U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,243 times

Advertisements

G'day,

It looks like my husband may have a job in Newfoundland, so we are investigating the area. We would be based in St.John's but he would be on a fly in/fly out 2 week roster.
I am pregnant & the baby is due in March, so it will be born in Canada.
Lots of questions but the 1 that is my biggest question is:
How much does it cost to have a baby in Newfoundland?! Our visitors medical insurance doesn't cover it so we have to pay. That's ok if we know how much!!
If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them!
Many thanks.
Kerry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 AM

136 posts, read 598,663 times
I've never been to Newfoundland but had a couple British friends who lived in St. Johns for a couple years and they loved it.

Would you be able to get Canadian health care while you are living there? I know in Alberta you can apply for Alberta Health care once you have been a resident of the province for 3 months. I'm not sure how it works in Newfoundland or for job transfers though.

Try this website for Health Canada contact information.

Contact Us - General Inquiries

Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 4,155,880 times
Health Canada should most likely be paying for the child, as 1) you sill be residents in Canada and 2) your baby will be Canadian.

I am envious of you ..... I absolutely LOVE Newfoundland .... am an honorary citizen of Fleur de Lys, something I am very proud of.

If I could make a living in Newfoundland I'd move there in a heart beat ....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 AM

2,832 posts, read 4,898,008 times
Going from an Australian summer to a March in St. Johns will be something of a shock. Since he's likely working on the rigs, you need to do some digigng into St. Johns. Very nice from everything I hear, but it does have an outport vibe. Small, isolated, and a bit on it's own.

Newfoundland is the spiritual equivalent to Tasmania. Just a shade different than the rest of the nation. Still great, but it really can't be lumped in with the rest of the country.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM

2,512 posts, read 4,155,880 times
St Johns has a large cultural center. And considering it is located on a rck in the middle of the water, it has quite the cosmopolitan feel with the small town friendliness ......

Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 PM

39 posts, read 209,960 times
Generally in order to be covered by the provincial medical plan you need to either be a Cdn citizen or a permanent resident (immigrant). If you don't fall into these two categories you may not be able to access the provincial plan. Having said that you can probably contact the people who administer the plan in Nfld and ask them how much the average hospital birth will cost including doctors fees (Newfoundland Medical Care Plan). Just one thought though, and it's not one you like to consider - if there are any complications and you need a C-section or your newborn needs to stay in the NICU for any length of time, the costs would escalate rapidly. Perhaps your travel medical insurance would pay for these types of emergency and critical care situations - you may want to check that before you come just in case. Also, as far as I know, midwifery is still not a regulated profession in Nfld, so that is not really a viable option (Cda is very far behind the rest of the world on the midwifery front unfortunately).

Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 PM

271 posts, read 771,656 times
Newfoundland is a great place, I'm jealous!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 PM

40 posts, read 129,026 times
I have alot of Newfie friends and they had to move to Fort Mcmurray for work...was wondering what your husband does for work that he got a job in Newfoundland? Are you crazy ...I don't know but do you know ppl there....can get very lonely ....Newfies are wonderful friendly ppl....but they still do not take the place of family..long way to go from Australia...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM

12 posts, read 18,856 times
Welcome to Newfoundland. Its a super great place to live. and lots to do. Our health care system is great and Im thinking the birth of your baby should be covered as the baby is being born in Nfld. Good luck with everything during your stay. Get out and get involved.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 AM

96 posts, read 156,533 times
Yes, you are officially crazy (unless your husband is going to make a LOT of money to offset the relative isolation and the cold).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada