U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,628 times

Advertisements

I live in Windsor, Ontario. It is very unemployed city, I think rate is now 9-10. Me and my husband considering moving to Albarta or BC. I have part-time job here and I am fresh graduate of college - 2 year program in accounting. I can not find a job in accounting here because everybody ask for experience! It is frustriating. My husband is cabinetmaker, signmaker and very good handyman - can do anything. We have a house here, no kids, young couple. Tired of this dead city we wants to move West. We love Vancouver but it could be too expensive for us, so maybe Calgary. But many people are disappointed with Calgary. What do you think? How are the jobs in accounting? Can they hire graduate with no experience? We are gonna have to sell a house and live there in rentals but it is ok for the beginning. Job in a field is important too, I want to work in my field. And how are they for immigrants? Can they hire a pro with little bit of an accent ? And do I have to forget about Vancouver because of the cost? I think it is better to go there with experience then could be easier, and get that experience in Calgary. Thank you for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:26 PM

136 posts, read 812,152 times
One negative about BC is the provincial sales tax. Alberta has none. Even though it is expensive to live in Calgary I think it is still more so in Vancouver. I would think the job situation is better in Calgary than Van, although I think there are jobs in both. And as far as immigrants, the situation is getting easier. Many firms are bringing in foreign workers because they can't find Canadians and the government is making it easier for them.

I would love to live in Vancouver for the weather but financially I'm in Calgary. Till we retire anyway. LOL

Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 AM

39 posts, read 266,896 times
If you'd consider Calgary, don't forget about Edmonton. The housing prices have dropped a bit and so buying here is a bit more affordable than it has been. It's a city of about 1 million, lovely greenspace (river valley), good schools, good healthcare. I don't think you'd have much trouble finding a job here in the accounting field, and as for being immigrants, I don't think that would cause any problems - this city is becoming more and more diverse.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:09 PM

482 posts, read 2,114,814 times
Perhaps one reason you can't find work in your field is because of your grammar skills. Not saying my grammar is excellent by any means... No offense intended of course.

When employers ask for "Canadian Experience" that is a politically correct way for phrasing issues such as this and it could be a reason for your difficulties...

In all though, you'll find Albertan employers much more flexible and willing to work with candidates who have potential and who work hard. You did miss the top of the boom though, if you came here 2-3 years ago you would have had your pick of jobs.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:32 PM

39 posts, read 266,896 times
Maybe Alberta is not as accepting of diversity as I'd thought. Since you'll be doing accounting, your "grammar skills" will not be a huge problem (believe me, Albertans as a population do not hold any titles in the grammar department). I suspect the reason you cannot find work in Windsor has more to do with Windsor's depressed economy at the moment than anything else.
The Edmonton Journal today has over 400 jobs listed on an "accounting" search:
working in Edmonton (http://workingedmontonjobs.canada.com/js.php?q=Accounting&qCity=edmonton&qState=AB&qMile s=100&lookid=edmonton - broken link)

Here is some info on rents:
Edmonton Apartments for Rent, Edmonton Houses for Rent at RentEdmonton.com
Homebase.ca Edmonton rental properties for rental homes, rental town homes, rental condominiums and rental apartments (http://www.homebase.ca/home/gbrowse/Edmonton.html - broken link)

And on Edmonton in general:
Edmonton.com: Travel, Tourism & Leisure - Tourism

As an immigrant married to an immigrant, working for a university faculty in which my boss is an immigrant, as are many of my coworkers and my students - don't mind the negative stuff, some Canadians have a sense of superiority but most celebrate diversity and wouldn't discriminate against someone on the basis of "grammar"...indeed if they did, Canadians and immigrants alike would be out of a job!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,628 times
I wanted to come to Calgary when the boom started but...I decided to finish my school. Hmm We'll see I think there is no way I want to stay here in Windsor. Well I will be trying to get the job in accounting, even with any office job I would be very happy. Till we sell our house I want to gain some experience in a hospital as an office administrator - volunteering (because I work as a cashier, so only cashier experience I have in Canada so far). Maybe this would help me. But we decided to go to Calgary because my brother-in-law lives and works there as an electrician and he loves it (immigrant too). Thanks everybody for reply PS. I thought my grammar was not so bad But you're right, if I wanted to be a pro in a field I have to know better.

Last edited by venetia; 07-27-2008 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM

29 posts, read 118,828 times
there are a ton of jobs in Alberta, im not sure which city would be the best place to live, I live in Red Deer, its a small city but great for families,
lots of jobs, houses are a bit expensive but less than calgary...

Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 AM

124 posts, read 563,815 times
Edmonton is quite nice, boring but peaceful. Calgary I did not like at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada