U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 AM

26 posts, read 98,049 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a 23-year old Spanish girl, and I'm really interested in going for 4 months to Canmore to improve my English.

Does anyone of you live there or have been there someday? Because I would like to know some things about this canadian town, if it's safe, the weather (does it rain/snow a lot from October to February?), the people (races), if there are high schools with young people, or if it is one of these towns where the majority of the inhabitants are old people, etc.
Are there cinemas, shops, restaurants...? Is the majority of the people who live there native americans?

Any kind of information will help me, so thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM

8,538 posts, read 11,032,061 times
Canmore is an expensive bedroom community at the gates of Banff National Park.

The population consists of primarily a) Young people working in Banff, and commuting. b) Weathy people who have a weekend/vacation home in Canmore and c) the old residents of Canmore which are mountain hippies.

It is winter from October to February, and snow is standard issue, as are below 0 C temperatures.

There are effectively no natives in Canmore, however the Stoney reserve is located just east of town.

During that time, which is ski and vacation season, what few accommodations there are will be very pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada