U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 35,295 times

Advertisements

I am a final year student nurse in one of the universities in Toronto. I and my husband are planning to relocate to either Winnipeg, Edmonton, or Vancouver after my nursing programme next year. Also, my husband is rounding up a masters programme in public health in a university in London, England. Please, I need info. on cost of living of these cities, real estate, and the ease of getting jobs in our chosen profession.
Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM

39 posts, read 267,391 times
As an RN you would have no troubles finding work here in Edmonton. Our local health region is called Capital Health...they have many, many vacancies for RNs and would definitely hire a new grad. They also reimburse some moving expenses. The University of Alberta also has a school of public health - not sure if they could point your husband in the direction of public health jobs here. Edmonton is quite expensive to live in; at this point although housing prices have come down a bit over the past few months. I think the last real estate report that came out said the average housing price in this city is $416,000. You can find houses for less, but the most affordable homes are in the least desirable areas (read: crime, drugs, alcohol, homeless on the streets and the occasional drunk passed out on your front lawn). Coming from Toronto you probably think this price isn't too bad...but remember this is no Toronto - you're paying this for a small city on the prairies, far away from everywhere with not a lot to do through the winter (although summers are great). We moved here two years ago thinking that with Alberta's booming economy and the policy of no PST, the cost of living would be reasonably affordable. What we've found is that the oil boom has resulted in thousands and thousands of individuals earning ungodly amounts of money, while regular careers (I'm a nurse, my spouse a teacher) do not pay any more than anywhere else. The costs here have kept up with those earning tons of $$ and our salaries have us living right on the edge month to month. For an idea of incomes, my brother (and thousands like him) works in the oilpatch at the ground level (so anyone above him makes more money) and earns a take-home paycheque of $11,000 a month; I earn one third of that with my MN. The price of homes, food, cars, entertainment, etc is more in line with what he earns than what I earn....so we're hunting for jobs in Ontario and will move later this summer because we just can't afford to live here and save anything for retirement, let alone take a vacation.
Here are some sites with Edmonton info:
Real estate:
Comfree Private Sales - For Sale By Owner
Real Estate Weekly
Apartment rentals:
Homebase.ca - Edmonton & N. Alberta, Apartments for Rent (http://www.homebase.ca/home/search/listing/Edmonton/Rental/9001/Apartments_for_Rent.html - broken link)

Entertainment:
Cineplex theatres charge $12.50 a person
Restaurants: average meal for two at a casual place with no alcohol runs anywhere from $30-50

Edmonton is a lovely city with lots of greenspace, good schools and good healthcare, but what we've found is that we cannot live remotely well here and are far behind oilboys in earnings and buying power. The costs might be justified if this was a Toronto or a Vancouver, but it's an Edmonton.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 PM

428 posts, read 1,025,881 times
Vancouver, hands down. Winnipeg....just no. Edmonton is alright, but damn cold for a good chunk of the year and you are in a city that is basically in the middle of nowhere. Edmonton isn't even that much cheaper and really Vancouver just has so much more to offer. I think the extra expense is worth it. My wife is a nursing student and there are a lot of jobs here for nurses. As much as I love Vancouver we are leaving next year...the rain gets to me. That being said I will always prefer rain over snow and artic like conditons.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,330 times
living in winnipeg is not akin to living in the arctic.

yes we do experience all four seasons :P

a dollar in winnipeg can travel a lot further than a dollar in vancouver or edmonton.
if u want to start a family, winnipeg is a good place..u can get the same quality house in edmonton or vancouver for a fraction of the price u'd pay in either of those two cities...
winnipeggers are known for being friendly. u can get around anywhere u want in the city in a short period of time..its not that crowded..we have all the amenities of the edmonton and vancouver, except less frills and less rain.
visit winnipeg.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 AM

124 posts, read 564,596 times
Winnipeg is freezing in the winter, and they've got those terrible mosquitoes. Vancouver is a gorgeous city...Edmonton is a rather nice place but very cold and very dull. At least it's got the mall though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or