Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Think Quebec gives Europe a run for it's money?
Yes 14 46.67%
No 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times

Advertisements

I mean, Montreal is cool, but it's not THAT Europeanish. Quebec City is very beautiful, but same thing. Quality of life is high, but that place gets cold, doesn't compares scenically to literally most Euro capitals. Education will be better in many places in Europe, and that's not even considering how it's universalized. Many places in Germany, Austria, etc. probably perform better economically, the food of Quebec? What? Sucre creme? Poutine? and historically....come on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I mean, Montreal is cool, but it's not THAT Europeanish. Quebec City is very beautiful, but same thing. Quality of life is high, but that place gets cold, doesn't compares scenically to literally most Euro capitals. Education will be better in many places in Europe, and that's not even considering how it's universalized. Many places in Germany, Austria, etc. probably perform better economically, the food of Quebec? What? Sucre creme? Poutine? and historically....come on....

Please tell me you didn't just say Quebec has no real history.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
As a Brit, I would say no.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Please tell me you didn't just say Quebec has no real history.
Yeah it does, but the history of Quebec is a drop in the bucket compared to like, literally anywhere in Europe.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah it does, but the history of Quebec is a drop in the bucket compared to like, literally anywhere in Europe.
Well that's obvious. It was almost like you were dismissing it though, like you did poutine.

Traitor.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:03 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Still, if we're going by a European language that isn't English and architecture, then Puerto Rico is just as European as Quebec is, if we're going by those 2 metrics. Old San Juan looks like some town in southern Andalucía. Or, how about a lot of Mexican towns? Are they European as well with their abundance of clearly Spanish built townhouses in the same style that you find in Spain? It's ridiculous. Having lived in Europe for 5 months, I bet if I visited Quebec I wouldn't feel a European atmosphere at all
Except that no one on here has asked until now if Puerto Rico or any other place in Latin America feels more like Europe than Oklahoma or Wisconsin.

If you were to ask you to ask me the question I would probably answer yes, that a lot of places in Latin America (not of all of them - Sao Paulo for example) do have a certain European feel that is rarely found in English-speaking North America.

The U.S. in particular, probably because its culture is so strong and juggernaut-like, is among the countries in the Americas that is the furthest removed from its European roots.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well that's obvious. It was almost like you were dismissing it though, like you did poutine.

Traitor.
Lol, I love poutine as much as the next guy, but I like jamon, bratwurst, gyros, pizza, churros, döner more.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 PM

It's such a dumb original question anyway.

To which Europe is Quebec supposed to be compared to anyway?

To Italy or Spain where cities, towns and villages are hyper-dense, and a certain social conservatism and machismo still prevails, in addition to a ''soft'' chaos?

Or Scandinavia with its historic moderately dense city centres surrounded by suburbs with a mix of apartments and single-family homes, giving way to forested exurbs with large homes, then a smattering of farms, and then rocky, wooded cottage country dotted with lakes, and where the people have a strong egalitarian and collectivist streak?

While obviously it would not be a seamless fit, there are some definitions of ''Europe'' with which Quebec would not be that much of a mismatch.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Quebec isn't exactly like Europe of course, but there are a certain number of European-ish things (broadly defined) that are more prevalent here than in other parts of Canada the U.S. I don't really think this can be denied, honestly.

This thread might be of interest to you guys - it gives quite a few examples.

Québec: more like North America or more like Europe?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
To the French, Canada was quelques arpents de neige (a few acres of snow). They built very little in Quebec or anywhere in Canada for that matter. Quebec City is known for its British architecture, which is often falsely believed to be colonial French architecture. I would also say that French is no more of a European language than English is. Quebec's culture is part of Canadian culture and I just don't see how Canadian culture (or French Canadian culture alone) is any more European than American culture or Mexican culture or Brazillian culture... or any other national culture in the New World. We were all influenced by European and indigenous (although I'll give you that this is to a much lesser extent in certain countries, including Canada) influences in addition to unique regional customs that have developed over time in our isolation from the rest of the world. This applies equally to Quebec as the rest of Canada and the Americas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada