Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times

Advertisements

[quote=car54;8995874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
We just returned from Canada yesterday after a 4-day vacation and crossing the border was so easy, posts here had really scared me.

Crossing into Canada (Peace bridge), we were asked only 3 questions:
1. Are you US or Canadian citizens?
2. Whats the purpose of your trip
3. How many days will you stay and where?
The guard didn't even ask for our IDs/Passports (he did see that we had them ready in hand) and waved us through. No data checking, nothing .... I was amazed.

Well, then maybe it's worth a try? The border is only about 400 miles from here....and if they say no, Maine is nice in July.

I'm still amazed at this "banned for life" policy over long ago traffic offenses. Is it retaliation for asinine American policies....lumber disputes and the like? If so, I can somewhat understand it. If not, it's just plain draconian....and maybe my admiration for Canadians has been misplaced...

Is it reciprocal? Is a Canadian with a DUI banned for life from entering the US?

I was watching COPS the other night and this young Canadian guy got arrested for being drunk and silly at Mardi Gras. Is he forever banned from visiting the US again? I hope not!

Where do you get the idea that you're banned for life?

Most countries have policies restricting the entry of those with criminal histories.

Many countries also have provisions where a person with a criminal history may apply for a waiver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'm still amazed at this "banned for life" policy over long ago traffic offenses. Is it retaliation for asinine American policies....lumber disputes and the like? If so, I can somewhat understand it. If not, it's just plain draconian....and maybe my admiration for Canadians has been misplaced...
Just for clarification purposes, it's not run-of-the-mill traffic offenses that they're worried about. They're worried about the criminal charges that stem from certain traffic offenses (DUI, reckless driving causing bodily harm, and the like). And, as has been said already, most countries have policies like this, and they're not necessarily "retaliatory".

Quote:
Is it reciprocal? Is a Canadian with a DUI banned for life from entering the US?
Yes and no. Unfortunately, I can tell you from the experience of someone very close to me that a DUI can definitely put a damper in your plans to visit the US if you are a Canadian. And, I'm talking about DUIs that occurred 20 years ago.

The US has a waiver policy, where, for the bargain price of $500, your full criminal history, some fingerprints and about 8-10 months of waiting, you can get a 5 year waiver, with your record checked by Homeland Security every 6 months.

If, during the time of your waiver, you don't toe the line, you can kiss your privilege of visiting the US goodbye.

And, to repeat, they're looking for criminal offenses, not ordinary traffic ones.

Quote:
I was watching COPS the other night and this young Canadian guy got arrested for being drunk and silly at Mardi Gras. Is he forever banned from visiting the US again? I hope not!
Unless he was convicted of anything (which is doubtful), he'll be fine.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
As with most things when dealing with petty Government burecrats, on both sides of the border; Don't lie.

The minute you aren't honest, and they know, because the have access to both criminal record data bases, they will do what petty people do, and punish you for it.

Customs/Immigration Officers have a HUGE amount of discretion, and can make your life miserable or make your day, all depending on the moment and how you treat them. So just put on your best attitude and go forth.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,390 times
[quote=car54;8995874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
We just returned from I was watching COPS the other night and this young Canadian guy got arrested for being drunk and silly at Mardi Gras. Is he forever banned from visiting the US again? I hope not!
Was he driving? Being drunk and silly at Mardi Gras is a minor item. DUI places other peoples lives at risk and it is a _very_ serious charge up here.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yes and no. Unfortunately, I can tell you from the experience of someone very close to me that a DUI can definitely put a damper in your plans to visit the US if you are a Canadian. And, I'm talking about DUIs that occurred 20 years ago.

The US has a waiver policy, where, for the bargain price of $500, your full criminal history, some fingerprints and about 8-10 months of waiting, you can get a 5 year waiver, with your record checked by Homeland Security every 6 months.

If, during the time of your waiver, you don't toe the line, you can kiss your privilege of visiting the US goodbye.

Well, then I guess Canada's "Approval of Rehabilition" is a bargain at only $200. It still seems like a shakedown to me. But the 200 bucks wouldn't be a deal breaker....I just wish you could pay at the border and skip the onerous application process.

I guess I just don't understand why one would have to apply for "approval" of something that is self-evident in my criminal record....that I have not re-offended in the ensuing 27 years.

I will still apply for my "Approval", but I guess a Canadian vacation this Summer is out of the question. I looked at the form and there is information required that I may have some difficulty obtaining, like exact conviction date, statute number under which I was charged, my address in 1971, etc. And I'm quite sure any discrepancies caused by lapses of memory of events that occurred decades ago would result in rejection of my application.

Say, my second vacation destination is Ireland....does anyone know if they have similar requirements to enter the Country?

Thanks for everyone's input!

PS: I fully realize the seriousness of driving after drinking....but a simple (no accident) DUI in Virginia is a misdemeanor NOT a felony. I was tried in TRAFFIC Court. If I had injured someone and been tried in Circuit Court of felony DUI....I would be much more accepting of the moniker "criminal"! In fact, had I been charged with DUI just a few months earlier, it would have been reduced to reckless driving upon completion of the alcohol safety priogram.

Last edited by car54; 05-27-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Well, then I guess Canada's "Approval of Rehabilition" is a bargain at only $200. It still seems like a shakedown to me. But the 200 bucks wouldn't be a deal breaker....I just wish you could pay at the border and skip the onerous application process.
That's the breaker there. It took my bf 8 months to get his waiver from US Homeland Security, and I would suppose that the equivalent on the Canadian side isn't that much shorter, time wise.

Quote:
PS: I fully realize the seriousness of driving after drinking....but a simple (no accident) DUI in Virginia is a misdemeanor NOT a felony. I was tried in TRAFFIC Court. If I had injured someone and been tried in Circuit Court of felony DUI....I would be much more accepting of the moniker "criminal"! In fact, had I been charged with DUI just a few months earlier, it would have been reduced to reckless driving upon completion of the alcohol safety priogram.
That's the kicker. DUI is DUI. Unfortunately, that tag sticks with you for a LONG time. This past week, I was at a DUI trial in municipal court in the Vancouver area. Though there was a chance at jail time, it wouldn't have been anything that would be considered a "felony" in the US. However, that tag of "DUI conviction" would have ruined any plans for a visit to the US, regardless of the amount of potential time in jail.

Fortunately, there was a plea to an offense under the Motor Vehicle Act, so there should be no problems at the border.

I would say get your application in now, with as much information as you have. Best of luck. I know it's a royal pain in the butt to still have to pay for what you did in a past lifetime.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,390 times
Quote:
Say, my second vacation destination is Ireland....does anyone know if they have similar requirements to enter the Country?
Perhaps not. You would likely need to obtain an international driver's license to operate a vehicle in Ireland while Canadian and American licenses are directly transferable. So Ireland could let you into their country with a previous DUI conviction and know that you would be staying off their roads. Canada (and/or the US) cannot be so sure.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM

16 posts, read 63,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezx View Post
These days nazi border guards have full access to US and CA criminal data bases and will bust you in a second.
I think it's about *time* and I for one, am very very grateful for this information. With the rise of dangerous gangs like MS-13 and other criminals who are seeking to infiltrate Canada and the U.S., it's nice to know that those "nazi" guards are doing their utmost to keep criminals out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have heard that, at many places in the middle of nowhere, they only have an agent on duty in the day. At night and on weekends you simply stop, fill out a short form and drop it into a box at the post and drive over the border! I really would rather we not even have a border with Canada but I would really like to see a program where we could simply swipe our passports and drive on through

I hope something like that *never* happens! Oh how so much more easier it would become for gangs and criminals to slip through. Yes, it's a *pain* for the honest citizen to have to be checked each time, but it's well worth the aggravation.

Everyone traveling nowadays has no choice but to go through strict customs inspections, I don't know that so many people complain about it. If it helps to keep the country safer, I'm all for it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I also have been through countless times and can say that even today, this is not 100% true. You have had a hard time, don't assume everybody with anything on their record will be deemed unfit for entry.

I used to live 6 1/2 miles from a border crossing and having friends in Canada number almost the same as the US, I went over at LEAST 2 times a week, sometimes almost every day. Always stopped and questioned about my record in Canada, but NEVER refused admittance (Not counting the one time they deported me ). I lived there until 4 months ago, and made crossings up until the day I moved.

General Advice for anybody traveling: If there is any question about your eligibility to cross into Canada, you should always check with Canadian Customs BEFORE you show up at their "doorstep" with big plans. That goes for any foreign country you want to visit. Honesty and attitude are key. Sound shady or like you are trying to hide something, or act condescending and mouthy to border guards and guess what; not even the Pope will get through with most of them.

Hi! I'm in the same situation....Living in Buffalo, but cross over into Canada a few times a week, if not almost every day.... Is it possible for them to deny you access to Canada? And if that happens, do you know how long you have to wait to go back? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachj View Post
Extortion, outwresting, or exaction is a criminal offense, which occurs, when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion.

I do not have a dui conviction. I have charges for poss of marijuana (which BC considers a minor offense) and driving without license. The guy before me had a DUI and I am aware that Canada considers it a major offense.

What would you call charging 200 bucks to process some crap form?? They already had my criminal record there when they were asking me all their questions. I can see a reasonable fee for a temporary permit, but 200 dollars is downright unlawful. For 200 dollars I could have my driving record, criminal history, full background check, and credit report, hell I could even hire a secretary to prepare all these.

If you look at the facts as an open-minded person, not some sheep crossing there because the shepherd told you to, you'll see that, as someone else said they aren't trying to protect you from "terrorists", (look at Mexico's border) they are trying to get more money. You know the saying "crap rolls downhill" meaning all the "good citizens" who have spotless records will never have to worry, but those of us who got dirty growing up will pay the 200 toll or go home.

STAY AWAY FROM CANADA--UNLESS A 200 DOLLAR TOLL ROAD SOUNDS GOOD
well, I think it's fair...if you did wrong and someone else didn't...why should you be treated the same way as them? I have a clean record...if my friend doesn't, then I wouldn't expect her to receive the treatment I would get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada