Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObound View Post
My husband is a civil engineer with a canadian bachelors degree, but because all his experience has been outside of Canada (despite having some prestigious experience working for the UN) he is not finding a job in the Toronto area - the main reason being "no experience in Ontario". This is rather absurd, of course, because if one can work in an international setting in a disaster zone among people with language barriers and still receive promotions... but because he has not worked in Ontario he is being turned down... that may give you some idea that it is NOT easy to get a job here.
Well, for civil engineering I might see the employers point, but I say might... They are probably looking for folks who are familiar with Ontario's building codes. Building standards and work rules being provincial jurisdiction.

That said, I wonder if they would look down on a candidate who is from BC or Alberta... Those provinces have been magnets for new Ontario Engineering Grads the past 6-7 years... MUCH better opportunities and pay for newly minted engineers in the West than Ontario. Might have something to do with the fact the West has a hard time attracting folks to move there, especially immigrants, no matter the economy (which is finally picking up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM

80 posts, read 400,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
One word, yes. At least at first... If you do not have your degree from an Canadian, Aus/NZ, Japan or EU university,\.
what about a non-profit US college?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 AM

25 posts, read 100,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post

That said, I wonder if they would look down on a candidate who is from BC or Alberta... Those provinces have been magnets for new Ontario Engineering Grads the past 6-7 years... MUCH better opportunities and pay for newly minted engineers in the West than Ontario. Might have something to do with the fact the West has a hard time attracting folks to move there, especially immigrants, no matter the economy (which is finally picking up).
I know I am very late following up on this post... however thought it might be interesting to comment. After three months of unemployment living in T.O. we(well, H) finally have a great job opportunity... guess where... out west. Of course we are originally from SK, but the past 10 years have been all over. So, hey, if they will take us back for a huge manager's salary and chance to buy out the company - who cares if the winters are a little colder We had been pretty "snobby" about moving back at first, but as time passed decided to look into jobs there after all.

I do believe that Ontario may be looking down on candidates either from the west, or with degrees from out west. So... bye-bye and no regrets from us!! I encourage others in similar situations to explore the possibility of life out west - yes, even SK which I know is considered the armpit of Canada by many - but living expenses are much less and the salaries seem to be much higher... most people I know there do a lot of traveling - lots of good deals to warmer climes in the winter.

good luck to everyone who is job searching.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:30 AM

43 posts, read 482,295 times
Hard, if you live here esp in a "bad" part of town and have to take transit; good luck. You'll find one if lucky that involves a one or two hour bus ride each way.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 AM

51 posts, read 153,966 times
It's interesting, but it's not just Ontario. I'm from Ontario but lived in BC where I got a lot of organizational and management experience under my belt. Then I took a contract in Moscow, Russia and decided to settle in Nova Scotia.

Now I'm being told I'm not qualified for any real jobs because I don't have "Nova Scotia" experience.

So now I'm looking at heading back out west, which is a shame because I love Nova Scotia. Of course, my other option is to simply immigrate to Russia, where foreign experts are courted by the government in order to kick-start the economy, and education in pretty much anything from the west is highly valued.

It's funny. I'm from a so-called first world western democracy with the supposed highest living standards in the world, yet I'm financially worse off here then I was in Russia...

Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
It's interesting, but it's not just Ontario. I'm from Ontario but lived in BC where I got a lot of organizational and management experience under my belt. Then I took a contract in Moscow, Russia and decided to settle in Nova Scotia.

Now I'm being told I'm not qualified for any real jobs because I don't have "Nova Scotia" experience.

So now I'm looking at heading back out west, which is a shame because I love Nova Scotia. Of course, my other option is to simply immigrate to Russia, where foreign experts are courted by the government in order to kick-start the economy, and education in pretty much anything from the west is highly valued.

It's funny. I'm from a so-called first world western democracy with the supposed highest living standards in the world, yet I'm financially worse off here then I was in Russia...
Isn't "Nova Scotia Experience" or "Ontario Experience" just HR speak for "not the right fit?" Trust me, here in Alberta there are a few companies that can afford to be picky and they use a similar reason... The Blue Chip Calgary firms (you know who I'm referring to if you work downtown) are the type that ask interviewees who their father is and such...

The beauty though of the West is that most employers will take you on, no matter where you are from... They can't afford to be picky. There is a perpetual skilled worker shortage here...

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM

41 posts, read 92,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouskiwi View Post
I'm 25 fem and currently working as an Executive assistant in NZ. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree.

I'm thinking of going to Canada on the Working holiday programme (12months open work permit). How difficult will it be to find a job..
in Toronto? and in Vancouver?

How expensive is it to live in Toronto? or Vancouver? Which city would you recommend?
The main problem with you is that your degree is equivalent to silver lined toilet paper. Its utterly worthless and useless. Canada has a shortage of skilled workers and a shortage of innovative talent. There is tens of thousand of drones with bachelor of arts degrees, and they are having a VERY hard time getting any work over $15/hr. If you want to come to Canada to flip burgers then it is a smart move. I am not being offensive just trying to give you the TRUTH.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
The main problem with you is that your degree is equivalent to silver lined toilet paper. Its utterly worthless and useless. Canada has a shortage of skilled workers and a shortage of innovative talent. There is tens of thousand of drones with bachelor of arts degrees, and they are having a VERY hard time getting any work over $15/hr. If you want to come to Canada to flip burgers then it is a smart move. I am not being offensive just trying to give you the TRUTH.
Well said, but even for innovative folks don't expect a ready made career to fall into... Innovation in Canada usually includes some form of business decision as well.

Trades people seem to have the easiest go at it job search wise in Canada. This is a country that is still mostly wilderness, only has a few big cities and is growing... We need more folks who can help the country grow.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
What about those working in polymer chemistry-related areas?(e.g. cosmetics, pharmaceutical, etc.)

I am considering a move from AU to Canada, as the COL here is hitting through the roof and seems like I will be struggling to own even a studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada