Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 PM

13 posts, read 59,446 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I wanna immigrate to Canada. Manitoba & Nova Scotia both have the best immigration plans for international students and I don't know which one to choose. The important things for me are: nightlife, friendly people, weather and job market.
So- Halifax or Winnipeg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
Winnipeg normally has terrible winter weather. It's so terrible we brag about it. Think -30C and below. For potential weeks at a time. Beautiful summers. There is a nightlife, people are friendly, but they are friendly in Halifax as well. However, more than that, I can't tell you about Halifax.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Winnipeg normally has terrible winter weather. It's so terrible we brag about it. Think -30C and below. For potential weeks at a time. Beautiful summers. There is a nightlife, people are friendly, but they are friendly in Halifax as well. However, more than that, I can't tell you about Halifax.
I thought it was cold all over Canada, how is Winnipeg any different lol
Are you from Winnipeg?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm a Weirdo View Post
I thought it was cold all over Canada, how is Winnipeg any different lol
Are you from Winnipeg?
I'm from Manitoba, a little more than an hour from Winnipeg. The nickname for Winnipeg is Winterpeg. There is no comparison between Halifax weather and Winnipeg weather. The average January temp for Halifax is -6C. The average January temp for Winnipeg is -17.8C. Halifax is like the Bahamas to 'peggers.

It isn't unusual for the temperature to fall to -40. I said -30 because I didn't want to actually scare you. That's also the reason I didn't mention the fact that the mosquito is our provincial bird.

What country are you coming from?

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM

311 posts, read 1,137,955 times
Not sure about Halifax but Winnipeg is a great city to live in, in my opinion. It's mid sized at about 700k and it is slowly growing. There is nightlife, pretty average for a mid sized city. Most of the nightlife is around Corydon Avenue. Winnipeg is very, very friendly. Everyone is so nice and it has a nice cosy, small town feel to it.

It's freezing cold in Winnipeg!!!!! Canada is cold but Halifax, is like the Bahamas compared to Winnipeg! I think it's the coldest (or one of the coldest) capitals in the world. Regardless, the hot and beautiful summers make up for it. I like Winnipeg's weather cause it does have 4 distinct seasons and you can see that easily. There is a lot of mosquitoes in the summer time though (Last year there weren't many!) Summers are a lot warmer and nicer than Halifax. Not as many jobs as in bigger cities but I'm sure you will find something. Overall Winnipeg is a nice city to live in.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I'm from Manitoba, a little more than an hour from Winnipeg. The nickname for Winnipeg is Winterpeg. There is no comparison between Halifax weather and Winnipeg weather. The average January temp for Halifax is -6C. The average January temp for Winnipeg is -17.8C. Halifax is like the Bahamas to 'peggers.

It isn't unusual for the temperature to fall to -40. I said -30 because I didn't want to actually scare you. That's also the reason I didn't mention the fact that the mosquito is our provincial bird.

What country are you coming from?

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive
Yeah and temperatures can reach bellow -50 with windchill as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Yeah and temperatures can reach bellow -50 with windchill as well.
Shhhhh We should break it to the OP gently....

Seriously, I agree that Winnipeg is a nice city - it was the weather part of the OP's post that stuck out for me. I guess though, that the OP never clarified what kind of weather he or she considers acceptable, so perhaps winters cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey is just what he/she is looking for.

On the bright side - it's a dry cold....

Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Shhhhh We should break it to the OP gently....

Seriously, I agree that Winnipeg is a nice city - it was the weather part of the OP's post that stuck out for me. I guess though, that the OP never clarified what kind of weather he or she considers acceptable, so perhaps winters cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey is just what he/she is looking for.

On the bright side - it's a dry cold....
haha yeah. Good call Yeah at least it's a dry cold. This winter that just happened was much warmer than usual which is good.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 AM

OK guys I think I'm gonna go with Halifax... just seems like a better option. It's a lot warmer(or less cold :P) and it has a beach Thanks anyway.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

43 posts, read 173,705 times
Good choice. Winnipeg is nice, but Halifax is a much more interesting city for students in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada