U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 PM

954 posts, read 2,186,845 times
Default Quebec City or Montreal

Thinking of a trip to French Canada but im not sure whether to go too Quebec City or Montreal, any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM

33 posts, read 84,082 times
if you only speak english then go to montreal but if your fluent in french then go to quebec..

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: bashing not permitted

Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,009,965 times
It really depends what you want out of your holiday.

Montreal is a larger and more cosmopolitan city with a variety of cultures and experiences available.

If you're looking to experience a more pure Quebecois atmosphere, Quebec City is the place to go, especially this year as the city celebrates its 400th year of existence.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 PM

954 posts, read 2,186,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
It really depends what you want out of your holiday.

Montreal is a larger and more cosmopolitan city with a variety of cultures and experiences available.

If you're looking to experience a more pure Quebecois atmosphere, Quebec City is the place to go, especially this year as the city celebrates its 400th year of existence.
Thanks I have a much better idea on where to go on holiday now.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 AM

25 posts, read 65,486 times
You can do both. Quebec City is only two hours from Montreal and you could take a cheap bus there. You could probably take in all Quebec City has to offer in a single day trip. Personally, I find it to be a rather dull tourist down. Its story is interesting, but when I travel, I prefer to consume living, contemporary culture over hermetically sealed history.

Also, Montreal is about four times larger than Quebec City. So if you're talking bang for your buck, go with Montreal. It may not be the political capital of Quebec, but it is unquestionably the cultural epicenter.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM

39 posts, read 206,346 times
I've not been to Montreal, but Quebec City is beautiful. You'd manage just fine even if you don't speak French (I don't) - the local people are very helpful in that regard. Walking the streets of Old Quebec really gives you a sense of history - it's a truly unique experience to eat at an outdoor cafe on the edge of cobble-stone streets, surrounded by old European buildings while musicians serenade you. Just magical!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 27,767 times
Montreal is the right place to go if your looking an exciting nightlife and a good time

But if your looking to walk around and truly enjoy a cities caracter, the Quebec city is the right place to go.

Although both cities offer a little bit of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada