Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:09 AM

12 posts, read 85,884 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am coming from a country where normal temp now a days is 35c to 40c.
I am planing to settle in Calgary or Toronto in Sep-08.

Now i am wondering that which type of clothing should i bring along OR should i buy it from Canada; when i land...

I would be grateful if you provide me the specifics...

And i also heard a lot about the FROST BITE in Toronto / Calgary... is it true ?

Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM

217 posts, read 346,459 times
Everything that you need you can buy here, and the things you will need are as follows: hat, gloves, wool jacket with hood, fleece sweaters, snow pants, regular sweaters, snow shovel, goggles because when you shovel snow during a snow storm you will get snow in your eyes, also buy a set of winter tires.

Yes it is true about the frost bite, when there is lots of wind make sure to cover your face with something warm.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 PM

217 posts, read 346,459 times
I almost forgot... you also need to buy a snow scraper to scrape ice off your car windows.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 PM

105 posts, read 317,321 times
Dress like Erkel and you will fit in fine in both places...

Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp2010 View Post
Dress like Erkel and you will fit in fine in both places...
would you care to explain this ?? or provide me a link....

Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naqvi View Post
would you care to explain this ?? or provide me a link....

It's a rather dated reference to a television character not noted for his style sense.

Anything you need can easily be bought once you get settled. See how cold you feel and buy clothing accordongly.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,449 times
If you are coming in sep and planning to settle down Toronto, then you just need to bring warm clothes which you wear in winter in your country (guessing winter temp. around 10-15 C there) You can buy all your woolen jackets, cap, gloves, thermal wear, winter boots before it gets colder in toronto. I am sure you are going to rent an apartment initially so you do not have to worry about snow removal. Just be careful when you walk on ice or snow (buy good quality snow boots before snow starts). You will need a snow brush after you buy a car. I never lived in Calgary so I am not sure abt the weather in sep.

I recommend you to buy most of these things from canada because we bought full length leather coats with lamb wool liners and all other winter accessories before moving to Canada in December. We spent a lot on these things and after a year we felt that they are outdated and very heavy as compared to the winter jackets available in Canada and then we donated everything and bought everything new.

I lived in Canada for 7 years and got used to this extreamly cold weather within a year. Before moving to Canada, I was living in an African Country. So everyone gets used to this cold weather. If you wear proper winter clothes, you will just feel cold on your skin around your eyes (when you cover your face with woolen scarf). You will feel cold only when you are walking on the road or waiting for the bus. Cars, homes, malls, schools, buses etc have heating and airconditioning system.

Last edited by trusam; 08-18-2008 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
If you are coming in sep and planning to settle down Toronto, then you just need to bring warm clothes which you wear in winter in your country (guessing winter temp. around 10-15 C there) You can buy all your woolen jackets, cap, gloves, thermal wear, winter boots before it gets colder in toronto. I am sure you are going to rent an apartment initially so you do not have to worry about snow removal. Just be careful when you walk on ice or snow (buy good quality snow boots before snow starts). You will need a snow brush after you buy a car. I never lived in Calgary so I am not sure abt the weather in sep.

I recommend you to buy most of these things from canada because we bought full length leather coats with lamb wool liners and all other winter accessories before moving to Canada in December. We spent a lot on these things and after a year we felt that they are outdated and very heavy as compared to the winter jackets available in Canada and then we donated everything and bought everything new.

I lived in Canada for 7 years and got used to this extreamly cold weather within a year. Before moving to Canada, I was living in an African Country. So everyone gets used to this cold weather. If you wear proper winter clothes, you will just feel cold on your skin around your eyes (when you cover your face with woolen scarf). You will feel cold only when you are walking on the road or waiting for the bus. Cars, homes, malls, schools, buses etc have heating and airconditioning system.
Thanks Mate, ur response was really helpful..... and BTW i am coming from Pakistan and presently the rountine temp is 40C.... Since u came from Africa, u can very well imagine the temp effect on people coming from hot places....

Old 08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
I have bounced around grew up in the coldest Province in Canada (Manitoba) left 9 years ago to live in The Bahamas, we lived in the Bahamas for several years before moving to Montreal, Canada.
We have recently now moved to Florida.

It is not that difficult to make these transactions if you do plan and dress appropriately.
In Calgary you will find as soon as the sun sets it gets cold right away, even in the summer months.
In the winter they have warm air that blows Chinook wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that can warm up the air very quickly. Toronto is colder and Montreal a bit colder, Winnipeg FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!! No one should have to live like that!!!!!

Best of luck in Canada!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 17,481 times
lol, keep covered at all times, dont breath, your lungs may freeze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada