of his head and was dressed in combat clothing. That photograph was taken just before he recently died in Ukraine.

I wonder how many Jean-Francois Ratelles there really are from Quebec.

Right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 10:01 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
I guess Jean-Francois Ratelle is a fairly common name in Quebec because there appears to be a lot of them.

I did some searching online and found 3 men from Quebec named Jean-Francois Ratelle who have some knowledge or interest in the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Two of them are middle aged University Professors (both still alive and still in Canada) and one is a 30+ something neo-Nazi who went to Ukraine to volunteer his combat services.

The Professor Jean-Francois Ratelle in Quebec that was being discussed in this thread is someone else, he is around age 45+ (going by his most recent live appearance on TV a few days ago) and he has a full head of hair and beard, and he is still in Canada and working at his university. He did a video interview with CTV from his office in Canada on March 3rd, 2024. The video is online. They were discussing the war in Ukraine. He is rather hefty and doesn't look fit for the rigours of combat.

The other Professor Jean-Francois Ratelle looks to be in his mid-50's to mid-60's, is almost entirely bald with a few whisps of hair on his head, he is owlish looking and wears round old-fashioned wire-rimmed glasses, and he teaches at a university in Ottawa. He also does not appear to be anyone who is in any way physically fit for combat.

Neither of the two professors look remotely anything like the picture of the younger neo-Nazi volunteer Commander Jean-Francois Ratelle in Ukraine who was clean shaven of face and around the sides and back of his head, had a stiff, upright mohawk haircut on the very top of his head and was dressed in combat clothing. That photograph was taken just before he recently died in Ukraine.

Apologies accepted

Old 03-21-2024, 10:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
None are offered.

I was trying to make a point about how easily so many people (you and me included along with the rest of the participants in this thread) can all be so wrong about so much when we all start speculating about strangers based on entirely insufficient information given out online.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Right?!
Yes, it's right and it took me quite some time to dig around and weed through the propaganda I came across and put together the possibly credible snippets of information and photographs I found.

To be honest at this stage without more credible information I don't think the "commander" by that name is real or else that's not his real name, and I have my doubts if the guy identified was actually killed or if the story about being killed is just an elaborate ruse of some kind to avoid coming back to Canada.

Some investigative journalist can figure it out some day and put together what the truth is.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:09 AM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...edia-documents
Quote:
Canadian officials who met with Ukrainian unit linked to neo-Nazis feared exposure by news media: documents
A year before the meeting, Canada’s Joint Task Force Ukraine produced a briefing on the Azov Battalion, acknowledging its links to Nazi ideology.

Canadian officials who met with members of a Ukrainian battalion linked to neo-Nazis didn’t denounce the unit, but were instead concerned the media would expose details of the get-together, according to newly released documents.

The Canadians met with and were briefed by leaders from the Azov Battalion in June 2018. The officers and diplomats did not object to the meeting and instead allowed themselves to be photographed with battalion officials despite previous warnings that the unit saw itself as pro-Nazi. The Azov Battalion then used those photos for its online propaganda, pointing out the Canadian delegation expressed “hopes for further fruitful co-operation

Old 03-22-2024, 12:15 AM

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...ys-nazi-hunter

Quote:
Canada failed when it trained Ukrainian troops linked to the far right, says Nazi hunter
The Canadian Forces says it had no obligation to be entirely certain of the backgrounds of those soldiers it trained in Ukraine.
A top Nazi hunter and Holocaust scholar says Canada failed when it allowed Ukrainian military personnel connected to far-right groups to receive training as recently as 17 months ago.

But the Canadian Forces says it had no obligation to be entirely certain of the backgrounds of those soldiers it trained in Ukraine.

Article content
Radio Canada reported Monday that Canadian military personnel trained both members of the far-right Azov regiment as well as at least one Ukrainian soldier who sported the crest of a Nazi SS unit from the Second World War. The training took place in November 2020.

https://www.thesuburban.com/news/rep...028f16fdb.html
Quote:
Report reveals Canadian Forces trained neo-Nazi Ukrainian Battalions
A recently released report from George Washington University revealed Ukrainians extremists bragging about receiving training from the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) through Operation UNIFIER.The extremist group, called the Military Order Centuria, is linked to the Azov movement and Azov Battalions – known for their far-right and neo-Nazi beliefs.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:38 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:

I will admit as soon as I found the link to the Carleton prof, given his area of academic expertise I assumed it was ths same guy

Old 03-22-2024, 07:10 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:

You’re right, I thought they were the same guy but I guess not. Where does it say he is a Nazi? The Globe and Mail did an article about him yesterday and they said the Norman Brigade he was a part of was loosely connected to the Ukrainian Volunteer Army, which yes was founded by a far right Ukrainian politician. That doesn’t point to Ratelle himself being a Nazi sympathizer though. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...ed-in-eastern/ The whole Nazi accusation about Ukraine is kinda blown out of proportion to get Putin supporters riled up. Unfortunately a lot of people interested in vigilantism and forming militias believe in some pretty horrible stuff. That doesn’t mean the Canadians who went to Ukraine to fight were Nazis, though. Unless there’s some more evidence, I don’t feel comfortable accusing this guy of that, although maybe it was premature of me to call him a hero and a patriot without knowing more.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:58 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
.......then you accuse me of being gullible to Russian propaganda??
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne...ian_Federation
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschluss
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prot...ia_and_Moravia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria_conflict
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Danzig
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Poland

I’m sure you can see the parallels too. I can with my high school history knowledge and simply paying attention to current events. The difference is you think the problem will go away and the world will carry along as usual if we just let it happen without a fight

Old 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The whole Nazi accusation about Ukraine is kinda blown out of proportion to get Putin supporters riled up. Unfortunately a lot of people interested in vigilantism and forming militias believe in some pretty horrible stuff. That doesn’t mean the Canadians who went to Ukraine to fight were Nazis, though. Unless there’s some more evidence, I don’t feel comfortable accusing this guy of that, although maybe it was premature of me to call him a hero and a patriot without knowing more.
IS the "Ottawa citizen" a news paper that supports vigilantism and forming militias????

Quote:
Mounting evidence Canada trained Ukrainian extremists, gov't needs to be held to account: experts
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/mountin...erts-1.5879303

Quote:
Canadian Media Is Happy To Risk Arming Neo-Nazis In Ukraine
Editorial support for sending Canadian troops and arms to Ukraine didn’t waver when it became clear neo-Nazis would benefit.
https://www.readthemaple.com/canadia...is-in-ukraine/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada