Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times

Advertisements

Dont be too hard on these border agents as they have a big responsibility for protecting a country.
Take all the time you need and inconvenience me if you feel the need is my attitude

Last edited by jambo101; 08-24-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,487,181 times
Yep, I agree. If it keeps even one terrorist or criminal out of our country, then take your time and do your job.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,246,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Dont be too hard on these border agents as they have a big responsibility for protecting a country.
Take all the time you need and inconvenience me if you feel the need is my attitude
I agree - I feel the same way about people whining about the "violation of privacy" with the new body scanners in airports. I could care less if they see all my assets - to me it is a fair trade-off if it helps them catch the lunatic trying to board a flight with a bomb strapped to his underwear!!! Scan away baby!!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,621,787 times
I don't think anyone objects to stringent border checks to try to intercept terrorists, bombers, etc.

What surprised me was that a 30 year old traffic offense can render one inadmissable to Canada. I think that's the OP's point...

Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,198,909 times
Traffic offences can't. Criminal charges can and do. Impared driving is not equivalent to speeding.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times
No problem with being subjected to strict checks aimed at weeding out the bad guys. I just wish they spent more attention on that and less on determining whether the shiny sneakers my daughter is wearing on her feet are not worn enough and suggest that we actually bought them in Syracuse instead of her wearing them when we first crossed into the States...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 18,571 times
Default you are so right

just the other day - in fact it was my birthday - my husband and I were crossing the Vermont border to go to Montreal. We live 7 miles from the border and in the 12 years we have lived here we have been to Canada dozens and dozens of times. Our dentist is in Canada as well. Nothing eventful.

Until...................

I have a 30 year old arrest. One time only. 30 years for shoplifting.

Well lo and behold they found it just the other day (1981) and put me through the wringer. Ruined my birthday of course. I had no idea that after all this tiime this would happens. It did.

They let us go but beware what I have since learned.

Once they discover anything and I mean ANYTHING, no matter how distant the offense was, you have no rights at all. They can and will refuse entry. I am told even people with expensive and time consuming pardons are still denied.

It is a one crime fits all. Very disturbing situation.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,361,261 times
Please understand though that this has all come about because of 9/11 and the push by Homeland Security to have Canadian authorities 'prove' we take border security seriously.

Your country has always had a 'prior criminal record refusal' facility in place with many folks up here denied entry for being arrested while taking part of a protest or juvenile crime activity. A friend in his sixties still presents his "pink" card that ascertains his application and acceptance for the "deemed rehabilitated" designation from a juvenile offence when he was 16 years old. He still undergoes the "inside the building and over the counter scrutiny" each and every time he crosses into the U.S.

The situation becomes even worse if you have had a conviction for DUI, which is considered a "felony" conviction in Canada while a misdemeanor down south. If you have this but answer "no" to the "any arrests or convictions" question YOU'VE LIED, unwittingly perhaps, but in the eyes of the agent you're one strike down and that's all some of them will tolerate.

It's not just a Canadian thing but works the same both sides.

Last edited by BruSan; 06-13-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,361,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No problem with being subjected to strict checks aimed at weeding out the bad guys. I just wish they spent more attention on that and less on determining whether the shiny sneakers my daughter is wearing on her feet are not worn enough and suggest that we actually bought them in Syracuse instead of her wearing them when we first crossed into the States...
This was (perhaps still is) the singular and most repugnant "mission statement" behind Canadian Border Services for untold years; that of making sure all the applicable tax revenue was paid by us sneaky Canadian citizens returning form a shopping jaunt across the border.

Many of us still bristle at memories of those times we were treated as "guilty" of smuggling with the onus of proof of innocence on our part.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 18,571 times
Default Border crossing

Border patrol guards have access to NCIC (National crime......) and once they discover anything misdemeanor or felony, it is downloaded onto your file.

So if they check - you are now in deep crap.

I too believe multiple offenses, violent crimes, convictions and imprisonment should be taken much more seriously. But a one time misdemeanor should not be treated the same as above. But as I said one crime fits all.

best,
s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada