U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,074 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

I am seeking advice about how to move personal things from the USA across the border into Canada at the Pigeon River crossing.

I am American and my boyfriend and soon-to-be-husband is Canadian. We met in the USA last October and have been crossing the border many, many times to see each other.

We will be sponsoring each other (family) to our respective countries as soon as my divorce is final (October 2008). However in the meantime, does anyone know what will happen if I crossed the border with a small trailer or a van filled with personal stuff.....furniture, 50cc scooter, household items and clothing?

Will they want me to pay duty on the items? Would it be better for my boyfriend to bring a trailer or van down and cross the border with the stuff?

Is there a web site that I can go to to correspond with the Pigeon River crossing Canadian officials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,423,569 times
While there is likely no specific site for a specific crossing, importation information is available on the Canada Border Services web site.

In a general sense, here's how things work.

Canada Border Services assumes that people who enter Canada as visitors will bring with them the items they need for their short stay. CBS often views the attempted importation of "non-visitor" items like furniture as a sign that the visitor may plan on staying permanently. This is often grounds for being denied entry.

Three things could happen if you pull up at the border with a load of household items:
-- you could be waved right through (unlikely)
-- you could be asked why you are importing items of a permanent nature, and your explaination could be accepted
-- you could be denied entry altogether

If your boyfriend shows up at the border with a load of stuff, he'll likely be asked where he obtained it. If he claims it's his personal belongings which he acquired while in the US, he'll likely be asked for proof of purchase. Any items which exceed his duty-free allowance will need to be paid for.

On the plus side, if you can wait until you've been accepted as a Permanent Resident, you will be allowed to bring in all the normal household possessions you like without paying duty or taxes.

As a side note, if your divorce is granted in the US and you plan on marrying in Ontario, please check into the requirements for obtaining a marriage licence. You will likely have to retain an Ontario lawyer to review your divorce decree, and then apply for clearence from the Ontario Registrar before being granted a licence.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,074 times
Thanks Cornerguy1. If I do get married in Canada, it will be in my boyfriend's home province of British Columbia.....Vancouver Island to be exact. Do you know if a lawyer will need to review the divorce in BC?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,423,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.carolm View Post
Thanks Cornerguy1. If I do get married in Canada, it will be in my boyfriend's home province of British Columbia.....Vancouver Island to be exact. Do you know if a lawyer will need to review the divorce in BC?

Registrations of Births, Deaths and Marriages are provincial jurisdictions, so each province likely has a slightly different procedure.

Your best bet would be to contact the British Columbia Registrar of Births .

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or