Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM

105 posts, read 317,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
SMP 2010...how much time have you spent in Canada recently? As a US citizen who is spending half my time in Canada and half in the US, I can report that Canada is progressive, compassionate, clean, safe, friendly and the economy is on fire. Best days in the '70's? You ve got to be kidding!!!

Oh, and the weather is pretty good too. Its a myth that a place like Toronto has lousy weather. Sure, it gets some snow in winter, but overall I think its just fine.
Progressive compared to where? Arkansas. Yes it has cities, and like most cities around the globe, they have people that are more worldly than say lethbridge but it is not a nation known for being cutting edge on much.
Compassionate yes, may be their downfall though.
Safe?
Friendly yes, but with a high cost of living crime is high, see above...
The economy is on fire because oil is hot, and foreign investment was high due to a dollar difference. Watch what happens when that changes...
It is all relevant. I mean if you are from some small backwards place it would seem like all the above. I lived there for many years, I now live in southern california, and do go back at least a couple times a year. I think my take on it may be better than some stewardess flying into toronto from Baltimore and clubbing for a night...

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-16-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Insults removed

Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,044 times
OP- you are describing Halifax to a T. I think you'd love it. Dalhousie is awesome and there are lots of parks. Also, cheaper than Montreal, Vancouver, and a lot of Ontario

Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,067 times
SMP 2010...first of all, I am not "a stewardess flying in from Baltimore to go clubbing for one night." I own a home in Toronto. I am in the US only for work and then I fly home to Toronto. What a stupid assumption you made.

I dont know what your beef with Canada is. You said there is a lot of crime there...what a joke. I can tell you that compared with just about any city in the US of a comparable size, Toronto has next to no violent crime. The crime it does have is primarily drug related and those of us who do not frequent drug areas are safe as can be.

The cultural richness and the ethnic variety is vastly appealing to many of us. The taxes ARE high, indeed, but the return for those taxes is very good. Health care, for example is taken for granted there but believe me, when its not "automatic" as is the case in the US, it is priceless to have.

Its too bad if you are unhappy in Canada. I do hope you will seek out a place that is more suitable for you. Meanwhile..this STEWARDESS likes Canada just fine.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 17,480 times
barrie ont

Old 08-23-2008, 05:40 PM

75 posts, read 273,445 times
Well, there's also Québec City if you speak French, lovely city.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,436 times
Ottawa is the best, great public transit, schools, univerisities. Bike path around the city. Worlds largest outdoor skating on the canal in the winter, downtown market area is great, fresh fruits, vegetables, great restaurants. And yes, don't forget to visit Heart and Crown if you're into pubs. Quite diverse, safe, in general probably the best place to live with a family if you can take the cold!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 AM

257 posts, read 1,444,654 times
WHITBY ontario! great train to toronto
safe as can be
lots of sports offered for children
great schools
VERY family friendly

Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 AM

17 posts, read 77,802 times
I would say victoria or Nanaimo, very progressive liberal areas of Canada, both have the best year round temperature average ....check the stats out on Enviroment Canada's web site, clean green year round, nice beaches, cool wildlife, chock full of artist , great recreational options, no where else in Canada can you go sailing and Skiing in the same day (except Vancouver)...there is University of Victoria as well as Vancouver Island University....Victoria is a 2 hour ferry trip to Vancouver or 1.5 hour ferry ride to downtown Seattle Washington..... Nanaimo is a 1.5 hour Ferry trip to Vancouver or a 1.5 hour drive to Victoria....money magazine rated Victoria as the best city in Canada 2009.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM

53 posts, read 136,070 times
Old post, but I'm curious as to how people are just able to up and move wherever. I'm not trying to be negative, but I guess I'm just stuck to a job. After I retire, sure, but I thought most people move to be near a job.

Maybe deep down I wish I was transient enough to move to my "ideal" location or just somewhere more ideal on a whim. So seriously, how do people do it?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-74 View Post
Old post, but I'm curious as to how people are just able to up and move wherever. I'm not trying to be negative, but I guess I'm just stuck to a job. After I retire, sure, but I thought most people move to be near a job.

Maybe deep down I wish I was transient enough to move to my "ideal" location or just somewhere more ideal on a whim. So seriously, how do people do it?
Some people have created their own work that comes with them (as I have) and others find work where they land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada