U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM

315 posts, read 603,693 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by househuntinggal
Sorry, but I don't think you know what being racist means, you appear to be a racist (I only glean this from this one post). Canada's immigration policies are much more exclusive and it is actually harder to get into Canada than the US. To get into Canada (legally, of course) you have to have education, job skills, etc before you get there, that is the basis of granting immigration. Whereas, in US, anyone can get in if they are willing to wait in line (its a longer line for those with less education etc). So if Canada wants to admit Indians and Chinese who are educated professionals that can start working and contributing to society as soon as they arrive, so be it. And if most of the immigrants want to move to established cities that have jobs available, so be it. Maybe you should have moved to the mid-West of Canada, where there are less Indians and Chinese....but then you would probably have a problem with the high numbers of Native Peoples that live there with all the white folks! Too bad for you!

I grew up in Canada, and now have lived in the US for 5 years. My husband and I often wonder whether we will stay here. Although I have not experienced any racism here, the culture in the US is not as inclusive as what I experienced in Canada, you can see it playing out currently in the election media. There are lots of opportunities here in the US, but this country has a long way to go.

So maybe the US is the place for you afterall!!

If you aren't racist I don't know the meaning of the word. Canada accepts all immigrants, and most of these are well edcated and self supporting. You seem to resent he fact that some of the immigrants own their own businesses...it's a free country, if you feel the urge to open your own business then go ahead. From what I've witnessed most of these people are hard working and very thrifty...if they become wealthy in out country it's for these reasons. Stop complaining that you can't learn the language because of the different nationaliies. Every city offers night classes to anyone willing to attend and you can choose a language class if that's what you want or need.
My doctor is Chinese, believe it or not, she is the best doctor our family has had in a long time. If we get sick and need help we don't care what the nationality is if the service is excellent. Same for restaurants or any other business. Free enterprise...ever hear of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,200,420 times
What no one talks about it the growing number of undocumented Iraqui soldier/immigrants running from the draft and in the U.S. and entering Canada.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM

175 posts, read 1,133,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv View Post
You are unfortunately almost right but you know where you are wrong? The fact that people emmigrating to Canada have US as final destination. That's not true most of the time : I did not have this in my mind when I emmigrated to Canada but I had to do it after a couple of years because I found a Chino-India not a Canada country. Please don't get me racist, cause I'm not, I agree to let them emmigrate too, but when they become a majority (check Toronto and GTA for exp.) it's bothering. If I want them to be a majority I would emmigrate in India or China...
At least US is trying to control the percent of any race which immigrate here and they have some programms which ARE NOT ALLOWED for the above mention nations like DIversity Visas. It's not a matter of being racist, it's just a matter of how many....
Just out of curiosity, why do you HAVE TO be the majority? When the Chinese and Indians move to a new country, US, Canada, France, whatever, they are also the minority. They suck it up and work hard to improve their life. They didn't complain "how come everyone is white", did they?
"It's not a matter of being racist, it's just a matter of how many". Can you use some logic? What do you mean "how many", why not whine about "how come there are so many white people in the US, like 85%?". Are you assuming that the US and Canada are "supposed" to be white countries and other people are invading your space and it is annoying you? I am sorry, but North America didn't start as lands for Caucasians, if you can't deal with the fact the Asians are everywhere in big cities, I'd suggest you move to somewhere like North Dakota or Saskatchewan.
I guess you are just psychologically incapable of being a minority. If really everyone is Chinese or Indian in Canada, why don't start learning the languages and cultures of these countries, like those people did in North America?
Trust me, there is not a SINGLE big city in the developed world where there are not A LOT of Chinese and Indians, even if you go all the way to Stockholm, and it is just gonna increase. And you just have to deal with it.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM

175 posts, read 1,133,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
If you aren't racist I don't know the meaning of the word. Canada accepts all immigrants, and most of these are well edcated and self supporting. You seem to resent he fact that some of the immigrants own their own businesses...it's a free country, if you feel the urge to open your own business then go ahead. From what I've witnessed most of these people are hard working and very thrifty...if they become wealthy in out country it's for these reasons. Stop complaining that you can't learn the language because of the different nationaliies. Every city offers night classes to anyone willing to attend and you can choose a language class if that's what you want or need.
My doctor is Chinese, believe it or not, she is the best doctor our family has had in a long time. If we get sick and need help we don't care what the nationality is if the service is excellent. Same for restaurants or any other business. Free enterprise...ever hear of that?
Well said.
Some people are still holding the outdated view that the white should dominate the society in all aspect: business, language, culture etc so that they can feel at home and good about themselves as the "superior group" (although without saying it aloud).
If you hear Chinese spoken everywhere on the street, it only means maybe it is time for you to learn the language to remain competitive, instead of looking for a whiter place to live.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 PM

2,895 posts, read 4,995,391 times
While the discussion has wandered off the original post, and wandered into a discussion on contemporary racism, the simple answer too the original question is;

It's physically harder to get here in order to be illegal in the first place.

Canada is surrounded by three oceans and 1200 miles deep of the United States. To get here, you would have had to travel several thousand miles by sea, walked across the Arctic, or transited the entire US south to north to reach the border. Once there, you'll find a relatively homogeneous population with minimal support and minimal latino population, and a very thin population density.

It has nothing to do with racism, or quotas or anything else. To be illegal, it's simply easier to disappear in the large latino population centres of the US.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,044,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Once there, you'll find a relatively homogeneous population
You must admit, that view is a bit out of date, no? It depends on where in Canada, I suppose, but as a whole, I wouldn't call Canada's population "relatively homogenous".

The issue is that the USA and Canada see their demographics in different ways. The USA has a tendency to view their demographics (unofficially) as white, black, or Latino. Canada doesn't have this and never had this division. However, while Canada lacks the black community or the Latino community that's so prevalent in the USA, it has a different mix of communities than you'd find in the USA.

In this context I suppose we're assuming that "illegal immigrant" means migrants from Mexico. And in that case, it's true that there is a tiny Mexican population in Canada. From that perspective, it would be difficult to amalgamate into a Mexican community in Canada, as there really aren't any. However, if you were from the Phillipines, Ukraine, China, Taiwan, Pakistan, Iran, India, etc... and somehow found a way into Canada illegally, there would be a lot less difficulty blending in, as those communities flourish in Canada. Of course, you can also find these communities in the USA.

Last edited by Robynator; 10-30-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM

2,895 posts, read 4,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
You must admit, that view is a bit out of date, no? It depends on where in Canada, I suppose, but as a whole, I wouldn't call Canada's population "relatively homogenous".
I disagree.

Per Stats Canada on the last Census

Total population; 29,639,030

Total visible minorities; 3,983,845

Chinese; 1,029,395
South Asian; 917,070
Black; 662,215
Filipino; 308,575

Around 10% of the population is a visible minority, and once outside Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal or Calgary, you're hard pressed to find large population of visible minorities. Only British Columbia and Ontario have populations close to 20% visible minority. Quebec is less than 7%, so I stand by the homogeniality?? of the country. This varies dramatically from the US, which is now 1/3 non-white.

As far as the illegals, as I stated, the sheer difficulty of reaching Canada would tend to limit their numbers, not that there aren't any.

More data here http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...rt=2&B1=Counts

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/006808.html (broken link)

Last edited by mikeyyc; 10-30-2008 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 AM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Definitions of what constitutes a visible minority in Canada and a non-white in the U.S. differ, but Stats Can says visible minorities make up 16.2% of Canada's population:

2006 Census: Ethnic origin and visible minorities

Now, the original comment that sparked this debate referred to "homogeneity", and somehow this term became associated with visible minorities and non-whites here. This is in my humble opinion a fallacy, as I know many people who are visible minorities who are totally assimilated into the North American mainstream who, other than the totally superficial variable of the colour of their skin, don't in any way contribute to the diversity (or "heterogeneity") of the place where they live. Whereas, you do have places where the vast majority of people could be of the same skin colour (read = white), and yet be of vastly different cultural origins, a mix which makes them very heterogenous places.

Human diversity isn't automatically about skin colour or the shape of someone's eyes.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
From the U.S. Bureau of the Census news release quoted above:
"About 1-in-every-3 U.S. residents was part of a group other than single-race non-Hispanic white — according to national estimates by race, Hispanic origin and age released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. In 2005, the nation’s minority population totaled 98 million, or 33 percent, of the country’s total of 296.4 million."

So that means that Ricky Martin, who is a Hispanic, would be counted as someone who is a "visible minority" in the U.S.? Could someone please explain to me how Ricky Martin is more of a visible minority than, say, Norman Schwarzkopf? Or Arnold Schwarzenegger? Or Jerry Seinfeld?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So that means that Ricky Martin, who is a Hispanic, would be counted as someone who is a "visible minority" in the U.S.? Could someone please explain to me how Ricky Martin is more of a visible minority than, say, Norman Schwarzkopf? Or Arnold Schwarzenegger? Or Jerry Seinfeld?
Who is Ricky Martin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada