U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 12:38 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,568,799 times

Advertisements

Digging up a thread about quarters from almost 7 years ago?

The mind boggles.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 12:43 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,235,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Digging up a thread about quarters from almost 7 years ago?

The mind boggles.
Well, now that it's back, I usually (and only on occasion) only find American dimes in a mix of change. I know this phenomenon well because the public bus change machine won't accept them, which can be frustrating when you get a douchebag driver who is way too 'by the book'.

Also, I find it constantly funny that Sudbury has a machine that actually counts change on public transit, while Toronto just gets a glass bucket. You can easily enough just dump any woefully insufficient amount of money into it and get a cheap ride.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,568,799 times
For the subway? Oh for sure.

Unless you mean the streetcar? I never take it so dunno about that payment. I'd rather walk.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:34 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,593,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You must not be tracking the same exchange rates that I am. The US dollar has been growing stronger and the Canadian dollar has been hovering around $0.80 US since October 2008.

The temporary spike toward par last year was more a function of the commodity bubble (now burst) than any economic reality.

Your post reminds me of some of the folks in Australia last summer who were planning a trip to the US this past January. When the Aussie dollar was at a recent high, I encouraged them to buy US dollars. They laughed and said that they were waiting for the US dollar to drop like a peso. When their currency dropped 50% before their trip, they had to shorten their holiday.
CAD was very near/at/just over par from late 2007 until mid 2014, save a quick dip in 2008 into mid 2009 during the crisis. I exchange money about once a month - I watch these rates obsessively.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:08 PM

12,921 posts, read 6,483,120 times
I remember being in Toronto and receiving some American change back once or twice. On the other hand, I'm sure the probability of receiving Canadian coinage here in the US depends a lot on your proximity to the border, and perhaps major interstate highways, too, particularly those favored by Canadian tourists and snowbirds.

Canadians traveling through my area are not too common (and are significantly more likely to be from Quebec than Ontario, which makes sense). This is too far east for most people from Ontario to be passing through en route to Florida, or whatever. Some Quebecers are fond of the Jersey Shore, though. Anyway, regardless, in my experience, it is very rare to encounter Canadian coinage around here. I received a Canadian penny (an old one - interestingly, from 1962) within the last year, but nothing else, to my knowledge, and I can't remember the last time before that.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,367,328 times
Often... though with the exchange rate difference not often enough !
When I accidentally got some peso instead of a few toonies I was pissed!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or