Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You dont want to give the questioning agent the idea that you will be a vagrant or you just dont know where you are going or how long you'll be, he may think you are up to no good.,border agents like specific answers to specific questions,trying to be a wise guy will probably result in your denial of entry which creates all kinds of problems for you the next time you try entering the country.
Not going to suggest you lie to the border agent but even a loose play it by ear type of trip i'm sure you can come up with some solid destinations and times you'll be there.
Okay thanks. I'll just say I'm going to Toronto for a few days and then I'll make sure I go to Toronto for a few days.

Do they follow up? I mean, say you tell them you'll be in Canada for a week, and if you aren't back at the border in a week, do they start wondering where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Quote:
Turn off your engine once you get to the customs booth
The agent is going to ask you for passport.
Nationality?
where were you born?
Where do you live?
Where do you work?
How long have you worked there?
Where are you going?
Purpose of visit?
How long will you be there?
Are you the owner of the car?
How much money are you bringing?
Do you have any Alcohol,Tobacco or fire arms in the car?
Have you ever been arrested?
Have you ever been denied entry into Canada?

At this point he may ask you several of the questions again just to see if you are consistent on your answers, be aware these agents are well versed in body language. never break eye contact when answering questions!! and absolutely no humor.
Then its either =
Here are your papers,have a nice trip
or
pull over to the inspection area and get prepared for a more thorough interrogation.
Be aware normal legal procedures are not necessarily in play at the border as the agent can deny you entry with nothing more than his suspicion that your story is being contrived or is inaccurate in some way,or you are just pissing him off in some way..
And if you've had previous problems with the law you may want to have a plan B as you will almost surely be denied entry.

This is the usual procedure for entry into either country USA or Canada and for those that are a bit compulsive about personal freedoms and intrusive governments you arent going to like the invasive experience but just keep your mouth shut and opinions to yourself as getting on the wrong side of these border agents is a no win situation for you as they are well versed in dealing with wise guys.
Wow, thanks for the awesome response! Border Patrol sounds like no joke. Sounds kind of intense. More than likely when I go I'll be going to a Raptors game. I'll be sure to show him my tickets and hotel reservations, so that should definitely prove what I'm there for lol.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Okay thanks. I'll just say I'm going to Toronto for a few days and then I'll make sure I go to Toronto for a few days.

Do they follow up? I mean, say you tell them you'll be in Canada for a week, and if you aren't back at the border in a week, do they start wondering where you are?
Absolutely not. If you were to stay for the next 50 years they would never know it unless you had some interaction with the authorities somehow.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Once across the border Canada is such a large and diverse country i wouldnt be surprised if your plans changed
They wont start wondering where you are but if you drove across in a car they could tell you when the car came into the country,who was in the car at the time and who was in the car when it recrossed the border.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Once across the border Canada is such a large and diverse country i wouldnt be surprised if your plans changed
They wont start wondering where you are but if you drove across in a car they could tell you when the car came into the country,who was in the car at the time and who was in the car when it recrossed the border.
Although my grand parents come from Canada, sounds like the last time i was there in 1972 will be the last time i will be seen in Canada.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Although my grand parents come from Canada, sounds like the last time i was there in 1972 will be the last time i will be seen in Canada.
At the risk of opening a can of worms.
Any particular reason why you are dispelling any notion of never taking a vacation to Canada?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
I've been across a dozen different borders, including that of the People's Republic of China, and the Canadian crossing at Niagara Falls was by far the most stressful and annoying crossing out of them all. Of course, this was the first one I drove across.

I went up to Toronto last week and had a great time once I was clear of the border. I made the mistake of carrying a knife (and admitting it) in my car's cabin and after showing it to the officer his eyes bugged out and asked me why I carried it. Apparently it is illegal to carry a 4 inch knife anywhere but your trunk and the guard told me to pull under an awning to the side. 2 agents searched every nook and cranny of my car and my bags as I watched. Suddenly I remembered that I had a mini bottle of liquor in my backpack that I forgot to declare back at the gate! I thought "oh great they're going deny me entry for lying". Well, they didn't say anything and I wasn't about to suspiciously check up on them so I just acted cool. They finished up and just told me to go inside for questioning. To me this sounded like I was going to be interrogated in some dark cell with a 2 way mirror but I just waited in line with some other unfortunate people for about 45 min until another officer at the desk asked me basically the same standard questions. I'm sure they looked for me on their databases as I waited. Surprisingly I was then told I was free to go and I went out to my car to check on my liquor bottle. They had taken it out of my backpack and it was just leaning against it lol. Either they were unaware I said I didn't have alcohol/tobacco back at the gate or they have a sense of humor. I find neither very likely.

Was it my own fault for not being familiar with Canadian laws? Absolutely. While it certainly was annoying being held up an hour (just long enough to be caught by the rain walking along the Canadian side of the), I seemed to have gotten off pretty easily compared to some accounts!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
The US crossing at Niagara was chill as hell, with lack of a better term. I traveled via Greyhound and when I was checked, they asked me 2 questions; why are you coming to the US, and how long you'll be staying. No lie I was in and out in about 2 minutes.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
I hate the secondary screenings on both sides, particulary the US, for many reasons, however, the main reason why I hate it is temporarily, you're indirectly, under arrest, if you really think about it?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
[quote=beenhereandthere;15598532]I hate the secondary screenings on both sides, particulary the US, for many reasons, however, the main reason why I hate it is temporarily, you're indirectly, under arrest, if you really think about it?[/quoUnfortunitely that's what happens when you go to a foreign country. This thread is kinda silly in my mind. If you don't have anything to hide crossing the border is really no sweat either way. These folks just have a job to do and harrassing innocent folks just isn't a part of it. On the other hand if you do have something to hide it could be as real hassle for you. So if you'r concerned just make sure all your ducks are in order and than go ahead. If you know you'r illegal for whatever reason than don't cross the border. It's very simple really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada