Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

First of all, any suggestion and comment will be highly appreciated! =)

Anyway, i am currently studying my 1st semester of MBA course at UTS (sydney) and am thinking to move to canada permanently.
One of my friends suggested me to go to Kamloops and continue my study at Thompson River Uni as it will be the easier way to get a job there and make a living in Canada permanently.

Though, I still have something in my mind regarding this plan and I hope you can help me out with following issues :
1. Is TRU a well recognized university (in terms of employment) ?
2. Can I make a good living with a MBA in Canada ?
3. Is Kamloops a safe city for student ? (as I will mostly use public transport and walk)
4. Will i find it hard to find a part time job to cover my living expenses ?

I am sorry for the long question. I fee a bit worry as this decision will affect the rest of my life.

Thanx in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 02:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,224 times
Moving from Sydney to Kamloops would be like somebody from New York moving to Alice Springs.

Photo of Kamloops: Image:Kamloops.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Photo of Alice Springs: Image:Alice Springs Australia.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, so Kamloops is not nearly as isolated or as tiny as Alice Springs. It's a small city located in a dry, semi-arid part of Canada and is not particularly known as being the most exciting place to live. Safety would not at all be my concern!

I know very little about the Thompson River University, so do take my advice with a grain of salt. From the looks of it, it looks like it was a former community college that was granted university status three years ago. As a name, outside of Kamloops it will not be as recognized as some other Canadian universities such as the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, University of Toronto, etc, and I would not know if it would prohibit you in any way of obtaining a job. However, I don't see how moving to Kamloops would in any way make it easier for you to move to Canada permanently. You'd still have to go jump through the same hoops and you'd have to deal with the same kind of red tape that those studying in major Canadian cities would have to go through.

Certainly, as an immigrant with permanent resident status, there would be less job competition in Kamloops than say Vancouver or Toronto, however, there would also be much less career choices. Kamloops has a population of just over 80,000. But you won't be able to secure a job until you have a work visa... and it's getting that will be the difficult part. Perhaps your friend was thinking that you might be able to befriend some companies out in Kamloops to the point where they could sponsor you for a work visa. That is a possibility, but that's also a possibility anywhere in Canada.

Edit: Now that I remember, a former colleague of mine went to TRU to do her undergrad and she quite enjoyed it because it was a small school in a small city so you tend to know absolutely everyone. However, I don't know if she had a car or not. Outside of major cities in Canada, public transit, if it exists at all, tends to be quite limited. That colleague is now doing her masters at a major university out in Ontario.

Last edited by Robynator; 10-25-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,712 times
Thank you for the informative reply, Robinator!

Maybe I need to clarify something about going to Kamloops would make me easier to obtain permanent resident status. Let me change this misleading statement to : By graduating from Canadian university would make easier to obtain permanent resident status and to secure a job as well compared to obtaining them after my graduation in Australia. The only obstacle for me to go to major university (UBC, Simon Fraser, etc) is my working experience, which is less than 2 years.
However, the recognition of TRU outside Kamloops is now a major drawback for me as I plan to explore a greater career opportunity in major cities.
Speaking about work permit, If my course's length is more than 8 months, I will be eligible for a work permit (same as my study length at max), right ?

I also found some other universities that would accept me as their MBA students regardless my less than 2 years working experience. Those unis are Vancouver Island Uni (Nanaimo) and Uni of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon). Maybe now I have to put more emphasize on these 2 unis rather than TRU.

Last edited by jsparrow1689; 10-25-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada