U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 AM

970 posts, read 3,088,109 times

Advertisements

It's just a fun question I wanted to ask you guys. When I take my coin jars to the bank, in order to convert them into paper bills, they usually find about 4 or 5 Canadian coins among them. Sometimes I find them in my change when I go to the store, although not that often. Dimes and pennies are definitely the most popular, followed by nickels.

So my question for you guys is, how often does this happen to you with American coins?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 AM

170 posts, read 823,039 times
All the time but then I live close to the border. I've probably seen more US Sacagawea dollar coins than the average US citizen.

Canadians have always accepted US coin although most of the time in my experience it hasn't been reciprocated. I was once in L.A. buying some clothes and I mistakenly gave a Canadian penny to the clerk and she created a huge scene. For a penny. I walked away without the purchase. She lost a rather large sale.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 AM

6,564 posts, read 11,799,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
All the time but then I live close to the border. I've probably seen more US Sacagawea dollar coins than the average US citizen.

Canadians have always accepted US coin although most of the time in my experience it hasn't been reciprocated. I was once in L.A. buying some clothes and I mistakenly gave a Canadian penny to the clerk and she created a huge scene. For a penny. I walked away without the purchase. She lost a rather large sale.
This began, I believe, in the early and mid-1980s in the US. I remember it well because clerks started snippily handing back a penny and saying, "We don't take Canadian." I had times when I brought in ten rolls of pennies to deposit in my bank. They broke the rolls and fed them all into a change counter. And out of 500 coins, they brought back one single Canadian penny and said they wouldn't take it.

Irony: everyone, especially the businesses, was trying to pass the Canadian coins. And if you handled it the way they did, they acted hard done by! When this started, I decided that if that's how it was, I didn't take Canadian either, so I started aggressively searching the change handed to me and rejecting the Canadian ones. Easy habit for me as a coin collector. And it was amazing. The clerks--the same ones who would snottily have rejected my Canadian penny--acted like I was being incredibly cheap for not taking a Canadian dime.

Think of me as a Customs Canada border guard, acting in reaction to US Customs and the whole Department of Vaterland Security business.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM

20,415 posts, read 25,348,020 times
I get them all the time. In local stores U.S. coins seem to be used interchangeably with American ones where I live (in Québec about 100 km north of Ogdensburg, NY).

I just checked my wallet and there were a few U.S. coins mixed in there with the Canadian ones. This is pretty much always the case, although there could be slightly more or less U.S. coins depending on when my last visit to the States was.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM

7,713 posts, read 10,212,338 times
Canadian's generally aren't all that anal retentive about US coins, as for a generation, the US $ has been valued higher than the CAD. You picked them out so that you could use them on your next trip to the States, and not have to pay exchange, or kept them as a novelty.

Americans and Canadian coins? Well they're foreign, so they're probably illegal, or support terrorism, or aren't as good as the Greatest Coins In The World, or inferior in some way.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:08 AM

970 posts, read 3,088,109 times
I surprised Canadian businesses are lenient with American coins, b/c that's not the case here. I mentioned that I take my spare change to the bank. The money is poured into the machine and anything that isn't an American coin is screened out. This is when I find the Canadian coins; I save them as souvenirs.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Americans and Canadian coins? Well they're foreign, so they're probably illegal, or support terrorism, or aren't as good as the Greatest Coins In The World, or inferior in some way.
Actually, the motivation was the exchange rate. No one thought much of it until your dollar got down to about US$0.65. When I was a child, the $C was actually worth more than the $US--I remember a visit in BC in about 1971 when US$1 was worth about C$0.95. But when the exchange rate got that badly skewed, as I recall, that was the factor. It had nothing to do with delusions of national grandeur or superiority, nor with paranoia; it had everything to do with a much more deeply American quality, which is profit motive. It's been this way since I was a late teenager.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 AM

7,713 posts, read 10,212,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Actually, the motivation was the exchange rate. No one thought much of it until your dollar got down to about US$0.65. When I was a child, the $C was actually worth more than the $US--I remember a visit in BC in about 1971 when US$1 was worth about C$0.95. But when the exchange rate got that badly skewed, as I recall, that was the factor. It had nothing to do with delusions of national grandeur or superiority, nor with paranoia; it had everything to do with a much more deeply American quality, which is profit motive. It's been this way since I was a late teenager.
I alluded to that in the first paragraph, but the second was clearly tongue in cheek, hence the smiley.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I alluded to that in the first paragraph, but the second was clearly tongue in cheek, hence the smiley.
Not quite clearly. The smiley didn't necessarily imply that; plenty of people might say that and be using the smiley to say 'and I think it's funny' rather than 'I'm not serious.' And in any case, they are flung around so wildly one sometimes tunes them out; some people suppress them entirely.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM

741 posts, read 2,488,171 times
When living and growing up there it happened all the time, down here of course you will rarely ever see them obviously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or