Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 PM

136 posts, read 891,873 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me the attraction of the Petro Canada/Humpty's truck stop on the #1 just west of Calgary where it intersects highway 22. The Cochrane/Bragg Creek turn off. There are always tons of cars parked there. It cant be Humpty's that is the draw. The only thing I can think of is maybe people park their cars then and go cycling on 22. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 PM

482 posts, read 2,411,432 times
That whole Highway 1/ Highway 22 intersection is a mess... Probably one of the most dangerous intersections I have ever witnessed in my life in a developed country. Dangerous cutoffs, dirt access roads with huge potholes, ultra short accelerate/deaccelerate lanes, and a one lane overpass all rolled into one. An embarrassment for a developed nation like Canada.

I honestly don't know what the appeal of that travel plaza is except it is the only branded gas station/restaurant between Calgary and Canmore (which is ridiculous in its own right). I don't see the appeal what with the rutted dirt road leading to the place and all... Maybe its an informal carpool lot?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Agreed, the intersection is terrible. What do you have, maybe 20 feet to merge on to a major freeway!! I could see the informal carpool parking on the weekdays. Maybe Canmore to Calgary commuters. I don't see it weekdays though, just on the weekends when I head out to the mountains. And the whole #1 from Lake Louise to Kamloops is a national disgrace and a death trap. And how about the QE2 from Edmonton to Calgary. When are they going to make it a controlled access road?

Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 PM

105 posts, read 316,089 times
People meet here to go to work either in the city or in the mountains. They meet here and carpool or companies have work buses that pick them up here. Once when I was younger working on a movie outside of Calgary a bus would pick up the carpenters from a spot close to there, closer to calgary, and shuttle them to set in Morley. Other than that Humpties is gross and could only attract drunks and houseflies...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Ahhh, OK thanks. Makes more sense than Humpty's being THE spot to go these days!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 11,773 times
It is a handy car-pool meeting spot especially for people venturing out to the mountains. People from north and south Calgary can meet there without going too far out of their way, then pile into one vehicle for the longer trip to the mountains. It is often used for golfers who must be travelling to a course west of Calgary. I've only used it as a mountaineering/scrambling/hiking carpool parking lot. In fact, I used it for that just two days ago. You almost need a 4x4 to negotiate those potholes! The trick for getting onto the trans-canada east-bound is to take the potholed frontage road north to 22, turn right, then take the loop-de-loop to the right, under the overpass. There's only about 100m of official road to accelerate on, but what I do is check to the left to ensure no one is turning in front of me (very very important!) and then floor it, using the shoulder of the highway for several hundred meters beyond the intersection to get up to speed. It helps to have a vehicle with some pep, as you're accelerating up hill... Nothing to it, really, unless some nimrod in front of you gets in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada