U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,540,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I would also be in a state of shock and I would almost certainly would try to think of some possible case of "If only ______ happened, ______ would still be alive".

However that is simply not rational. It happened in at nighttime and most people didn't realize what was going on. I have rode that very same route myself in Greyhound buses and it is a long and boring trip. Since it was also in the night, most people were sleeping or trying to relax. There isn't a lot of light on those buses at night either. So it would have been 34 people (keep in mind that many of them were children, elderly, and a few women as well) running single file down an aisle with low visibility against a pretty big crazy man wielding a hunting knife to "save" a guy who has been stabbed several dozen times already and was more than an hour away from the nearest emergency room.

I used to live in Winnipeg for time (just before I moved to Australia) and the place where the murder took place is a small town (maybe 10,000) that doesn't have a trauma center. The best bet for the young man would be for him to be taken to an emergency facility in Winnipeg (which is more than an hour away). He would have almost certainly bled out in that time.

So forgive if I have a low tolerance to people who are accusing or implying a bunch of people who were mostly sleeping up until a passenger stuck another are cowards or sissies for not doing something that would have been more likely to have resulted in one or more getting killed. The incident was quick, dark, crowded, and at a time when the people were least prepared to put up a fight. I don't look down at them at all.
I didn't know it happened at night when people were sleeping. That would be understandable. I thought it was in the bright light of day. It doesn't really matter about trauma centers and how many times he'd been stabbed. That's all stuff known in retrospect and not at the moment. All you'd know is the first blood-curdling scream that you heard, not whether the person was beyond saving at that point. That it was pitch-black on the bus is enough for me to know that there was little they could do. They can't be blamed for not being able to see, which has nothing to do with cowardice or heroics.
PS- Just read the article again wondering how I had missed that this happened at night. The link says "dusk was approaching". It wasn't at night, Frank, unless that story is incorrect. Too bad. I like your version better.

Last edited by laysayfair; 08-08-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 AM

550 posts, read 832,733 times
Peta used this event to promote their bull***** agenda. Now some whacky American religious group tried to enter Canada and protest at the dead mans funeral, so there might be a movie script in this story after all. Bizarre.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM

793 posts, read 1,476,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Wow... 34 other people couldn't have stopped this one guy? That's what I wonder. I read that they did attempt something after it was too late... but why not right away?

That is exactly what i was thinking when i read it in the paper.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM

432 posts, read 1,121,141 times
If those passengers had a GUN, THAT MAN WOULDNT HAVE DONE IT!!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

550 posts, read 832,733 times
Why do you say that? He wants to die.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,889,935 times
I agree with kidcanaduh ...the guy had killing on his mind ...a certain amount of "premeditation" too ....he "selected" his victim ...a slightly built 5'5" young guy sleeping at the back of bus ...he is charged with 2nd degree murder cuz it would be hard to convict him on 1st degree (even though I think a certain amount of "planning" was involved) ...as for those that think other passengers could of stopped him ...I say no way ...the victim was stabbed in a split second

Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 AM

170 posts, read 659,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
If those passengers had a GUN, THAT MAN WOULDNT HAVE DONE IT!!
The ability for the populace of Washington State to carry concealed weapons doesn't seem to have stopped the Tacoma Mall shooter. I'm afraid your reasoning is flawed affi.

Guns don't prevent murder or crime from taking place.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
The ability for the populace of Washington State to carry concealed weapons doesn't seem to have stopped the Tacoma Mall shooter. I'm afraid your reasoning is flawed affi.

Guns don't prevent murder or crime from taking place.
Do you have a link for that info. Every thing I've ever read says they do. That's why the police carry them.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 AM

3,373 posts, read 2,597,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Do you have a link for that info. Every thing I've ever read says they do. That's why the police carry them.
It's more of a statistical thing. I'm supportive of gun rights, but not every murder or mass shooting will be stopped by the right to carry a gun. Especially since most people who carry out these massacres fully plan to die during their attack.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
It's more of a statistical thing. I'm supportive of gun rights, but not every murder or mass shooting will be stopped by the right to carry a gun. Especially since most people who carry out these massacres fully plan to die during their attack.
I'd love to see those statistics. I didn't know anyone was keeping stats on crimes that have been prevented or the impact lessened by the presence of a gun. Would love the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada