Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are visiting Toronto for a long weekend. We're seeing Radiohead on 8/15 and staying at the Hazleton Hotel, but other than that we have no plans. (Her birthday is 8/17, though that afternoon and evening will be spent driving home.) We've never been to Toronto, though we love Montréal and Québec and have visited frequently. In my mind, Toronto is a big, modern, clean, exciting place, but I have no idea what to expect, nor do we know what would be good to do. Of course I could look at some list online, but I thought maybe I'd see what some real people would suggest. We're both mid-20s, enjoy good food, drinks, shopping, just walking around new cities, etc.

Thanks very much for anyone who wants to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,697 times
You could go see a baseball game at the Rogers centre, and go up the CNN Tower. those are close to many different public transportation. so u can take a subway to close to anywhere you want from there, quickest way to go from one place in the city to the next. For further out u can take a VIA train. There is a Zoo on the East part of the city. But if u want to stay downtown, there is the Royal Ontario Museum. The Hockey hall of fame, i think there is a boat cruise somewhere. There is way too much to do there in only a few days. You would have to pick and choose.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM

301 posts, read 1,327,306 times
Try this for something different: Take a ride along the Queen Street West streetcar from end to end. It's a fascinating ride that cuts right through the bottom of the city stretching from The Beach(es) in the east to Etobicoke in the west. It's one of the longest surface routes in the North America. You can really get a great feel for Toronto just by sitting there and looking out the window. Catch it mid-day and the ride will take you about ninety minutes to travel from end to end. Get yourself a day-pass and you're free to hop on and off anywhere you like!

There can be various different streetcar routes on Queen Street. You want the one that says "Neville Park" (if going east) or "Long Branch" (if going west). Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
We always enjoy taking the ferry out to Toronto Islands...you catch it near the CNN tower. On a pretty day, you will get an amazing view of the city. Its a very short and inexpensive ferry ride with very frequent service so you can stay as long or short as you want.

Also, if you are all into markets, St Lawrence Market and Kennsington Markets are a blast.

Walking around the Beaches is fun to do too...so many fantastic shops of all sorts are there. Enjoy BEAUTIFUL Toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,466 times
I agree with the other posters ....all good choices ...you're staying a very good hotel in the heart of Yorkville ...it's the area that "stars" shop when in Toronto ...places like Hazelton Lanes ...lot's of high end stores and restaurants ....you've only got 3 days so I would check out Eaton's Center ...CN Tower ....and the ferry to Center Island is good too ... not sure about the Queen street car ....Beaches boardwalk is cool ...maybe check out Queen St West ....Casa Loma ...

Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I've been looking on my own, as well. I had no idea Toronto had so much cool stuff to do. I'm really excited now.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 PM

63 posts, read 426,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
My fiancée and I are visiting Toronto for a long weekend. We're seeing Radiohead on 8/15 and staying at the Hazleton Hotel, but other than that we have no plans. (Her birthday is 8/17, though that afternoon and evening will be spent driving home.) We've never been to Toronto, though we love Montréal and Québec and have visited frequently. In my mind, Toronto is a big, modern, clean, exciting place, but I have no idea what to expect, nor do we know what would be good to do. Of course I could look at some list online, but I thought maybe I'd see what some real people would suggest. We're both mid-20s, enjoy good food, drinks, shopping, just walking around new cities, etc.

Thanks very much for anyone who wants to help!

Eaton Centre, Queen Street , Pacific Mall, Square One, Yorkdale (shopping)

Spadina (china town)

Gerard (lil India)

Church Street (Gay Area)

CN Tower

Roger's Centre

Toronto Island (skyline)

Goverment, Republic, Tonic (clubbin)

Niagra Falls

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
If you like spicy food, check out this Pakistani/Indian restaurant on Gerard (in downtown). It's a unique restaurant because it's basically just a large space covered with a huge tent. My husband and I discovered this restaurant by accident, one night while walking down Gerard, we saw a crowd waiting in line to get into this open tent. We thought there's a wedding or some sort, turned out they're there to eat. We quickly stood in line and ordered what looked good on the menu. Wow..!! The best Lamb Biryani we've tasted, and believe me, I know my Indian food . Don't forget to try their homemade Kulfi (indian ice cream) to cool your tounge from the spicy food. To die for!! I remember it was around 11pm by the time we left, but there were still people lining up to get in, and almost 100% of their customers are either Indian or Pakistani, so that should tell you that the food is quite authentic.

Regarding CN tower, I personally don't think it's worth it. It's usually too crowded to get to the very top, so prepare to wait up to 2 hours just to get up (definitely ask the ticket agent about the wait length before you purchase the tickets).

Definitely explore Chinatown. Lots and lots of great food, not to mention fresh tropical fruits you can buy at reasonable prices. When we were there last year for labor day weekend, we found mangosteens and rambutans (a hairy looking southeast asian fruit that tastes like lychee). I've never seen these even in NYC's and San Francisco's Chinatown. Oh, do try their 'bobba' tea. Not sure why it's called that way, but it's basically ice milk tea with choices of additional flavors thrown in a cup.

You can tell we like to try out the unusual stuff when we travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada