U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 PM
 
85 posts, read 598,959 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I've been moving around constantly for most of my life and I want to finally pick a place and settle down now. I am thinking about immigrating to Canada (I'm a US citizen) and I'd like to get thoughts from some actual Canadians about the country. In the UK (where I currently live) people have really negative opinions about the coming years, and I want a home with a brighter enviroment and future. My other option is to return to the US, and I'm considering San Francisco or Boston there. I've been to Toronto three times, and I've always enjoyed my visits, so that's where I'd go.

If you love life in Canada, and think it's far superior to life in the US, please tell me! This decision is stressing me out!

 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 AM
 
175 posts, read 1,523,372 times
Reputation: 185
I think difference people attach different levels of importance to a variety of factors in life, such as making money, being closer to nature, weather, night life, religion or even the government. I'd suggest you pinpoint what are most important to you before people can give you some advice.
 
Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 14,594,978 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
I think difference people attach different levels of importance to a variety of factors in life, such as making money, being closer to nature, weather, night life, religion or even the government. I'd suggest you pinpoint what are most important to you before people can give you some advice.

Well said.

Without more details, things just set up for a thread full of national chest-beating.
 
Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Toronto
217 posts, read 287,468 times
Reputation: 68
No, stay away from this country. Move to the US as quickly as possible.
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 PM
 
25 posts, read 149,994 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
No, stay away from this country. Move to the US as quickly as possible.
Are you kidding me?

I love Canada. Canada is very multicultural and is constantly growing, particularly the Greater Toronto Area. Canada not only offers free health care but a better public school system than the US. I heard that 30% of kids in the US go to private school while only 6% in Canada do so. There is also less crime and an overall more mixed country. For instance, from my experience in many American cities such as Boston, Detroit and Chicago, cities are both very racially divided and divided by income. In my opinion, this is less of an issue in Canada while it is still present to some extent.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
315 posts, read 1,520,566 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dot.o View Post
Canada not only offers free health care
Healthcare is far from free. I won't comment on your other remarks because they are either opinion or just plain inaccurate. There is no reasonable way 30% of US students (k-12) go to private school
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Toronto
217 posts, read 287,468 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dot.o View Post
Are you kidding me?

I love Canada. Canada is very multicultural and is constantly growing, particularly the Greater Toronto Area. Canada not only offers free health care but a better public school system than the US. I heard that 30% of kids in the US go to private school while only 6% in Canada do so. There is also less crime and an overall more mixed country. For instance, from my experience in many American cities such as Boston, Detroit and Chicago, cities are both very racially divided and divided by income. In my opinion, this is less of an issue in Canada while it is still present to some extent.
In my opinion being a multicultural country is bad because it brings out racism. For example my neighbourhood is being overrun by chinese, arabs, and persians. Its so bad that whites in my neighbourhood are now a minority. I can't tell you how many stares and racial remarks Iv'e had thrown at me for being white. Canada is being overrun by immigrants and they are pushing the white people out. My dream is to move to the US, somewhere maybe in Montana or Seattle where white people are not a minority. I have always believed that people should live with their own race, so all this multiculturalism in Canada doesnt do it for me.

O and by the way, healtchcare is not free you pay for it with the extremely high taxes.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 45,299,022 times
Reputation: 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
In my opinion being a multicultural country is bad because it brings out racism. For example my neighbourhood is being overrun by chinese, arabs, and persians. Its so bad that whites in my neighbourhood are now a minority. I can't tell you how many stares and racial remarks Iv'e had thrown at me for being white. Canada is being overrun by immigrants and they are pushing the white people out. My dream is to move to the US, somewhere maybe in Montana or Seattle where white people are not a minority. I have always believed that people should live with their own race, so all this multiculturalism in Canada doesnt do it for me.

O and by the way, healtchcare is not free you pay for it with the extremely high taxes.
Sounds like we in the states are complaining about many of the same things you Canadians are complaining about. Does this mean it is the same ol same ol everywhere we go?

But on your healthcare. The vast majority of us would clip off our left marble to have the opportunity to pay a bit more taxes to have your healthcare. Most people love to pay taxes so they would not mind paying more for the opportunity to erase the stress from their minds of getting sick and losing everything they worked for their entire lives. The horror stories run real deep here.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
315 posts, read 1,520,566 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But on your healthcare. The vast majority of us would clip off our left marble to have the opportunity to pay a bit more taxes to have your healthcare.
The problem is we don't pay "a bit" more taxes to have US style/quality healthcare. We pay much more in taxes to have Canadian style/quality healthcare. In my experience, we pay more (in Canada) to get less. The horror stories run deep on both sides of the border.

According to the Canadian Medical Association, cited in the link below, "Canada has its own problems — including fewer doctors per person than any other developed country, according to the Canadian Medical Association." That report was from 2000. I'm certain things have not changed for the better since...

Canada 'steals' doctors from poor countries: report
 
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 45,299,022 times
Reputation: 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
The problem is we don't pay "a bit" more taxes to have US style/quality healthcare. We pay much more in taxes to have Canadian style/quality healthcare. In my experience, we pay more (in Canada) to get less. The horror stories run deep on both sides of the border.

According to the Canadian Medical Association, cited in the link below, "Canada has its own problems — including fewer doctors per person than any other developed country, according to the Canadian Medical Association." That report was from 2000. I'm certain things have not changed for the better since...

Canada 'steals' doctors from poor countries: report

Part of your Doctor shortage is due to what they call "the brain drain". Back when I was there I think there was about 50 tax brackets with the lowest one at around 50%. A Doctor I saw there told me in the upper tax brackets one might pay 80% of his income in taxes.

I know all that has changed. But Canadian Doctors still dream of going south because salaries are open and unlimited where they are almost fixed in Canada.

We always hear about wait times in Canada hospitals. I say it is no better here. I been to hospitals in both countries as well as medical clinics. The biggest difference I see is when I went to a medical office in Canada the waiting room was a dump. Old hard plastic chairs on old industrial looking vinyl squares on the floor with institutional window coverings. In the states these same medical offices all have plush carpeting with soft real leather sofas in the waiting room with granite desks.

I think the skills of medical staff is just about the same. Except in Nevada of course since we are in dead last in all medical rankings. I think I would rather get sick in Iran then Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top