U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 AM

5 posts, read 68,776 times
Default Thinking of moving to Quebec!

Hi All,

Would love to hear from anyone with some advice
As i live in France at the moment with my husband a 2 boys aged 15 & 12 we are English and have been in France now for 6 Years, the children are fluent in French but my husband and i are not ,but get by ok..We are looking into moving to Quebec in the future and would like to know if we would be welcome as i have read many different reviews. Do they just speak French Plus is the schooling in French or English

Would love someone to give me some information on this situation.

Many thanks and i look forward to your advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 AM

9,103 posts, read 9,384,298 times
I live in Quebec. I think I answered most of your questions in this post a few months ago:

european family move to Canada

Feel free to fire away with any more questions you might have.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

Hi Acajack,

Thanks for the link, i read the information and found it really helpful.
Im new to this forum and its given me some important info.

Ive read that being English and living in Quebec can be difficult due to anglo problems.. is this true or is it really all blown out of porportion.At the moment i am living in France so i know that its hard being excepted into a new community, but my husband and i can get by with our French and as for the children no problems as French is their second language.
Would it be possible for us to get jobs easily with poor French or is this not a problem?

As areas is all new to me, which areas would you reccomend is best for a English family starting out in Quebec, we really like the rural outside feel but need to be able to get to all the main amenaties having 15 & 12 year old boys..

Hope i have not asked to many questions?

Thank you for your advice
Coolbreeze2008

Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 AM

I could go on and on about this, so don’t ever worry about asking too many questions.

I don’t know your reasons for leaving the UK for France and don’t know why you are picking Quebec as a destination in North America.

If your goal is to improve your French, then you should be able to do so quite satisfactorily in most of Quebec, much the same way as you would in France. There are a handful areas of Quebec (including a largish urban area in western Montreal) where English is either the main language or has pretty much equal local status with French. There are sometimes tensions between English and French speakers in these areas of Quebec, but for the most part things are quite relaxed and people get along quite well.

You will especially get along well with the majority French speakers in Quebec if they perceive you are making an effort (no matter how much you mangle their language) to speak French. You may even find that you don’t get to practise your French enough to your liking, since many francophones will likely want to practise their English with you.

Regarding jobs... it depends on how poor your French really is and where you choose to live. There are some jobs in Montreal for people with limited or no French, but even 25 km in the country outside the city it’s pretty much French-French-French everywhere.

Since you like the country, the only majority English-speaking rural area of Quebec is known as the Pontiac. It is located in western Quebec (approx. 50 km west of Gatineau, and approx. 300 km west of Montreal), near the border with Ontario. Not to disparage it, but it is an economically depressed region plagued by outmigration of its young people, etc.

You may glance at a map of Quebec and see that the area east of Montreal around Granby and Sherbrooke has mostly English place names. This is a reflection of the initial settlement (by people loyal to the British Crown after the American Revolution in the 1700s), but today this is an area that is more than 95% French-speaking. There are still a handful of small anglo towns in this area, but not too many.

If you feel language is going to be a challenge, you may be making your life difficult for nothing by choosing Quebec as a Canadian destination. Canada has 9 other provinces, all of which are majority English-speaking, with as many (if not more in certain cases) economic opportunities as Quebec has.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 PM

Hi Acajack,

Thank you so much for all your information and in such detail, its making things a lot clearer. We have been living in France now for 6 years mainly moved from the UK for the children so that they could have a childhood like we had as children (freedom of the outside and good schooling). The boys have been schooling in France since 6 and 8 so they have been schooling in France for longer than in the UK so i really wanted that to continue due to exams etc, We do love the French way of live and enjoy the Quality of life. As an Adult another Language is hard, we intergrate an awful lot but it would be nice to be able to have some friends that you can really get to know well and have the relaxation of being able to speak your mother tongue in our old age for the future.We have always loved the thought of Canada but its a huge step to take, but due to us living in France plus now the childrens education being in French we thought Quebec would be the ideal place.
Here in France its very difficult to join any outside clubs(sport, exercise, pottery etc) due to the language barrier and we wondered wether this would be the same in Quebec.

Im going to check out those areas you have given me.

Many thanks
Coolbreezs2008

Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM

I forgot to mention also that French schools exist in many areas of Canada outside Quebec. This may also be a good option for you, as your kids could continue schooling in French whereas you wouldn’t be hampered professionally as the main employment language in these areas would still be English.

A good area for people looking for this combination would be rural Eastern Ontario, where the population is quite mixed between French and English speakers (though it depends on the towns - some more French, some more English), but economic life often leans on the English side. It is roughly equidistant between the cities of Ottawa (close to 1 million people) and Montréal (3.5 million people approx.), about 100 km from each. Since this area is in Ontario rather than Quebec, the presence of French in the marketplace and job market is not as strong and English is more the default language.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 AM

Thanks so much you have been a great help

Have you always lived in quebec and how do you find it?

I am going to check out all the information you have provided, for example houses plus prices, health care etc and will let you know how it all goes.

Is it hard to get visas for this region of Canada?

Many thanks

Coolbreeze2008

Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 AM

I have lived in Quebec for the past 15 years. Prior to that, I lived in the English-speaking part of Canada, where I was born and raised into a French-speaking family. (In addition to an English minority in Quebec, there are also French minorities in the parts of Canada outside Quebec.)

In my lifetime, I have lived in five of Canada’s ten provinces.
I decided to move to Quebec because after a lifetime spent of speaking French in my home, but English as soon as I stepped out the front door, I wanted to see what it would be like to live in French pretty much from A to Z: from the grocery store to the bus driver to interaction with the neighbours. So here I am 15 years later.

Personally, I really do love Quebec. It’s not perfect but I feel more at home here than in any other of the many places I’ve lived. I guess it probably helps that my kids are living their lives here as well. Of course, in spite of my decent English writing skills I am a native French speaker, so that helps a lot when trying to fit in. Although many English speakers in mainly French Quebec do feel completely at home here, as do many of the French speakers living in the English provinces of Canada.
Bottom line: every place in the world is not for everyone. It’s just a question of personal preference. Just because I am happy or someone else is unhappy in Quebec does not mean that you will be.

A few more general comments...
House prices in Quebec (even in quite desirable areas) are generally much less expensive than most other areas of Canada and the U.S., and cheaper than Europe as well.
Health care in Quebec (as in all of Canada) is socialized, which means it is free (ie paid for by your taxes). There are some problems in Quebec and also in other Canadian provinces regarding wait times and doctor and nurse shortages, but generally speaking you can of course always get the care you need and when you do get it it is usually pretty good. You just have to be patient sometimes.

Immigration is a shared responsibility between the Quebec government and the Canadian federal government. If you want to go to Quebec, contact the Quebec government’s immigration department first: Immigration-Québec - Home Page

If you want to go elsewhere in Canada (including Ontario), contact the Canadian federal government’s immigration department: Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 PM

Hi Acajack,

Wow.. thank you so much you have been a wealth of information

You have really provided me with every aspect of moving and what to look into etc.I am going to look into every region you have given me and check out which region we as a family would feel most at home. Unlike you our French is no way as good as your English i feel we love the French way of life and the language but when we move next it will be our final big move and we would like to retire in an area where we can have both aspects of the French life and some of the language but be able to spk English when we need to for bigger problems or for making friends easier..

For our children its comfort to hear that French schools are all around Canada as i would like them to continue in a French school because i feel the schooling is a whole lot better.

Last year We made friends with a family that had moved from Quebec and came to live here in Brittany France, the wife had family here and decided to move back to be near her family. They had only lived here for 6 months and could not stand the single minded way. She was a teacher in Quebec but she could not get work as she had not trained here in France and they would rather give the work to a local even though she was French and the language was not a problem her husband was Canadian so he had no chance of working and she found the schools were not very understanding when her children did not have a great understanding of the french grammer.They hated it so much that within 8 months they had returned back to Quebec they had not realised that it was going to be as difficult as it was. So maybe as we have hardened to the way of life here Quebec might be a walk in the park

Our next move is to decide on our region in Canada then take a few trips out to really make sure we have chosen the right area for us as a family as by the time we get over the boys will be late teens so we will need easy access to a main town..

I would like to thank you for your time and your great information and will update you on our progress

Many thanks Coolbreeze2008

Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 18,615 times
Default I need Help Acajack

Hi,
I am a dad of 1 little girl and I have a wife...I am originally from Africa and I have lived in the United kingdom for 6 years so far, so good. In recent months I am thinking about moving to Canada to start up a  new life with my small family as I believe it will be better than this place, plus I will get better pay there from my estimatio n. 

The reason why I need help is because I have estim ated my score and I got 75 points, I read through  every information and the duration to process perm anent worker visa and I found out it takes ages (47 months from London office) to do this, so we (my wife and I) have decided to do the Quebec scheme of immigrating which take approximately 6 to 9 months and this is good. The problem is, we would like to live in English speaking part.

So please is it possible to get to Canada via this Quebec immigration scheme and then move to another place? and in doing so, will it affect my immigration chances latter on in Canada? please if you have ideas about this, let me know.

GOD bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada