U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times

Advertisements

I once returned to Canada from a trip to Colombia, and I had some Colombian coins in my pociet. One coin, worth about 4 cents, was so close to a Canadian quarter, that it worked in a Canadian vending machine. Several rolls of those could really cut down on laundry expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 PM

312 posts, read 968,792 times
I see American pennies in my change a lot.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM

11,022 posts, read 21,608,506 times
I saw Canadian coins a few times growing up in Iowa. Maybe three times in 20 years. After the past 7 years in Chicago though, I've never once seen a Canadian coin.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:22 PM

482 posts, read 2,117,324 times
Here in Calgary I do occasionally receive American Pennies as change. Funny thing though, in the last year I have received an East Caribbean Quarter as change and even a Hong Kong coin in my change. Does that happen in the US?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

59 posts, read 124,602 times
As a clerk in a Canadian store, close to Massena, I can say we are asked to treat all US coins the same as our own; even if it is rolled. This has been the norm for years.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 AM

6,564 posts, read 11,902,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Here in Calgary I do occasionally receive American Pennies as change. Funny thing though, in the last year I have received an East Caribbean Quarter as change and even a Hong Kong coin in my change. Does that happen in the US?
Almost never in my experience. Most foreign coins jump out at us like they were made of stainless steel. The Canadian coins don't stand out, for the obvious reason. A loonie or toonie would, of course, but I've never gotten one in change here.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 PM

725 posts, read 1,778,474 times
Speaking on the subject of change, does anyone know why American vending machines dont take Canadian coins ?
This happened to me on 3 different machines !!!

I was in Canada last August and I came back with lots of Canadian coins.
When I came back here to the US, I tried to use it in the vending machine and it kept coming back out.
I was pissed off one day. Because I had nothing but Canadian coins in my pocket and I couldn't buy anything.

Whereas when I was in Canada, the Canadian vending machines accepted my American coins with no problem.
Why is that ?

In the meantime, I've saved my coins for the next time I visit Canada.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,624,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
It's just a fun question I wanted to ask you guys. When I take my coin jars to the bank, in order to convert them into paper bills, they usually find about 4 or 5 Canadian coins among them. Sometimes I find them in my change when I go to the store, although not that often. Dimes and pennies are definitely the most popular, followed by nickels.

So my question for you guys is, how often does this happen to you with American coins?
If you travel to Canada alot or you live by the border, you will have lots and lots of Canadian change about the house. Some of it is enough like American money that you can pass it off to unsuspecting cashiers at Wal*Mart but if it is loonies or toonies, you have to hold onto it for the next trip.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:51 PM

13,730 posts, read 22,881,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Speaking on the subject of change, does anyone know why American vending machines dont take Canadian coins ?
This happened to me on 3 different machines !!!

I was in Canada last August and I came back with lots of Canadian coins.
When I came back here to the US, I tried to use it in the vending machine and it kept coming back out.
I was pissed off one day. Because I had nothing but Canadian coins in my pocket and I couldn't buy anything.

Whereas when I was in Canada, the Canadian vending machines accepted my American coins with no problem.
Why is that ?
For most of the past ten years, the Canadian dollar was worth 0.70-0.80 US. When I ran a vending business in the Detroit area, we purchased changers that would NOT accept Canadian coins. Why should I give Canadians a 20-30% discount on my product?

Now if the shoe was on the other foot and the Canadian dollar was worth more, I would be happy to flip the switch and accept the Canadian coinage.

There is just a small switch on the side of the changer that determine whether Canadian coinage is accepted.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 AM

6,564 posts, read 11,902,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
For most of the past ten years, the Canadian dollar was worth 0.70-0.80 US. When I ran a vending business in the Detroit area, we purchased changers that would NOT accept Canadian coins. Why should I give Canadians a 20-30% discount on my product?
And I can remember when the $C was even lower. I completely understand businesses not taking currency or coin at face value when it doesn't have that value at the time. I'd think it would be the same north of the 49th: if $C1.00 equaled $US1.40, I am not thinking that Canadians would be taking $US on a 1:1 basis. No businessperson with sense would do that. Nor would it be prejudice against either nationality; for example, nothing would stop Canadians from heading over to Detroit from Windsor, getting a pile of US coins at the going rate, and bringing them home for an immediate deep discount.

The only reason it even arises is that the coins are the same size up to 25c. (They weren't always. Canada used large pennies far later than we discontinued them in the US, and I remember some WWI-era Canadian half dimes that were teeny tiny little things not much bigger than our old 3c silver and nickel pieces from the mid-1800s.) I'm betting that if they were different sizes, none of this would arise. But since they look pretty similar at a glance in change, and the currencies have the same noun, people have this mental assumption that they should have similar value. That's just not realistic. Just because the $HK and $Au are also called dollars doesn't mean they should be equal in value to the $C or $US, and there's no reason for it to be any different between Canadian and US money. People are just mentally lazy and assumptive.

But it did really annoy me when businesses would expect me to take Canadian change, but act like I was being mean if I passed it on them. And any banker with any sense receiving a deposit of $90 or so in coins, one penny of which is Canadian, is stupid to make an issue of that penny. Anyone who rolls and deposits coins is probably a fairly thrifty person likely to be good business for the bank: unlikely to bounce checks, very likely to maintain savings. Another good business principle: know which hill to take a stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or