U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:59 AM
 
1 posts, read 13,431 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

I have a pharmacy degree from Iran with 3 years work experience and seeking to immegrate to Canada. Can anyone advice me on best place to move to for its further education, weather and jobs? It seems every province has a different criteria. Is this the case? Thanks in advance.

 
Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 192,878 times
Reputation: 250
I would first suggest you examine this website- NotCanada.com | The Truth About Immigration To Canada and then decide if Canada is really the right choice. There are plenty of MBAs, doctors, and engineers who immigrated to Canada, doing work as janitors, cab drivers, and burger flippers. It's not the happy place it is made out to be.

I would suggest you consider the USA, assuming you can get approval to work here, something that will be more difficult than with Canada.
 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
485 posts, read 1,503,784 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I would first suggest you examine this website- NotCanada.com | The Truth About Immigration To Canada and then decide if Canada is really the right choice. There are plenty of MBAs, doctors, and engineers who immigrated to Canada, doing work as janitors, cab drivers, and burger flippers. It's not the happy place it is made out to be.

I would suggest you consider the USA, assuming you can get approval to work here, something that will be more difficult than with Canada.
Ohio, you meant immigration approval, no? Work approval and employer confidence is notoriously more difficult to obtain in Canada, especially from countries with reputations for schools with informal "buy an A" policies and substandard professional accreditation. People from the US/NZ/Aust/South Africa and from Western Europe do not seem to experience the same difficulties as those from the less developed parts of the world. Immigration and work permit approval (legal immigration) is notoriously more difficult to obtain for the US.

If I had a dollar for every so-called Electrical Engineer from a foreign 3rd world country who was bitter for not finding employment in his field in Canada (yet didn't even know how to draw or read an MS Visio diagram) I would be a rich man

What I'm trying to say is that both Canada and the US weed out those who are not up to our standards for their professions. The US does it while the person is still overseas (assuming employer sponsorship implies competency) and Canada waits until they get here. The US system is much more fair, in my opinion.
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
 
167 posts, read 1,040,674 times
Reputation: 161
there are many foreign trained pharmacist in canada. the only thing you need to know is it is a lengthy process. you have to take 3 exams including law and a viva. you need to be patient and focus on the long term goals. we were living in canada and cost of living is so hight that my husband started working in sales and marketing. he took the first exam and failed. then he met many of his batch mates working in the usa as pharmacist, he decided to take license in the usa which he found was little bit easier than canada. it took him 4 years to pass exams (with a full time job) and finish internship and we moved to the usa. but we know a couple of people who live in canada and became a pharmacist there.

you need to check with the provincial regulations for the foreign trained pharmacists. i am not sure about your visa status but we were permanent residents in canada and then became citizens.

it is not easy but you can do it!!!!!
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 26,380 times
Reputation: 10
Default How to immigrate to US as a pharmacist and canadian citizen

Hi Trusam
could you explain a bit about your husband's immigration to USA from Canada. Actually I am planning to do so. Like your husband I am a pharmacist and intend to get US license. Now please tell me what is the most effective and quick way of getting Green Card while being a canadian citizen and having US Pharmacy License. I know I should find an employer in US and get TN visa/H-1b/Commuter Green Card, but would you explain the process.
Thank you so much
Farval
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
there are many foreign trained pharmacist in canada. the only thing you need to know is it is a lengthy process. you have to take 3 exams including law and a viva. you need to be patient and focus on the long term goals. we were living in canada and cost of living is so hight that my husband started working in sales and marketing. he took the first exam and failed. then he met many of his batch mates working in the usa as pharmacist, he decided to take license in the usa which he found was little bit easier than canada. it took him 4 years to pass exams (with a full time job) and finish internship and we moved to the usa. but we know a couple of people who live in canada and became a pharmacist there.

you need to check with the provincial regulations for the foreign trained pharmacists. i am not sure about your visa status but we were permanent residents in canada and then became citizens.

it is not easy but you can do it!!!!!
 
Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 10,371,229 times
Reputation: 3697
Farval,

Please use our Direct Message system to pursue your inquiries with the other member.

Thanks.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 AM
 
2 posts, read 26,380 times
Reputation: 10
Whats wrong with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Farval,

Please use our Direct Message system to pursue your inquiries with the other member.

Thanks.
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 10,371,229 times
Reputation: 3697
Quote:
Originally Posted by farval View Post
Whats wrong with that?

Put quite simply, this is the Canada forum and you wish to discuss immigration factors regarding the United States.

US immigration has nothing to do with Canada.

Additionally, personal conversations belong on Direct Message rather than the public boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top