U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,592 times

Advertisements

Our family wants to live in Canada to work, go to school and explore.

Here's what we're looking for.
1. A major university (going back to school)
2. Not too expensive housing and rent
3. Liberal attitudes
4. Family friendly (we have two young kids)
5. Natural parks (we like to play outdoors)

We can't afford Vancouver and it sounds too materialistic anyway. Calgary seems too expensive and conservative. Edmonton is attractive but it sounded like it was getting expensive. What about the East side cities? I don't know much about them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cities?

Thanks for any advice....

Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 AM

454 posts, read 678,590 times
I don't know much about Canada, but I was in Halifax a couple of years ago, and I really loved the place. Dalhousie University, is located in Halifax, and it seems like a good university.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,530 times
Thumbs up Brantford Ontario

Brantford Ontario a city of about 88,000 people. It is renowned for its parks department and the job they do with them. Laurier University and Nippising University are slowly taking over our downtown, for the good by the way, downtown. We also have a community college here. Close to Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo, which boosts a couple universities and a few community colleges too. 40 minutes (or less) south is Lake Ontario, one of the Great Lakes. Come visit and see what Brantford is all about. It is just on the edge of The Golden Horseshoe, an area that runs around the western end of Lke Ontario. Look that one up, it is the economic engine of North America, Hamilton, about 20 minutes away is part of that. Brantford lies in the area known as the Haldiman tract, an area running north south along the route of The Grand River in south central Ontario.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:23 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,914,734 times
who could ever argue with T O R O N T O....a fantastic city....why look further??

Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 AM

409 posts, read 1,689,064 times
Montreal

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergs View Post

3. Liberal attitudes

We can't afford Vancouver and it sounds too materialistic anyway. Calgary seems too expensive and conservative. Edmonton is attractive but it sounded like it was getting expensive. What about the East side cities? I don't know much about them.

Ottawa sounds like it would correspond to all of your criteria. Halifax as someone else suggested sounds good also.

Most Canadian cities would score very well on criteria 1, 4 and 5. BC and Alberta are quite expensive these days as is the Greater Toronto Area unless you go some distance from central Toronto. Some of the smaller cities in southern Ontario that are not part of the GTA but not too far either have excellent universities (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, etc.).

Regarding Liberal attitudes... well that depends where you're coming from and what your definition of liberal is. Conventional wisdom says that attitudes in Canada are most liberal in Quebec as a whole, the larger cities of Ontario, plus Vancouver. Halifax is probably the most liberal-minded place in Atlantic Canada.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,016 times
Smile Maybe Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergs View Post

3. Liberal attitudes

I would say the best choice might be Toronto then. I too am collecting information toronto.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-15-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: no advertising, please

Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 AM

26 posts, read 43,321 times
If you aren't looking for anything really big, I would suggest the Kitchener-Waterloo area. Waterloo University is world-renowned for it's Engineering and Medical programs and you also have Wilfred-Laurier University in the area as well. Waterloo has completely avoided the economic downturn in the manufacturing sector because of it's high-tech sector. The housing market has been one of the fastest-growing in the country so unfortunately, it has become a relatively expensive place to live, somewhat comparable to Ottawa. There are many beautiful parks in the area, I have three within a 5 minute walk from my house and the city does a great job at keeping it green and beautiful. Although the area was founded with somewhat conservative ideals in mind as it has a very large German and Mennonite population, these groups are concentrated mostly in the outskirts of the city itself. As for as being Liberal, the arts are not ignored, there is a symphony, a growing art-oriented population and we also have the world-renowned Perimeter Institute, where the greatest minds in the world lecture on a consistent basis. Reasearch in Motion has it's headquarters here and pour a large amount of funds into the area. They have built stadiums, parks and employ a large number of the population. I have lived here for almost a year and would reccomend this city to anyone.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,606 times
The University part will be your limiting factor, especially if you want into a Ph.D. program or would in the future. In academia, where you received prior education matters. in BC there is UVic in Victoria, SFU in Burnaby, UBC in Vancouver, TWU (Christian) in Langley, UFV in Abbotsford, UNBC in Prince George.

Prince George probably isn't what you would call 'liberal'. Then again, I don't think anywhere in Alberta would be called liberal.

That means (if you want a good University) somewhere 'out East' as there are some great Universities in Ontario, or around Vancouver. Victoria is very liberal.

Note that the US terms liberal' and 'conservative' do not really stack with the Canadian use. Canadian conservatives are not like US conservatives, but are much more liberal, pragmatic, realistic, etc. And might be 'liberal enough' to make you happy.

I'm not too sure if you're wanting a liberal space to live because you support gays or because you're used to a two party system and culture where individuals identify themselves with their political party. It's not really like that here, because most people tolerate gays (except small towns) and Canadians don't really connect their personal identity to their political party. (Although I know of some in the 60+ range that do.)

Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM

355 posts, read 1,381,032 times
My husband and i lived in Ottawa for almost 3 years. It is a wonderful place to live and a great place for families. Affordable when you compare it to Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver Plenty of stuff to do both in winter (skating in the canal) and summer (biking near the Rideau canal). University of Ottawa is great too. You can't go wrong with Ottawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or