Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis8 View Post
It's funny how everyone makes a big deal about the tax difference. You're only really noticeably less taxed in the US if you earn over $150,000. If you're earning less than $40,000, in general, you pay less tax in Canada. The tax rates are hard to compare due to all the deductibles, cost of living and tax rate discrepancies depending on which state or province you live in. You probably get more bang for your buck for you tax dollars in Canada but it's easier to land a higher paying job in America.
You need to examine Tax Burden as opposed to a marginal tax rate. When you factor in deductions and exemptions you have a much lower tax burden in the US in all tax brackets, not just in the upper tier. Obviously this difference is more pronounced in the highest bracket.

Most people make the mistake of just focusing on a basic tax rate, when you need to look a little deeper, being an accountant myself that has lived in both countries I understand this better than most.

TaxProf Blog: Bartlett: Tax Tea Parties Misstate U.S. Tax Burden

Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,505 times
Sorry if someone had already mentioned this. But one big Canada con for me is in most cases you pay 2x as much if not more for the same good or service that is available in the USA. That and the CRTC is another downer for Canada

Old 11-08-2009, 10:27 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
The taxes are horrible. But it varies from province to province. BC is getting some crazy harmonizing tax that will effectively add 12% to the price of home purchase. Nuts. And you don't get to deduct the mortgage come tax time. Nor do you get charitable deductions because heck, canucks are already forced into charitable giving via the taxes.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Nor do you get charitable deductions

Yikes!

I guess all those Canada Revenue Agency forms I've been filling out are wrong.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
O, to clarify: if you have clothes etc to donate, may as well sell them in a garaaaage sale cause if you donate them to a shelter, they don't count as deductions. In the US they do. But if you've got other revenue deductions go for it. Oh, find it interesting that you failed to address the fact that your mortgage and so forth are NOT DEDUCTed. And your new home purchase is hugely taxed.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
There is certainly no doubt Canada has a higher tax burden than the US; it would be foolish to argue otherwise.

On the other hand, not all Canadian provinces have opted to institute a Harmonized Sales Tax where the provincial sales tax is piggybacked onto the federal Goods and Services tax. That said, various provincial governments (with the whole-hearted encouragement of the feds) are looking greedily at this potential revenue stream and pumping some serious sunshine with regard to it being better for everyone.

Each country has a different taxation system -- you failed to mention that there no Capital Gains Taxes on the sale of a principle residence, so all appreciated value you gain from the sale of home is tax free.

There are pluses and minuses to each system just as there are pluses and minuses to other aspects of the two nations and yet the overall standards of living in each nation is remarkably high.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,781 times
Pros and Cons... here's my perspective growing and living in Canada for 25 years, and now 10 years as a US resident with US citizenship.

Pro US vs Canada

- Most diverse country in the world (yup you heard it)
- Taxes "usually" are lower than Canada
- more dynamic and diverse cities
- better job opportunities
- Individual pursuit and will of people to get the job done
- more community spirit
- Much more to see and do (particularly in highly populated areas (east coast) which Cdn has very few of and that are further away)
- Better weather (most of the time)
- Bigger emphasis on sports and sporting nation (which is either a pro or con depending on how you look at it)
- Usually quicker pace of life, things get done faster (although not neccesarily better).
- We are not hung up on our identity and have no identity crisis.

Con US vs Canada

- Weaker social safety net
- Where's my health care? (see point one)
- Less emphasis on education with higher education at sometimes outrageous costs (but more schools to choose from)
- People are more reactionary
- Distrust in Government
- Not as many people like hockey (but the big fans you find are serious hard core)

That's a general idea, however it's not the be all end all. All areas of the country have different thoughts both in Canada and the US that have these characteristics.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 14,505 times
I like your last point under Pro US vs Canada
"- We are not hung up on our identity and have no identity crisis."

LOL yeah if you Cdn (like I am sadly) they assume you like hockey as much as they do

I hate hockey and all winter things with a passion

Hoping to someday be able to get my green card for the US so I can be down here on a more permenent basis

Im gonna add another Pro US point: There are some parts of the US you can escape the depressing cold winter weather without breaking your wallet!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM

16 posts, read 23,120 times
Default Who cares

We live longer.

Our live birth rate is higher...hmm wonder if the first two have anything to do with health care.

Are more respected on world stage.

We can travel and not have to pretend not to be Canadian.

We are not gun crazy, our crime stats are much better.

Ranked higher than the US in the overal best places to live according to UNESCO and other world stats.

Gee I think that says it all!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 AM

16 posts, read 23,120 times
Wow it amazes me that all the talk is money....pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada