Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 PM

51 posts, read 152,632 times

Advertisements

Howdy you all!

Not sure if anyone on here can help me out but thought I'd give it a shot. My significant other is wanting to move from Calgary, AB to the US (Oklahoma to be exact). Not married, or engadged, but wondering what routes are possible.Do they have to have a job transfer or be sponsered in order to move to the US or can they get a work visa and find employment once they move? They would be working in the farm sector, trains and cares for horses, not sure if thats under NAFTA, probably not. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any information of the avenues that can be taken.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 PM

114 posts, read 418,227 times
You can research this here.
United States Immigration: Green Card, Visas and U.S. Citizenship

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM

482 posts, read 2,411,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleOkie View Post
Howdy you all!

Not sure if anyone on here can help me out but thought I'd give it a shot. My significant other is wanting to move from Calgary, AB to the US (Oklahoma to be exact). Not married, or engadged, but wondering what routes are possible.Do they have to have a job transfer or be sponsered in order to move to the US or can they get a work visa and find employment once they move? They would be working in the farm sector, trains and cares for horses, not sure if thats under NAFTA, probably not. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any information of the avenues that can be taken.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks
Does you significant other want to just stay temporarily in Oklahoma or permanently?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM

67 posts, read 343,853 times
Does your SO have US citizenship? If so, and if the 2 of you want to get married, more avenues will be open to you.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM

51 posts, read 152,632 times
No, she has a passport and has only visited. It would be most likely be a permanent move to Oklahoma, not sure if I want to get married solely for citizenship purposes however, was hoping there would be a few easier ways...we are actually trying to get her sponsored as we speak, maybe with a company in OKC, so hopefully that works, I just didnt realize how hard it was to get a visa/citizenship, it looks pretty easy for me to live in Alberta however...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

741 posts, read 2,773,207 times
Generally your would be employer if they want to hire you has to sponsor you and get the ball rolling TN or H1-B type visa. Then if you stay long enough you can apply for Green Card stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada