Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times

Advertisements

Hi! I must say I'm so gald that there is a Canada forum now. It has been very interesting.
I'm Canadian and have lived in the US now for 6 years. I am thinking of getting my US Citenzenship. I have absolutely no plans of ever moving back to Canada. Can anyone give me some advice on whether or not I should? The only thing I know of that would be different is that I could vote. I do think that is an important right and responsibility of someone who is living in a certain country. I'm a little torn though because I know I have to give up my Canadian citezenship. I have nothing against Canada. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to grow up in that great, beautiful, diverse country and I wouldn't in any way want anyone to think my getting US Citezenship has anything to do with negativism against Canada.
Also if anyone has been in this position could they tell me what it actually takes to become a US Citizen?? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 PM

177 posts, read 847,687 times
You would not have to give up your canadian citizenship. In the eyes of the government of canada, you'd be a dual citizen. In the eyes of the government of the us, you'd be a us citizen.

eileen

Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,617 times
Hi dreameyes,

My husband and I have lived in the US for five years. Do you have your "green card" ? I know that you must have that first before going through the process to become a citizen. It is a very long and involved affair, and very costly too. I know this because we are in the midst of doing it! While far from an expert, I can certainly let you know of our own experience. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
This is such an individual decision. I had two friends that lived in the States for eons; one was actually married to a naturalized citizen. Neither elected to become citizens and in fact one exempt themselves from social security payments. They felt for personal reasons accepted to their Canadian citizenship and heritage. Both seemed to believe they would lose something by giving it up!

I think rather than trust to my knowledge, you'd be better off checking directly with the Bureau and get the facts. I don't believe it is difficult; just takes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Hi! I must say I'm so gald that there is a Canada forum now. It has been very interesting.
I'm Canadian and have lived in the US now for 6 years. I am thinking of getting my US Citenzenship. I have absolutely no plans of ever moving back to Canada. Can anyone give me some advice on whether or not I should? The only thing I know of that would be different is that I could vote. I do think that is an important right and responsibility of someone who is living in a certain country. I'm a little torn though because I know I have to give up my Canadian citezenship. I have nothing against Canada. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to grow up in that great, beautiful, diverse country and I wouldn't in any way want anyone to think my getting US Citezenship has anything to do with negativism against Canada.
Also if anyone has been in this position could they tell me what it actually takes to become a US Citizen?? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmatl View Post
You would not have to give up your canadian citizenship. In the eyes of the government of canada, you'd be a dual citizen. In the eyes of the government of the us, you'd be a us citizen.

eileen
I agree!

To become an American, you must swear an oath of alliegance and to renounce your former citizenship. Canada does not recognize any oaths.

The only way to lose your Canadian citizenship is by going through a Canadian lawyer and fill out tons of paper work. Conrad Black did this so he could become an English "Lord" but now wants back in.

I want American citizenship (dual-citizenship) so I can be in anywhere in the U.S. at anytime, including during events like 9/11 and if someone tries to deport me they can't. I want legal proof that there's no reason I should not be in the U.S. (if that makes any sense... )

Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I agree!

To become an American, you must swear an oath of alliegance and to renounce your former citizenship. Canada does not recognize any oaths.

The only way to lose your Canadian citizenship is by going through a Canadian lawyer and fill out tons of paper work. Conrad Black did this so he could become an English "Lord" but now wants back in.

I want American citizenship (dual-citizenship) so I can be in anywhere in the U.S. at anytime, including during events like 9/11 and if someone tries to deport me they can't. I want legal proof that there's no reason I should not be in the U.S. (if that makes any sense... )
If I could grant it to you, I would. I can think of no one who'd make a better American. Honestly. There are 1 million Canadians living in the United States in all kinds of capacities. There must be a way for you.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:09 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
My parents are both from the UK, and lived in the US for 40 years before taking out US citizenship. They ended up taking out US citizenship b/c of estate taxes...I am not srue of the details, but I know they did it b/c of estate taxes (taxation when you die..) are high in the US, but...if you are not a US citizen, apparently the situation is far worse...check with a financial advisor with experience in non-citizen estate planning "issues" but that reason alone might be worth it for you!

Now that they've done it, they're glad they did. They still have their UK citizenship (EU now), but they also get to vote here. The fact that they'd been here so long and raised their kids here and not ever voted here bothered them (though apparently not enough!). Taxation without representation I suppose...hmm...

I got dual at birth, so worked out nicely for me

Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
If I could grant it to you, I would. I can think of no one who'd make a better American. Honestly. There are 1 million Canadians living in the United States in all kinds of capacities. There must be a way for you.
Awe shucks! Thanks MoMark.

You're one of the most interesting, nicest guys I've came across on the net.
I tried that soap on the toothbrush thing. I was amazed that not only did I not gag, but it was great at cleaning my teeth and didn't interfere with the taste of most foods.
Donkeys rock too! They're so funny.

1 million Canadians? I didn't know that number was so high. Not totally surprised though.

Yes there are a few ways I can some day legally work in the U.S. All of them are long and tedious. I found out recently Canadians are now excluded from the Green Card Lottery, on account of too many Canadians already live there and maybe they're trying to promote diversity. Oh well. I'm not too worried.

I'm not feeling as cold anymore since I started lifting weights again. This extra lean mass, as well as increased circulation (from the actual movements) sure helps keep the core temp up. This cold winter weather still doesn't feel good, but some of the edge has been taken out of it.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Awe shucks! Thanks MoMark.

You're one of the most interesting, nicest guys I've came across on the net.
I tried that soap on the toothbrush thing. I was amazed that not only did I not gag, but it was great at cleaning my teeth and didn't interfere with the taste of most foods.
Donkeys rock too! They're so funny.

1 million Canadians? I didn't know that number was so high. Not totally surprised though.

Yes there are a few ways I can some day legally work in the U.S. All of them are long and tedious. I found out recently Canadians are now excluded from the Green Card Lottery, on account of too many Canadians already live there and maybe they're trying to promote diversity. Oh well. I'm not too worried.

I'm not feeling as cold anymore since I started lifting weights again. This extra lean mass, as well as increased circulation (from the actual movements) sure helps keep the core temp up. This cold winter weather still doesn't feel good, but some of the edge has been taken out of it.
Glad the soap advice worked for you! I alternate one night with baking soda, the next with Ivory soap and I use my electric toothbrush and gently let it massage and clean the gum/tooth line. It always feels fresh and clean afterward and I never have gum bleeding anymore. The soap really does get rid of the germs and help heal the gums! Plus, after a rinse or two, your mouth just feels awesome! Glad it works for you too!
Those two donkeys down the road from me... I'll take a picture of them and post it. I love them. They're so cute and they always stick together. I think they were put in a safe place during the ice storm as that guy's property got really messed up, but I saw them the other day and one day I stopped my truck and got out, walked up to the pasture fence and tried to pet them. They were skittish, but interested. Geez how I'd LOVE to have some donkeys!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Default Dreameyes

A previous poster made an excellent point about the taking of citzenship being a very individual decision. To do justice to your new country you should enter into that commitment with enthusiasm.

That being said, if you've lived in the US for 6 years and plan on making it your permanent home for the forseeable future, by all means investigate the requirements and procedures.

Here's a start for you: The web site for US Citizenship and Immigration Services

www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Just copy and paste it into your browser window to enter the world of forms and fun.

ColdCanadian is quite right in saying that, in the eyes of the Canadian government, you will retain your Canadian citzenship regardless of oaths made elsewhere.

On the surface of the matter, it would seem you have everything to gain and little to lose.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada